Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Fly Boxes, Page 3

GutcutterFebruary 17th, 2013, 5:06 pm
Pennsylvania

One reason I chose the box is that I do wade very deep sometimes, and have often propped a box open on the back windshield deck of my car to dry flies out.

When wading deep for extended periods, the seals will leak. The boxes are more or less waterproof, but try to keep them from becoming "submerged" for long periods of time. They do float, and when under sustained water pressure (trapped in a vest pocket) the external water pressure against the internal air pressure will cause the seals to fail.

I have four of them, and unfortunately I know this is true. I only wish I remembered that each and every time I'm trying to inch my way out to the big riser just out of range. Just a few feet further...

All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
MartinlfFebruary 17th, 2013, 11:26 pm
Palmyra PA

Kurt, I don't know, but it has the slot for the insert. Hmmm.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
LastchanceFebruary 18th, 2013, 3:18 pm
Portage, PA

Not the first time. :)

But, Bruce, if you mean the C&F boxes leaked, this is the first one for me, so I was propping up my old boxes to dry them out. My standard box is a homemade job made from pill boxes, with removable inserts. 28 compartments and very customizable. But not so great for bigger flies. I think I'm going to like the C&F, and the capacity can be increased by alternating the way you face the flies. With size 18 emergers I can use every slot in the row.

Just kidding, Louis, I'm sure you'll love it.
Bruce
EntomanFebruary 18th, 2013, 3:55 pm
Northern CA & ID

...but it has the slot for the insert...

I thought you'd notice that. Here's a couple of photos that show what goes in it. One is my streamer and big nymph stillwater box. The other is an empty spare to give you a better look. Unlike the small boxes where the leaves take up too much space for dry flies, these leaves close flush with the very top of the bottom of the box, leaving plenty of room for dry fly wings and hackle. The only bummer is they are one sided but that is because the lid is so shallow:

"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
RisenflyAugust 6th, 2013, 1:58 pm
Pennsylvania

The one really important thing you need to remember about waterproof boxes is that not only do they keep water out of your boxes, but they also keep water in. When using one throughout the day and putting wet flies back in, be sure to open up your box and let them dry out after ever trip. If not, you'll have a whole box full of rusty hooks.
www.risenfly.com

Fly reels, lines, boxes and accessories. Rods coming in 2014!
Page:123

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.