Report at a Glance

General RegionOhio
Specific LocationSteelhead Alley
Fish CaughtSteelhead
Conditions & HatchesCFS on the drop.

Details and Discussion

Pryal74April 10th, 2013, 10:25 am
Escanaba, MI

I took a trip down to fly fish the famous Steelhead Alley with a few friends. The trip was cut short to 2 days. Still, we managed to get some decent footage... enough to make a short music video anyway. I hope you enjoy it.

It has been a long winter in the U.P. this year. It was nice to escape to somewhere not covered in 3 feet of snow and get back into some slob trout.

-James Pryal
Into The Wild Fly Fishing
LastchanceApril 10th, 2013, 6:12 pm
Portage, PA

Very nice video, James. Thanks. Who is the singer and the song?
Pryal74April 11th, 2013, 9:33 am
Escanaba, MI

Thanks. Eddie Vedder - Society.
-James Pryal
Kschaefer3April 11th, 2013, 9:40 am
St. Paul, MN

Nice fish, Jim! Glad you could get out and find some, or at least find some open water.
AdirmanApril 11th, 2013, 5:19 pm
Monticello, NY

Sweet video man!! Always enjoy your stuff! Hey, did you sneak up on that one lying real still next to that log? Nice!!

EntomanApril 11th, 2013, 5:57 pm
Northern CA & ID

Great video, Jim. What really stands out to me as a westerner (besides your usual great fish) is the stark bleakness of the landscape. All is a shade of dull brown - even the stream bottom! Hard to believe that in a few short months that same area will be lush and green. Winters are hard on your country...
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Jmd123April 12th, 2013, 1:23 pm
Oscoda, MI

Kurt, you are right about that! We do have conifers around here but it gets pretty dull and gloomy in the "cold season". I don't even know if we should refer to four seasons anymore, it's either COLD or WARM and that determines, for me, if I'm doing "winter" (x/c skiing & ice fishing) or "summer" (everything else incl. flyfishing) activities anymore. (Of course there are these ugly "transitional" periods we go through, like the one right now...) Once we FINALLY get our first REAL warm spell things will turn lush and green almost overnight and be almost dizzying. I get almost high off of it, like the intense scent of apple or lilac blossoms on a warm spring night.

Uh...OK...sorry, dreaming again! Looking out at ice and snow, thinking of Hennies and caddis...I haven't even gotten out my vise yet, and I've already wet a fly line!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Pryal74April 13th, 2013, 9:43 am
Escanaba, MI

Thank you Kyle. This area of Ohio reminded me a bit of the lower peninsula... or as we call it... downstate. Open wooded areas... lots. Very brown and dull in the spring. Very few conifers.

@Adirman, yes the water was incredibly low and clear... surprisingly cold as well. I saw a darker shape next to the log. It may have been spooked at one time.

@Entoman, it was refreshing going there and seeing no snow, signs of winter and walking on grass. Upon our return, the snow up here was about 3/4 gone. Then last night, another FOOT of snow. UGH!
-James Pryal
LastchanceApril 13th, 2013, 10:28 am
Portage, PA

Hey Jim. I'm 59 so I missed out on Eddie Vedder. I love music and I was listening to his stuff. It's great and I'm going to get me some. Thanks for broadening my artistic horizon.
Bruce
Pryal74April 15th, 2013, 3:30 pm
Escanaba, MI

Hey Lastchance. Glad I could help. He is by far my favorite artist. I have everything he has ever done. That's great you enjoy his music.
-James Pryal
EntomanApril 15th, 2013, 6:16 pm
Northern CA & ID

Ha! Me too Bruce. I only know about Seattle "grunge" and Pearl Jam (Vedder was their lead singer) because I had teenagers at home at the time.:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
FishermansMay 7th, 2013, 8:01 am
uk

great video.
A bad days fishing is better than a good day at work!
http://www.rainbowtroutrecipes.net
Pryal74May 8th, 2013, 10:35 am
Escanaba, MI

I tie a winter-black size twelve stonefly nymph pattern I made myself. I usually use an egg pattern with lighter natural colors with mcflyfoam. Also, I used a few streamers from a friend. They are a fantastic tie... almost felt bad using them, they looked so nice. I have no idea of the name of them.

Thanks. I wish we had more time to fish but... the time we had we made the most of it.
-James Pryal

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.