Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > C.K.Lively remembers Paul Young

OldredbarnDecember 31st, 2012, 1:26 am
Novi, MI

http://fun801.homestead.com/files/rw19me.htm

Maybe everyone has seen this, but in case you haven't...I was banging around on the web and found a site that is dedicated to Paul Young and I found this article...Thought I'd share the link.

Happy New Year all!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
CrepuscularDecember 31st, 2012, 8:31 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Thanks for posting Spence. A nice read on this New Year's Eve.

Eric
OldredbarnDecember 31st, 2012, 1:13 pm
Novi, MI

http://quashnet.clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/

This is the link directly to the Paul Young rod site...If you are in to cane, an interesting spot...

Over the years I have had the chance to talk with collectors and have heard stories of guys with vaults filled with collector rods...I suppose its good that they are safe there, but I'd sure like to take them for a test drive! :)

My brother-in-law is a motor-head from way back and he would call those stored rods "trailer-queens"...

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanDecember 31st, 2012, 3:41 pm
Northern CA & ID

Thanks, Spence! No better time of year to wax nostalgic... Man, I'd sure like to have a look at that little pamphlet that Chauncy was talking about. I have a similar sounding one from Winston when Merrick was at the helm and they were still in S.F. Other than updating a little for a few new models (recognizing the swing back to longer rods) it hadn't changed its look or format since before the War. When I grew up Leonard and Payne had the reps for the best rods for delicate close-in work, but if you wanted to push line, you needed a Winston or an E.C. Powell (not Walton). I never cast or fished with one but my understanding was the Young rods were pretty good at both. Were he and Wes Jordan (the guiding hand at Orvis in those years) on the same page regarding tapers and the use of "modern" glues and resin impregnation?
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
OldredbarnJanuary 1st, 2013, 1:29 pm
Novi, MI

I have a picture stored here somewhere of Vince Marinaro casting one of his own on the South Branch of the Au Sable...

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/review/112607.php

Here is the link with the photos of "Vinny" on the Au Sable.

The "science" of our sport is interesting...The working out of tapers etc, Harvey and his leader constructions...Entomology...Fly construction...It is a damn sight more interesting than watching a bobber on a Michigan pond/lake and napping in the summer sun. :)

Spence

I forgot to mention that I do own a cane rod. I have told the story here before about how a friend of a customer of mine found a rod in the attic of a home he had purchased...It is a "Challenger" rod from a company called Old Faithful Rods that was addressed in the same building as Wright & McGill in Denver. I have discussed it a bit with guys on the Classic Fly Rod Forum and they have explained that the Old Faithful Rod Co was a company W&M had created to sell some lower end versions of Granger rods...Something like that...The rod itself looks like it was never fished. It had an aluminum reel seat and a lower quality cork in the handle...

MartinlfJanuary 1st, 2013, 2:47 pm
Palmyra PA

Another good one for Auld Lang Syne, as Kurt notes above. Thanks, Spence. I always enjoy your posts, and hope to wet a line with you one day, my friend and cyber fishing buddy. Happy New Year and tight lines to all Troutnuts far and wide.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.