Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Fly Boxes, Page 2

WbranchFebruary 13th, 2013, 4:55 pm
York & Starlight PA

"My biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.
-- Koos Brandt"

I'm lucky my wife has never asked me how much I paid for any fishing tackle I've bought over the last 21 years. Surprisingly not even when I bought the Hyde and trailer. I think I did tell her how much I paid for the bass boat and trailer as it was going to be parked in the back yard and I figured she'd ask because the boat and motor looked so new.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
OldredbarnFebruary 13th, 2013, 11:06 pm
Novi, MI

How'd you like to lug all these around in your vest, Spence?:)

Whoa brother! You look prepared there! I may be able to squeeze in a midge box or two. :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanFebruary 13th, 2013, 11:52 pm
Northern CA & ID

Yeah, that's not even the half of it. Those are the working boxes that this topic spurred me to inventory for holes (a few I had even forgotten about).
I've got stacks of giant Planos and a host of other fly boxes that....

Certain members of my family have long since bothered to even shake their heads. It is somehow comforting to know other Troutnuts share the same phobia. It's obvious that we refuse to be "fly challenged." There are never enough...:)

Only a little more down time left as the Skwala hatch should be starting on the Yuba soon and perhaps Pyramid will be better this year...
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Feathers5February 14th, 2013, 9:37 am
"As far as C & F fly boxes they are way over priced. You can buy the same thing, just as nice,"

Well, maybe, but I tried a couple C&F knock-offs I found on Ebay and they suck. Far fewer slits per row and the box is actually an inch or more longer than my 3" x 4" boxes and it has fewer rows. I want my boxes to look sharp. I use those dogs for sucker spawn, estaz and glo-bugs.

I have seen a couple that look decent; they have the slits and a little triangle cut-out right by the slit so I think you can locate the slit easier by putting the bend of the hook into the open triangle and pushing the fly back. That is a nice feature but you can't get 22 flies side by side with that style box. Many of my rows that are nymphs or emergers are 22 side by side. Most of my duns are every 2nd slit and spinners are every 3rd slit.

Well, Matt, I guess I'm not that particular. Hopefully I can show you mine one day in person.
Bruce
OldredbarnFebruary 14th, 2013, 4:06 pm
Novi, MI

It is somehow comforting to know other Troutnuts share the same phobia. It's obvious that we refuse to be "fly challenged." There are never enough...:)

Truer words were never spoken! :)

I went to a tying show this past weekend and came away thinking that the "never enough" is certainly true...Tying seems to be hitting its stride these days...Everytime someone says that "there is nothing new under the sun", someone trys to prove them wrong.

The variety of materials available, the quality of the hooks out there...Mind blowing.

There was a young group of "smallie wackers" tying flies that were almost the length of my forearm! I teased them that there was enough left over material lying on the floor under their tying area to keep us all busy this winter...Kelly Galloup's flies looked like minnows in comparison.

Foam is pretty much established now. Rubber silli-legs are everywhere. EP fibers. Enough flash material to decorate every Troutnuts Christmas tree next year...A lot of creative things going on right now.

This show was sponsored by the Huron River Fly Fishing Club so there were a few more bass type flies than one might see elsewhere, but I was impressed with it all.

It seems that with every new generation of "youngbloods" there is an attempt at slash and burn, cast & blast, go big or stay home, rock-&-roll about their stuff. They go through this phase, hormonally driven no-doubt, for awhile and then they settle in, buy a 3 or 4wt, and then try and tell me what I've already known about dry-fly fishing like they discovered it or something...Like they have to reinvent the wheel..."That old gray beard can't know anything about...well anything...Can he?" :)

If it keeps them interested and they stay out of my fishing holes I say no harm no foul. :) Knock yourselves out kids...Come on in, the waters fine!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
BoulderWorkFebruary 14th, 2013, 5:27 pm
Posts: 29I have a particular preference towards Richardson chest fly boxes for organizing and holding my flies:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/108682864/IMG_0646.jpg

Box on left is for Spring Creeks and Tailwater fisheries.

Box on right is my brand new Delaware River chest box.

I am trying to keep it simple an minimize the number of boxes I carry...

Sincerely,

BoulderWork
WbranchFebruary 14th, 2013, 5:54 pm
York & Starlight PA

Hello Boulder,

Nice to see you come to the Forum.

"I have a particular preference towards Richardson chest fly boxes for organizing and holding my flies:"

Yes, they are great boxes. Yours both look like new! At one time I had three, two three tray and one four tray. I still have one original Rex Richardson, black, three tray with the magnifier and suede leader pouch. I sold two last year and am debating about selling my last one as I've not used it in over ten years.
OldredbarnFebruary 14th, 2013, 8:40 pm
Novi, MI

What does the inside of one of those chest packs look like? How many flies will they carry? I have thought about one but it didn't seem like a great idea...bad back...I would of just added it to everything else and weighted myself down more. :)

Spence

BoulderWorkFebruary 14th, 2013, 10:19 pm
Posts: 29WBranch - Long time since we have talked - and since we last met in person at YB shop in Allenberry.

I think you should use the box as it really keeps it simple and easy to reach - my newest Delaware box now includes a magnifier and light holder.

It has taken me about a week to transfer and organize the other 3 tray from a 30 year old original 5 tray. The 3 tray is solely focused on limestoners and local tailwaters. Unfortunately - I cannot hold an extensive collection of specific monthly mayfly dun designs - ie Hendrickson, Invaria, etc and I must use specific smaller boxes for dun designs (cut wings, Truform, Catskill, etc).

The Delaware box is a work in motion - need to complete some specific mayfly and caddis ties.

Trying to keep it simple yet insure that I am prepared for most hatching scenarios. One box minimizes confusion and potential loss of fly boxes.

BoulderWorkFebruary 14th, 2013, 10:32 pm
Posts: 29I will post pics of each box and layout later. Generally speaking, each box and individual tray can be customized based upon your requirement. Felt pads, ridge hard foam pads, softer foam pads, individual sub compartments are some options to hold your flies.

In terms of the number of flies that can be held - mind numbing numbers with flexible organization. Very rugged and durable design that really eliminates the discomfort of holding and managing a number of boxes scattered across your vest that takes your concentration away from observing the river while wading or rowing...
WbranchFebruary 14th, 2013, 10:58 pm
York & Starlight PA

"WBranch - Long time since we have talked - and since we last met in person at YB shop in Allenberry."

You seem to have me at a disadvantage; you know who I am (my fame precedes me??) yet I don't know who you are. Please enlighten me.

"In terms of the number of flies that can be held - mind numbing numbers"

Yes, I agree. With patience and careful placement and utilization of the tray covers you could probably have at least 150 #16 - #20 nymphs, emergers, & split tail spinners on each lid. So that's 600 right off the bat. Then in the tray of the first compartment (that used to be my nymph area) you could put another 150 there. In the three compartmentalized trays I used to put 8 - 10 dries in each compartment, so there is another 150 x 2 = 300. That's a 1000 + flies.

There are a couple of things to keep in mind with these boxes; if you fall face foward virtually every fly in the box will get wet and you will have a real mess on your hands. Secondly God forbid you should let it out of your sight too long and it might get legs and disappear or, and I can see this happening, you could leave it behind and lose it. Ouch! WTF!
BoulderWorkFebruary 15th, 2013, 8:56 am
Posts: 29WBranch - you offered me to join you on a drift trip down Delaware River after a short conversation near rod section in YB shop about 6 to 8 years ago.

I was formerly the HydeLowRider on other website.

I have taken the liberty to take multiple pics of my three Richardson Chest fly boxes. In terms of comfort, if I had boobs - maybe it would be discomforting - but I depend on my girl for that momentary distraction - I need to tie flies and juggle other tasks! The Richardson Chest Boxes use a criss cross strap to hold the box flush against your chest. No strain and ease of access. Secondly, in terms of lost boxes or having them stolen - one box is easier to manage then multiple objects. I have a fear of dropping my small boxes or wallet streamer in the drink while losing my mind over figuring out what the trout is feeding on that moment. The Richardson box never has to leave my possession - even while sleeping - until I remove it.

Pics:

Three Richardson Chest Boxes. Three tray, 5 tray and 30 year old 5 tray, Wooden box is main fly storage:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/108682864/IMG_0664.JPG

Two mint Richardson Chest Boxes. Three tray, 5 tray side by side.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/108682864/IMG_0646.jpg

Richardson Black Three Tray Box. 1st tray - closest to river - allows multiple felt liners to hold nymphs, emerger, wet flies, scuds, shrimp, etc.
Felt Liners allows front and back retention of flies.

Unopened tray:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/108682864/IMG_0648.JPG

Opened tray with goodies (Scuds, Shrimp, Emergers, Wet-flies):
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/108682864/IMG_0650.JPG

Opened tray with olive goodies (Baetis, Pseudo, Cornuta, duns, spinners, emergers, cripples, nymphs, etc.)
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/108682864/IMG_0651.JPG

Opened 3rd tray (terrestrials, midges, micro caddis, major caddis, major mayfly goodies); deeper tray with foam lid.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/108682864/IMG_0653.jpg

Front picture of mint Richardson Chest Box Delaware River 5 tray. Notice flipped out magnifier, light and dry fly floatant holder. Leather straps.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/108682864/IMG_0655.JPG

This box is being specially created to target all of Delaware River Trout hatches, streamers, etc. It sort of my personal temple of trout love to the best damn river in the world.

First tray, unfilled. This will be my Olives tray. I have a little work to accomplish here.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/108682864/IMG_0656.jpg

The second and third chest trays are modular in that I can remove and replace internal trays with specific patterns based upon the time of the year.
For example early Gray colored insects for early season. Sample modular trays:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/108682864/IMG_0662.jpg

Second tray, unfilled. This will be my Sulphur dries tray. (Invaria, Dorothea, Hebe, etc..) I have a little work to accomplish here.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/108682864/IMG_0659.jpg

Third tray is same design. This will be my Caddis tray. Caddis Adult designs.

Fourth tray is my nymph, wet-flies, emergers, stonefly nymphs and nymphs tray. Modular removable felt liners.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/108682864/IMG_0665.jpg

The last, but not least tray is my mayfly, large trout fly tray. Perfect deep tray with modular inserts to allow me to increase internal space based upon the size of imitation. Love my Brown Drakes and Coffin Spinners….

Fifth tray.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/108682864/IMG_0660.jpg
WbranchFebruary 15th, 2013, 9:56 am
York & Starlight PA

Boulder,

"WBranch - you offered me to join you on a drift trip down Delaware River after a short conversation near rod section in YB shop about 6 to 8 years ago."

You Sir have an amazing memory. You would be a lawyer's dream witness when he asked you where you were on May 15, 2007 (or whenever)

The only recollection I have of ever speaking to anyone at the YB fly shop was about that length of time ago. I remember speaking to a fellow somewhat younger than I and he said he had, or was going to buy, a Hyde and that we should get together. I remember at least giving him my number but never heard from him, or saw him again anywhere. If that is not you then I forgot the encounter, not because I wasn't interested, but just because I meet alot of fly fishers and if we don't make a specific date to get together it just gets out of my memory.

Do you have a Hyde, or other, drift boat now? I see you like to fish the Delaware. Where do you live? If we spoke that long ago I was still working, or about to retire. I retired at the end of April 2005 and only fish the Delaware during the week, usually driving up early Tuesday morning and going back home early FRiday morning,

PM me if you want to get together for a float.

Matt
BoulderWorkFebruary 15th, 2013, 10:16 am
Posts: 29WBranch - I am the same guy. Yes, I bought a Hyde Low Rider - and fished it every month from April through October from 2001 until 2005ish. I sold the boat to a regular camper at Caucci's campground who retired early.

I am eyeballing purchasing another drift boat - per my avatar name. Need to hit the Delaware again...

We need to meet - Saturday - I am fishing on YB in a hopeful snowstorm with my new fly box and scud patterns.

I am saving my new Helios 10 for 5 weight and new Nautilus Reel for the Delaware in April. If you want to meet for a cup of java and compare flies - let me know. I live in Frederick City - Frederick County- about :60 away from Allenberry. Out of curiosity - are you going to Lancaster show this month? I need to meet some guide / author friends to catch up.

Let me know.

MartinlfFebruary 15th, 2013, 5:11 pm
Palmyra PA

Many thanks again to all for the tips. I settled on a C&F waterproof box 7.75 X 4.5 X 1.65 inches. It appears deep enough that if I keep small flies on one side it will accommodate up to size 14 comparaduns on the other side. Avidmax had it for $37 with free shipping. It will fit perfectly in my chest pack and with 376 slots, it should hold plenty of flies, though all slots won't be usable. I like the knock offs, and they have many good reviews from happy customers, but to get the exact dimensions and number of rows I wanted (16 total) I had to go C&F.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
EntomanFebruary 15th, 2013, 5:39 pm
Northern CA & ID

Excellent choice, Louis. It's a little heavier, but you won't have to worry about your flies getting wet if you wade a little deeper than anticipated or trip for a good soaking...:) If you haven't owned one before, there is something that you need a heads-up on. When you get home from fishing, it's a good habit to prop it open for a day or so. You never know when a little water may get in when you are fishing. I learned this the hard way. I have no idea how it got in. Perhaps a drop from my hands or some unnoticed spray from a riffle. What I do know is that all the hooks had rusty spots the next time I opened the box a few days later. All I can think of is that that tiny amount of moisture must have converted to high humidity from sun being on the box or something. The boxes seal so well that it doesn't take much. That was many years ago and I haven't had the problem again after adopting the above habit. But, I live in a low humidity state. I would imagine your Summers could cause the problem from just trapping your 90% humidity air in it. Anyway, something to keep in mind...
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
MartinlfFebruary 16th, 2013, 10:18 am
Palmyra PA

Thanks, Kurt. I wouldn't have thought of this, but it makes a lot of sense. I'm sure wet fingers transfer moisture easily and that it wouldn't take a lot to rust some hooks. One reason I chose the box is that I do wade very deep sometimes, and have often propped a box open on the back windshield deck of my car to dry flies out.

--Fred Chappell
LastchanceFebruary 17th, 2013, 3:11 pm
Portage, PA

Thanks, Kurt. I wouldn't have thought of this, but it makes a lot of sense. I'm sure wet fingers transfer moisture easily and that it wouldn't take a lot to rust some hooks. One reason I chose the box is that I do wade very deep sometimes, and have often propped a box open on the back windshield deck of my car to dry flies out.

Louis, you got ripped.
MartinlfFebruary 17th, 2013, 4:27 pm
Palmyra PA

Not the first time. :)

But, Bruce, if you mean the C&F boxes leaked, this is the first one for me, so I was propping up my old boxes to dry them out. My standard box is a homemade job made from pill boxes, with removable inserts. 28 compartments and very customizable. But not so great for bigger flies. I think I'm going to like the C&F, and the capacity can be increased by alternating the way you face the flies. With size 18 emergers I can use every slot in the row.

--Fred Chappell
EntomanFebruary 17th, 2013, 5:04 pm
Northern CA & ID

You guys....:)

Louis, do they still make the insert one-sided swing leafs for them? I think I paid 12 bucks or something for mine. One will really up the capacity of your box. It's deep enough that you can still keep 12 dry flies in it without mussing them.
Page:123

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.