Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Tying technique

SayfuMarch 10th, 2013, 8:06 pm
I watched a fly tying demo and the tier used a rotary vice, the NOR-VICE. The tier palmer hackled a woolly bugger rotating the hook, and spinning the feather up the body to the head, and tying it off. He then said that if you wrap the feather, and palmer it in a fixed hook vice that the fly will rotate in the water when you strip it, but will not using the rotary vice method. True, or False?
TaxonMarch 10th, 2013, 11:50 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi Jere-

Doesn't sound logical to me.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
CrepuscularMarch 11th, 2013, 8:30 am
Boiling Springs, PA

False
SayfuMarch 11th, 2013, 9:22 am
Thanks, and it didn't sound logical to me as well. It put this balanced fly notion in my head, and wanting to avoid any rotating of the wet fly in the water. Then I read an article in FlyFisherman Mag. that said the standard tie for nymphs caused the fly to rotate in the water. I think they stated that you had to weight them, and get the nymph to ride hook point up? Not sure about how they stated to correct that. I didn't think that happened as well.
OldredbarnMarch 11th, 2013, 10:19 am
Novi, MI

I watched a fly tying demo and the tier used a rotary vice, the NOR-VICE.

Maybe he's a Nor-Vice rep??? ;)
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
WbranchMarch 11th, 2013, 11:32 am
York & Starlight PA

"True, or False?"

Malarkey, total undiluted sales rep BS, False. You should of asked him why the rotary vise method didn't replicate the same condition.

I will though say that when u palmer a hackle it can twist the hackle stem depending on how you wind it. But the twisting is easy to see and as I bring the hackle plier over the top if it is twisted I just untwist it before I complete the motion.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
SayfuMarch 11th, 2013, 12:44 pm
The problem I had with asking this guy is it could have been taken as a rebuttal, and this guy had TWO Doctor's degrees!! When this guy says a fish takes a fly for whatever reason everyone acknowledges! :) I like the guy, and he is the bug guru in our area that I have called on bug identification, and their behavior.
TaxonMarch 11th, 2013, 1:10 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Jere-

Advanced education is great, but rarely an adequate substitute for common sense.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Jmd123March 11th, 2013, 2:11 pm
Oscoda, MI

I tie my Woollies a little different than most people, perhaps. I tie a piece of wire about 4" long or so (mostly to give winding leverage, not that much actually gets used), color depending on the color of the fly, in just after I tie the marabou (and topping if included), and then after completing he body, tie the hackle in at the front. Then I palmer the hackle backwards to the top of the tail where the wire is tied in and then counter-wrap the wire over it forward, whip finishing at the head per usual. Mine generally don't spin! If your Woollies do, you can always add a set of eyes (bead-chain, brass/lead/tungsten dumbell, etc.) and then they WON'T spin!

Sounds like a Nor-Vice rep to me for sure...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
WbranchMarch 11th, 2013, 5:09 pm
York & Starlight PA

"and this guy had TWO Doctor's degrees!!"

Awesome! Are you impressed with his degrees or his fishing knowledge prowess?
Hopefully it is due to his fishing knowledge and not how many sheepskins he has hanging on his wall.

"When this guy says a fish takes a fly for whatever reason everyone acknowledges!"

Absolute acknowledgement of his holier than thou presence - he must love you guys!

I'm glad you like him though so I guess he must have some redeeming qualities. I love to meet guys like this at fly fishing shows or when they "hold court" on the river.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
EntomanMarch 11th, 2013, 7:38 pm
Northern CA & ID

Awesome! Are you impressed with his degrees or his fishing knowledge prowess?

Doesn't the former guarantee the latter, Matt?;)

The man set up shop behind his wagon in the middle of the dusty street and began his pitch to the gathering and curious crowd. "Ladies and gentlemen! Please grant me your attention as I regale you with life altering information! Do you suffer from gout, lumbago, or stomach disorders of any kind? How about heart palpitations, fatigue, sore joints or a tightness of chords? Headaches, tooth aches, or pains of any kind? Want to regain your youthful vigor? Well, my name is Dr. Thomas Doubtmeyer and I am proud to represent an amazing elixir that will cure all these ills and more!"
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
SayfuMarch 11th, 2013, 8:45 pm
Posts: 560My father was a practicing physician who had a doctorate, and it provided him the latitude to be an expert on most subjects. Hard to imagine someone with two of them, and what that entailed. :)
FalsiflyMarch 11th, 2013, 9:07 pm
Hayward, WI.

Dr. Thomas Doubtmeyer

Kurt, if you have Dr. Doubtmeyer's contact information would you please PM me? I'd like to try that elixir.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
MartinlfMarch 11th, 2013, 9:37 pm
Palmyra PA

Falsify, after you have had a few swigs, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to show you for a possible real estate investment.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123March 11th, 2013, 9:46 pm
Oscoda, MI

I have about 1/3 of a PhD - spent a year and a half in a program at Missouri U in aqautic entomology. Does that count for anything???

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
EntomanMarch 11th, 2013, 10:15 pm
Northern CA & ID

My father was a practicing physician who had a doctorate, and it provided him the latitude to be an expert on most subjects.

I remember a party where a Med doctor friend of mine harassed another friend who happened to be a very successful investment adviser. Playing with the stereotype he said simply, "Why should I listen to you? You only have a Masters."

"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
FalsiflyMarch 11th, 2013, 10:32 pm
Hayward, WI.

"Why should I listen to you? You only have a Masters."

On the flip side:
I too have a very good friend who is an MD and introduced him to a very successful auto sales business owner. Doc stuck his hand out for the compulsory handshake and the business owner stopped just short of accepting his hand and said, "Sorry Doc but I know where that hands been." The whole place erupted into laughter.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
EntomanMarch 11th, 2013, 10:38 pm
Northern CA & ID

Kurt, if you have Dr. Doubtmeyer's contact information would you please PM me? I'd like to try that elixir.

Unfortunately I don't, Al. The labels on every bottle in the case strangely faded over time and are now quite illegible.
GutcutterMarch 11th, 2013, 10:42 pm
Pennsylvania

... "Ladies and gentlemen! Please grant me your attention as I regale you with life altering information! Do you suffer from gout, lumbago, or stomach disorders of any kind? How about heart palpitations, fatigue, sore joints or a tightness of chords? Headaches, tooth aches, or pains of any kind? Want to regain your youthful vigor? Well, my name is Dr. Thomas Doubtmeyer and I am proud to represent an amazing elixir that will cure all these ills and more!"

spit

"How is it with stains?"

All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
EntomanMarch 11th, 2013, 10:50 pm
Northern CA & ID

Ha! Yes, particularly tobacco infused on white suiting... ;)
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.