Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > cannot determine species

The Specimen

Psychoglypha (Snow Sedges) Caddisfly AdultPsychoglypha (Snow Sedges) Caddisfly Adult View 2 PicturesThis Psychoglypha adult was found clinging to my garage door in the evening on April 9, 2013. It measures 21 mm in length, from the front of head to the end of wings. It is my hope that Creno will be able to identify it to species based on the image of its genitalia. However, if other images are required for a species ID, the specimen is available, so they can be easily taken. Thanks, Roger Rohrbeck, Mercer Island, WA.
Collected April 9, 2013 from Spring Brook in WA
Added to Troutnut.com by on April 12, 2013

The Discussion

CrenoApril 13th, 2013, 10:56 pm
Grants Pass, OR

I cannot determine most species in this genus without clearing the parts and looking closely. Sorry.
TaxonApril 14th, 2013, 1:39 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Thanks Dave, I understand.

However, if you don't mind I'd like to ask another question. The four caddisflies, whose wings are lined up for purpose of comparison in the below photos visited my garage door on the indicated dates. I believe them to be of genus Psychoglypha. Do you agree?

Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
CrenoApril 14th, 2013, 2:14 pm
Grants Pass, OR

yup - they all appear to be Psychoglypha - it is a little hard to see the venation for a couple of them.
TaxonApril 14th, 2013, 4:51 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Thanks, Dave. The first two images were taken with my old Nikon Coolpix 5400 camera on macro setting. And, the last two images were taken with a USB digital camera through the trinocular port of my new stereo zoom microscope.

Would you suspect the 1st two images may be of a different Psychoglypha species than the last two images, or would it common to see that degree of difference between the wing markings of a single species?
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
CrenoApril 14th, 2013, 6:51 pm
Grants Pass, OR

interesting time on your post. 4:51 already? I thought we were in the same time zone now.

Anyway - I cannot say if they are the same species without having them in hand. I suspect the differences are more likely due to a combination of camera and light variability along with specimen variability. How old the adult is is always a factor, as well as how long it was preserved/dead and where it was stored (temp/light/etc).

As I have often indicated, caddis species (and usually genus)cannot be reliably determined by color. I am sorry but habitus pics/views of caddis do not provide enough information to make species determinations. If it could be done systematists would have done it years ago. Even taxonomists take the easy way when it is available :-)

What scope/camera did ya get? I like the wide FOV and always looking for improvements. PM if ya want.
TaxonApril 14th, 2013, 8:48 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi Dave-

We are in the same time zone. However, Jason's server is probably set to EDT, as the time stamp shown on your reply was 6:51 PM, and was first noticed at 4:40 PM PDT.

Would like to send you the two most recently collected specimens to examine in the interest of your being able to determine their species. If you are willing to do that, please PM me with your mailing address, and you preference regarding shipping (dry or ethanol-preserved specimens).

With regard to my new microscope, it's an AmScope Model SM-1T with optional accessories of an MU300 Digital Camera, and an 80 LED Light Ring. Certainly not a high end instrument, but it was affordable, and seems to work well for my purposes.

Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
TroutnutApril 15th, 2013, 3:29 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Nice photos, Roger!

You're right that the site's server is set to EDT.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.