User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > This is the stuff

This discussion is about Mystery Creek # 89

The Discussion

BrookymanApril 16th, 2013, 9:17 pm
Banned
I am a "brooky-man" this is the only stuff I even fish anymore .3 reasons.

Perfectly beautiful brook trout !!!

Drinkable water !!!

And most important; No fricken people :-) If it is on the map, I am not there.

Mack.

I got me a 5.5 ft bamboo for 2wt that is heaven.
Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
Jmd123April 16th, 2013, 9:57 pm
Oscoda, MI

Totally with you on this one, Mack! I dig your philosophy. There's nothing like fishing beautiful small waters all by yourself. I have a small stream with many tributaries near me that I cherish, and it grows nice big brookies (and rainbows too!), and I almost never see anyone else there when I'm fishing. And my favorite stick - my 7.5' 3-weight - is just perfect for these waters. Besides all of that it's just an incredibly beautiful place - except when the deer flies come out! It's safe from me for about two months when that happens.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
BrookymanApril 16th, 2013, 11:03 pm
Banned
Hi Jonathon.

It is a paradise of its own. Some places here in Ontario there are no footprint, no garbage, and best of all no trail. Purple & orange not only are they my favorite colors but those brook trout are one of GOD'S
greatest achievements.

I will never kick away a bow or brown but i'll take the wild ones. What could
ever be better that a ultralight fly rod, 8x tippets, and a 12' wild
brook trout. Its like a bomb going off. I still have a week at least till I
can cast my line.

Mack.
Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
RMlytleFebruary 18th, 2014, 9:45 pm
Connecticut

You are speaking my language! I've been known to haunt tiny little trickles in the middle of nowhere, hunting for a diminutive but still grandly colored fish using size 16 Ausable Bombers, Royal Wulffs, and classic wet flies.
WbranchFebruary 18th, 2014, 9:55 pm
York & Starlight PA

This is what makes the world of fly fishers go round and round. While I can understand the beauty of seeing a lovely 4" wild brook trout I just can't understand pursuing them in little rivulets 3' wide when I can go out and tempt large 18" - 21" wild fish with dry flies on big water. But I'm glad you guys love to chase those pretty midgets as it keeps you, and the hundreds like you, off of the rivers I like to fish.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
BrookymanFebruary 18th, 2014, 11:08 pm
Banned
My favorite part is no people. And even sometime no garbage. I have caught more than my fair share of monster size trout. I don't even take pictures any more. I am in it for that special connection with earth, animals, and the brookies. Its all about being close to what it was like along time ago. If I was asked to pick between a 24" brown on a 6wt, or a 10" brookie on a 2wt. well there isn't much of a contest the brookie wins hands down every time. Plus the environment is often much more difficult with casting with so many trees everywhere its just such a challenge to even get close to the fish, let alone cast to them. Its just raw, rugged and unplugged from the world we know, I guess that is what draws me in. I can say the I have pulled many 14-16" brookies out of streams that are less than 3 feet wide, and 12"deep. Just because you can't see them doesn't mean they are not there !!!

Mack.
Jmd123February 18th, 2014, 11:38 pm
Oscoda, MI

"I can say the I have pulled many 14-16" brookies out of streams that are less than 3 feet wide, and 12"deep. Just because you can't see them doesn't mean they are not there !!!"

Yeah, Mack, that is the essence of small stream fishing. No, there are not numbers of big ones in there, but they are there, and when you catch them they just look even bigger coming out of those small waters. And like you say, less human traffic, fish that are dumber when it comes to flies, and little if any garbage. I posted some pics of the Pine River last August when the banks were covered in blooming wildflowers for miles (there's a lot out there in spring too) and I've pulled rainbows up to 14" out of there - and it even gets a steelhead run! Wouldn't trade the solitude of those small local streams, close by and easy access, to busier waters.

But, it depends on what your home waters are. For Matt, those bigger streams are his home waters, and he has plenty of nice big trout (and bass and even catfish) to show for it. Depends on where you can fish the most, you're gonna know it the best because that's where you spend the most time. Stating the obvious...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
BrookymanFebruary 19th, 2014, 12:12 am
Banned
Matt has some amazing home waters. I have some large water near me but there are just to many idiots that ruin it for others so I tend to stay away. We have way to many spin fishermen and very few fly fishermen. So the kill rate on fish near the city is very high. During the spring and fall runs there are 1000's of gutted fish on the river banks and I can't stand that crap. Because there are so few waterways that can hold fish because of the clay deposits and the warmer waters may streams have no fish sometimes not even a Chub. Ontario cut back everything years back. It is my understanding that for the whole Province of Ontario there is something like 20 M&R park ranger guys and 20 million bad guys. Whats the odds the fish do well ???? I wish we were more like the US with river fishing. We spend all our money on Steelhead, and Salmon for the lake.

Mack.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.