Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > More Variation, Page 2

Feathers5March 18th, 2013, 9:13 am
Posts: 287Color. Doesn't the underside of these nymphs appear brown/olive? I'm talking, Hendricksons, Sulfurs, Cahills, March Browns, etc. Am I correct? Please don't hesitate to set me straight.
Brruce
EntomanMarch 18th, 2013, 12:31 pm
Northern CA & ID

Bruce,

They run the gamut in the bottom huggers (crawlers & clingers). Imatures are often pale creams, tans, browns & grays underneath. As they "ripen", the undersides tend to take on the colors of the duns only usually exaggerated (more intense). The most common ones I run into turn yellow, orange, tan, and greenish olive.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
OldredbarnMarch 21st, 2013, 11:53 pm
Novi, MI

Eric...All I'll say is you started it...:)

Variation...I'm in a Vinny state of mind...

p 100, "There is a further limitation in the sobering and distasteful fact, easily observed, that there is no true uniformity of color in a given hatch of one species of mayfly. Let anyone try to establish for himself the correct color of the natural by examining and comparing not one, but many of the individuals of a single species during the hatch, and he will discover a variation so marked, in some cases, that he will forever despair of coming to a definite conclusion."

They were fairly bright way back in 1950...

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123March 21st, 2013, 11:57 pm
Oscoda, MI

Oh no, you've just given Spence an excuse to tie three more boxes worth...you might want to send him some Vicodan for his back!

;oD

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
OldredbarnMarch 22nd, 2013, 12:20 am
Novi, MI

Jonathon...

They are all tied up here over the last week or so, except for the spinners...:)

I have some old friends coming over tomorrow night so I had to try and make the basement presentable...What a job! It was a mess...I've been on a tying tear of late...

I'm taking a little break from cleaning before heading up to bed and just found a Starling feather stuck to my slipper...:)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
CrepuscularMarch 22nd, 2013, 8:45 am
Boiling Springs, PA

I'm taking a little break from cleaning before heading up to bed and just found a Starling feather stuck to my slipper...:)

Spence

That's better than finding the whole bird
Jmd123March 22nd, 2013, 1:16 pm
Oscoda, MI

I actually haven't tied anything since probably September or so. Well, it's about time to start again, maybe some fresh steelhead flies like Egg-Sucking Leeches since I'm actually contemplating that again this year. Once I get a fly rod in my hands again the urge will be automatic.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.