Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Winter on Big Spring Creek, Page 2

Jesse has attached these 6 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (4.5X larger)
Big Rainbow?
Big Rainbow?
Geoff Merker with...a bigger rainbow?
Geoff Merker with...a bigger rainbow?
Rick working on some fish.
Rick working on some fish.
Beautiful spawning bed.
Beautiful spawning bed.
Winter on Big Spring Creek (wow).
Winter on Big Spring Creek (wow).
This wasn't near Big Spring, but i couldn't resist the "drive by" temptation to snap a photo.
This wasn't near Big Spring, but i couldn't resist the "drive by" temptation to snap a photo.
JesseJanuary 7th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Well 'W' the teaching is possible from the both of us, and the meeting is perfectly doable if you ask me. I will give you a week or two notice before i head to Big Spring Creek again, and you can let me know whether you can join or not. Hows that sound? I would love to fish with you man it'd be a pleasure.
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
PaulRobertsJanuary 7th, 2013, 5:05 pm
Colorado

Sounds like a good cabin fever breaker.
WbranchJanuary 8th, 2013, 1:49 am
York & Starlight PA

Jesse,

"I would love to fish with you man it'd be a pleasure."

Thank you for the invitation to fish BSC. I appreciate the gesture but to be honest with you BSC is too far of a venture for me for to consider it. Admittedly those were nice rainbows but wouldn't you agree they are more the exception than the rule for that creek?

Even though I've lived in PA since 1984 I have only considered a few that I would consider driving more than an hour to get to. While I love spring creek fishing and have done so on Armstrong, Nelsons, Benhardt's, Thompson (Belgade, MT) Poindexter, Spruce Creek, and others I normally only fish them to rising trout with dry flies.

Don't get me wrong I'm not an elitist, nor a purist, but I just prefer to fish for rising trout with dry flies. I often hang a nymph on a short piece of mono behind my dry fly but I don't consider that nymphing in the traditional high stick method. I prefer to keep my nymphing confined to my pursuit of steelhead.

Two streams in PA where I fished more than a few times, and have enjoyed the experience, are the Tulpehocken in Berks County, and Spring Creek in Centre County. Normally , even in the cooler months, I can find a few rising fish.
In the very early spring, when the Catskill waters are too cold and high I venture over to the lower end of the Yellow Breeches where I have found very good Ep subvaria emergences. I also enjoy the woodsy feel of Clarks Creek in Dauphin County and the pretty brookies that PA stocks there.

But as soon as water temperatures are staying at the 50 degree level, and above, for a few days I pack my bags and head on up to my cabin on the WB of the Delaware. That is where you will find me Tue - Thu every week until the end of june when I make my annual trip out to Montana.

Maybe we can hook up on the Delaware. I have a Hyde drift boat, two pontoon boats, a 12' Perception 2 person kayak, and a Poke Boat. I'm always looking for a partner to float the main or WB in the Hyde or the upper EB in the Perception.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
AfishinadoJanuary 8th, 2013, 8:16 am
SE PA

Jesse,

"I would love to fish with you man it'd be a pleasure."

Thank you for the invitation to fish BSC. I appreciate the gesture but to be honest with you BSC is too far of a venture for me for to consider it. Admittedly those were nice rainbows but wouldn't you agree they are more the exception than the rule for that creek?

Even though I've lived in PA since 1984 I have only considered a few that I would consider driving more than an hour to get to. While I love spring creek fishing and have done so on Armstrong, Nelsons, Benhardt's, Thompson (Belgade, MT) Poindexter, Spruce Creek, and others I normally only fish them to rising trout with dry flies.

Don't get me wrong I'm not an elitist, nor a purist, but I just prefer to fish for rising trout with dry flies. I often hang a nymph on a short piece of mono behind my dry fly but I don't consider that nymphing in the traditional high stick method. I prefer to keep my nymphing confined to my pursuit of steelhead.

Two streams in PA where I fished more than a few times, and have enjoyed the experience, are the Tulpehocken in Berks County, and Spring Creek in Centre County. Normally , even in the cooler months, I can find a few rising fish.
In the very early spring, when the Catskill waters are too cold and high I venture over to the lower end of the Yellow Breeches where I have found very good Ep subvaria emergences. I also enjoy the woodsy feel of Clarks Creek in Dauphin County and the pretty brookies that PA stocks there.

But as soon as water temperatures are staying at the 50 degree level, and above, for a few days I pack my bags and head on up to my cabin on the WB of the Delaware. That is where you will find me Tue - Thu every week until the end of june when I make my annual trip out to Montana.

Maybe we can hook up on the Delaware. I have a Hyde drift boat, two pontoon boats, a 12' Perception 2 person kayak, and a Poke Boat. I'm always looking for a partner to float the main or WB in the Hyde or the upper EB in the Perception.

Matt,

You may be missing "the boat" by not fishing Big Spring. While most of the other streams and rivers you mentioned are frigid and/or locked up with ice, the water temp hangs around 50* pretty much all winter in the upper section.

You can always fish scuds and cressbugs underneath, or even fish sculpins imitations to target the bigger fish, but all winter long you have a decent chance to run into a baetis hatch on BS to fish (especially on a cloudy day).

Also, I can't say catching a big bow there is that unusual and chances are you should hook a really nice brookie or two. Just saying. Good luck - good fishing.
Feathers5January 8th, 2013, 10:33 am
Send me a PM. It would be an honor for you to fish with me.
Bruce
CrepuscularJanuary 8th, 2013, 11:02 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Jesse
Bruce

This is some thread! :)
WbranchJanuary 8th, 2013, 11:34 am
York & Starlight PA

Afishinado,

I hear what you are saying but it seems like such a long ride for what for me has been virtually no reward. I looked at Mapquest and compared the distance from my house to Newville, and from my house to Rebers Bridge on the Tulpehocken and surprizing to me is that BSC is just a few miles further away yet in time it is about a 20 minutes longer drive.

I have had a lot of good times on the Tully in the late winter and into March with midges and many rising trout. I seldom fish it from early April until about mid July but then go up a couple mornings each week for the Trico action.

If it was easier to upload some pictures to this forum I'd show you, and others, why I'd just as soon drive two more hours to my cabin on the WB and catch basically 100% stream bred rainbows and browns with many 18" - 20" fish every seasson.

I used to be able to upload larger pics but something got screwed up and this is the best I can do. Maybe I'll put some up in the photography section.

< />
PaulRobertsJanuary 8th, 2013, 11:49 am
Colorado

GRrowf! Snarl. Snarl. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

There. I feel a little better.

Now... where was I? Oh yes... Have you noticed the shadows are shortening and the sky is a bit brighter? And soon we'll all be blissful again (Unless you're "Gonzo of the North" -he's probably happily skiing). Interesting how, in the very beginning of fall as shadows lengthen I begin to have vivid hunting dreams -often partially obscured antlered critters out ahead, with soft ground between us. Then in late winter I begin to imagine free-flowing streams and trout moving under dark water.

What was this thread about? Oh yes, winter fishing. Not much more to add, beyond congrats Jesse. Good to hear you're staying happy. I'm only checking in here. I'm still dreaming of snowshoe hares in champagne powder. Now... it's back to work. Hey, is that the UPS driver?? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-OWF!
LastchanceJanuary 8th, 2013, 7:19 pm
Portage, PA

Jesse
Bruce

This is some thread! :)

Just kidding.
MartinlfJanuary 8th, 2013, 8:16 pm
Palmyra PA

Bruce, About the thread, or fishing?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Feathers5January 9th, 2013, 9:54 am
Posts: 287Hey Louis. I was just joking with Jesse. Jesse doesn't know me, but I'm not an arrogant person. I'm certainly no expert, and I'm learning all of the time, even at 58. I love to meet new people. Fishing is also a social event for me.
The Best

I bet my dad can beat up his dad!
JesseJanuary 10th, 2013, 7:47 pm
Matt, prince, sir Mathew - if i have to come to the Delaware then i guess ill see you on the Delimeatsandwich itself.
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
JesseJanuary 10th, 2013, 7:51 pm
And Matt also, since that was my first time on that piece of water, maybe those fish are the exception rather than the rule. But not everybody would be lucky enough to have such an exceptional experience if you know what i am saying.
CrepuscularJanuary 10th, 2013, 7:58 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Those fish are not the exception. That's pretty much the reason that stream draws the number of anglers it does.
WbranchJanuary 10th, 2013, 8:21 pm
York & Starlight PA

Jesse,

"Matt, prince, sir Mathew"

Many of my subjects refer to me as "His Royal Highness, King Matthew".

If you can ever make it up to the Delaware in May or June & during the week (I consider mid April to late August to have great fishing but May and June are, imo, the most predictable) PM me a week in advance and we can do a float if you want. I normally don't put the Hyde in the upper WB. Too many guys to try and go behind and it is a heck of a long float from Deposit to Balls Eddy. I prefer to either put my two man kayak in at Hale Eddy and wade fish and take it out at Balls Eddy. Or put the Hyde in at Shehawken on the main and take out at Buckingham.
EntomanJanuary 10th, 2013, 10:29 pm
Northern CA & ID

:)LOL Great thread...
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
JesseJanuary 12th, 2013, 7:09 pm
haha yep..
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.