Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Novice Entomologist here

754cromero has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.8X larger)
754cromeroFebruary 3rd, 2013, 11:50 pm
Posts: 2Seeing some of the great pictures on this website, I wish I had something better than a point-and-shoot to take the pictures I did. That said, I'm not looking for a species identification, but just want to make sure I'm on the right track (Order or Family is good enough for me) of identifying this insect. The only thing I can imagine this being is a hellgrammite, but it still doesn't have all the spines I'd think of with a hellgrammite. (So, if others concur it is a hellgrammite, why does it not have the spines? age? species?)

Other info: it is about 1 inch long, and crawled onto my waders in the Smith River in Virginia.

Thanks.
CrenoFebruary 4th, 2013, 1:10 am
Grants Pass, OR

Howdy - this is indeed a larvae - one of the many free-living Rhyacophila species. Probably one of the R. fuscula group but I cannot see enough of the head/thorax color pattern to be sure about which species.
PaulRobertsFebruary 4th, 2013, 10:56 am
Colorado

Look up Rhyacophila in Google images and ... off you go: ID, habitat, habits, fly patterns, etc... . Start by searching this site for a lot of great images and discussion about Rhyacophila or just about anything else you could find clinging to your waders or in a trout's stomach.

BTW: Welcome.
OldredbarnFebruary 4th, 2013, 11:14 am
Novi, MI

I love this site! Where else can a newbie post an iquiry and have Dave answer it?! Our own favorite caddis bug guy...:) Thanks sir!

Welcome cromero! That is a nice photo from a tyers standpoint...Dave is a pro and, as he said, would need more to id to species for you...Close enough if you ask me...I could see a gold bead head with a light olive/celery colored body...

You can see why the trout find these critters yummy...That is a good bit of protein for a fish.

Anglers...If you are mayfly-opic you are missing the boat...A trout can munch on these all day and never have to visit the dangerous surface and there would be nary a buldge to give him away...Can you spell, "searching fly"? ;)

Those steelheaders already know this...See www.defranksflies.com Check out his Kazulen's Caddis.

Spence

...and then Paul Robert's to boot! :)
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
754cromeroFebruary 6th, 2013, 4:37 pm
Posts: 2Thanks for the quick and courteous replies! I did fall in to the trap of thinking (all) caddisflies built shelters.

Thanks again,
Charles
Jmd123February 7th, 2013, 6:28 pm
Oscoda, MI

I believe this specimen is typical of what many fly fisherman refer to as a "green rock worm", and there are many good fly patterns to imitate this group of species. Confirmation from Spence or others? Also, these are net-spinners, no?

Welcome to the forum, Charles! You'll find plenty of "bug-nuts" on this site. (Perhaps it should be called "bugnut.com" instead??...at least the way all of the posts are going as of late - not too many of us are out fly fishing so we gotta do something else...)

;oD

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
TaxonFebruary 7th, 2013, 8:04 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Jonathan,

Also, these are net-spinners, no?

Net spinners are in superfamily Hydropsychoidae and look more like this:

Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Jmd123February 8th, 2013, 1:46 pm
Oscoda, MI

I thought I was wrong - thanks for correcting me. What do these "green rock worms" eat, are they predacious? Guess I could go look it up in Gary Lafontaine's "Caddisflies", I do have a copy...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
OldredbarnFebruary 8th, 2013, 2:39 pm
Novi, MI

are they predacious?

Yes...They have a fondness for black fly larvae...Yum! No? :(

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TaxonFebruary 8th, 2013, 2:46 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi Jonathan-

What do these "green rock worms" eat, are they predacious?

Yes, primarily. Among the (~126) Rhyacophila species are predators (engulfers), a few scrapers, collecter-gatherers, shreders-herbivors (chewers) per Glen B. Wiggins.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.