Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Just wondering about this one Epeorus larval

This topic is about the Mayfly Species Epeorus deceptivus

This western species distribution somewhat overlaps both Epeorus longimanus and Epeorus albertae and they often occur together. This species is not as common or important. Read more...

The Discussion

BrookymanJanuary 15th, 2013, 5:38 pm
Banned
Hey everybody I just did a color illustration of Epeorus longimanus based on a sample from the biodiversity group collection @ the university of Guelph. This one bares a big resemblance to that sample.
This one seems more transperent but it is a living sample, and the ones on the site are in preservative.
The median posterial terga bands and the head capsule shape is what made me think this maybe E. longimanus.

Just wondering if this is E. longimanus and if so can it be label it as such ???

Here is the sample I worked off of.

http://v2.boldsystems.org/views/taxbrowser.php?taxid=355131

Mack.
Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
EntomanJanuary 15th, 2013, 7:05 pm
Site Editor
Northern CA & ID

I think it's possible you're right, Mack. Though this specimen is an immature it still has both fuscous macula (tannish gray indeterminately shaped marks larger than a spot) on the femora as well as 1st gills reaching under the abdomen anteriorly. This combination of characters may work for a longimanus immature, but its gills should be overlapping and have small femoral dots on a mature...

I'll move it. Thanks!
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
BrookymanJanuary 15th, 2013, 10:10 pm
Banned
WOW Holly crap I got one right. Thanks Kurt now I can paint the underside of my illustration cause that was the only potential one to show a ventral view..

Mack.
Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
EntomanJanuary 15th, 2013, 10:15 pm
Site Editor
Northern CA & ID

Knock yourself out but are you sure you want to diagram an immature? The ventrals look quite a bit different.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
BrookymanJanuary 15th, 2013, 11:15 pm
Banned
I will use it for a baseline till I find a older sample. BTW which group is this species in ??? It looks more like the pleuralis group as to body configurations.

Mack.
EntomanJanuary 16th, 2013, 12:24 am
Site Editor
Northern CA & ID

Webb & McCafferty '06 reiterate the longstanding division of the eastern nymphs into two groups based on a difference in gill morphology. The pleuralis group having gills 1 greatly enlarged anteriorly, reaching well under the body and the vitreus group where they are not enlarged as much. This means longimanus would be the western equivalent of the pleuralis group. The caveat is there may still be outstanding issues as groups were previously divided over adult characters not in sync with those based on nymphal ones. It's possible this has yet to be resolved. Hopefully, Jeff will read this at some point and add clarification if possible.

BTW - Sorry for misleading you a little, but this specimen is probably not longimanus. It is more likely the another AK species, deceptivus. It clearly lacks the meeting to overlapping gills underneath and small dark dots mid-femur of the mature longimanus, but further development of this nymph may have shown these features. On the flip side, the presence of gray irregular blotches on the femora is not supposed to be a deceptivus trait, but they may have faded or coalesced into the broad pale gray ovals indicative of this species with more development. Immatures are tricky at best and usually a waste of time.:) Click on this for a gander at a longimanus immature. Notice the small dark dots on the femora and how closely the gills meet underneath? http://flyfishingentomology.com/forum/Replies_Display.php?t=0051

Regardless, it's surely one or the other so I moved it to further discussion.
BrookymanJanuary 16th, 2013, 2:46 am
Banned
WOW gills # 1 are almost touching like rhithrogena. I will have to poke around on Roger site more. I have been reading through that 2006 paper that's where I got familiar with some of the species and looking at Jason's photos.

Here is another good paper on E.frisoni not sure but I believe it was a (Burain 2008) paper, click the link.

http://www.ephemeroptera-galactica.com/pubs/pub_b/pubburians2008p277.pdf

I see what you mean regarding deceptivus click on this sample of one
it too is a immature one.

http://v2.boldsystems.org/views/taxbrowser.php?taxid=15524

Mack

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.