Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > What do you think?

FalsiflyMarch 6th, 2013, 4:39 pm
Hayward, WI.

Trout Fishing Restrictions - It is illegal...

To remove insect larvae from any trout stream or spring hole tributary to a trout stream for use or sale as bait except that a licensed angler may take insect larvae or nymphs from trout streams by hand during the open trout season for their immediate personal use as bait in the stream from which taken and all such larvae or nymphs must be returned to the stream prior to leaving the stream from which taken. By hand means no use of small seines or nets or other devices.

As it is stated above do you think that any person could legally collect insect larvae or nymphs, by small seine or net, for specimen collection?

Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
CutbowMarch 6th, 2013, 4:51 pm
Post Falls, Idaho

As it is stated above do you think that any person could legally collect insect larvae or nymphs, by small seine or net, for specimen collection?

Looks like that would be illegal in that state. Is that Wisconsin fishing regulations you're quoting?
"Once you catch your first fish on a fly you won't care about any other kind of fishing!"
EntomanMarch 6th, 2013, 5:49 pm
Northern CA & ID

I think it is fuzzy. The regulations are clearly addressing commercial purposes. Since it is legal for individual anglers to take for private use as bait it is clear that the law is not a blanket proscription against collection, but rather a particular purpose. The mention of nets and such I assume were put in place to make it impractical to collect for commercial use with subterfuge and make it easier for enforcement agents to tell the difference from a distance in the field. I would check with your local field office as it seems to me this is one of those laws that could be interpreted differently by the individual officer, depending on his mood and how the "cut of your jib" is sized up.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
CrepuscularMarch 6th, 2013, 6:07 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

In PA we have to have a "scientific collectors permit" to collect aquatic organisms. I woud check your state's regulations.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.