Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Help! I Need To Know If I Should Buy This Rod!

TrowingflysDecember 18th, 2012, 8:18 pm
hillsdale, mi

I found a guy that was given a fly rod as payment for some work and just wants to sell it. All he knows is that the rod says that its an L.L. Bean 8ft. 5-6 weight. I've searched and searched and my nearest guess is that its a Quest II. not 100 percent sure of that though. If i can get this rod for 40 bucks does this sound like a good deal? My only rod is my first rod which is a Cabelas package rod 9ft 4wt. I've been thinking of picking up something to put some sink line on for throwing streamers but dont have a huge budget after buying my fly tying setup. THANKS!
RisenflyDecember 18th, 2012, 10:47 pm
Pennsylvania

LL Bean has a lifetime warranty on all products no matter what. If it breaks you can take it back and they'll replace it. I'd jump on it. That would be a good small stream rod.
www.risenfly.com

Fly reels, lines, boxes and accessories. Rods coming in 2014!
JesseDecember 18th, 2012, 11:23 pm
I would definitely jump on that if i was you man. Most of your lowest end rods that are available today don't sell for that cheap. Especially if they come with a lifetime warranty. As long as it's not cracked or missing a tip top; get that bad boy!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
Kschaefer3December 19th, 2012, 8:59 am
St. Paul, MN

My first setup was a Cabelas package as well. They're not bad, but this rod is probably better. For $40, I say go for it.
PaulRobertsDecember 19th, 2012, 10:57 am
Colorado

LL Bean has some good rods.

BUT... I'd suggest you not buy a rod just bc it's there. I see a 5/6 as being on the light end for sinking lines and streamers -unless you're talking small stuff (#8 and under). And 8ft is a tad short for streamer fishing IMO. I see an 8ft 5wt an ideal all round trout rod for mid-sized streams and small hooks.

The 9ft 4 you have is close enough to cover the lighter end of FF, at least on mid to larger waters. If you want to build a functional arsenal I'd suggest an 81/2ft or 9ft 6/7 for streamers. If you need a shorter rod from your 9fter for smaller trout streams I'd probably choose a 7-1/2 4/5.

If you need to decide between an 8ft 5/6 and tying stuff, I'd get the tying stuff.

Just some thoughts.
EntomanDecember 19th, 2012, 12:34 pm
Northern CA & ID

I agree w/ Paul. Though it may be a good deal, money spent on a rod that doesn't properly fill a need is money wasted. Personally, I can't think of a situation where an 8 ft. rod (made of graphite) in that weight class would be optimal. Too long for tight quarters (and a might more powerful than necessary) and not as good as the longer rods for the rest. Bamboo and fiberglass are a different can o' worms, though.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
TrowingflysDecember 19th, 2012, 12:45 pm
hillsdale, mi

thanks for all of your input guys. i think i'm going to go for it. The river i fish is really quite narrow and i think it would be a decent rod to throw the smaller streamers i plan to throw. YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME! THANK YOU!
PaulRobertsDecember 19th, 2012, 2:56 pm
Colorado

Enjoy. Sounds like you'll make it work for you. Can't beat a rod you really like.
TrowingflysDecember 20th, 2012, 1:05 pm
hillsdale, mi

I finally found the rod online that i'm going to pick up tonight! turns out its fiberglass and made by l.l. bean in the 80s. here's a link to where i found it. http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11900 this rod has the same markings this guy on the forums had. i'm pretty excited to try this out and at 40 bucks it sounds like a good deal! i'll make sure to check for damage before buying even more now knowing its a fiberglass rod
StrmanglrDecember 26th, 2012, 4:11 pm
Got an LL Bean rod myself, bought it for $30, my go to rod, love it.
WbranchDecember 26th, 2012, 7:07 pm
York & Starlight PA

I didn't read any of the other posts so what I'm adding may be redundant but IMO an 8' rod just does not have the length to really be considered an all around streamer rod. You want a longer rod, say 9', and at least a rod that is rated to carry a #6 WF line. An even better choice would be a 9' tip action rod designated to carry a #7 line. With such a rod you can comfortably throw 50'-60' of line for hours without experiencing fatigue. Such a rod, in the hands of a good fly caster, will throw little #12 trout streamers and still have the guts to throw a #1 Clouser with lead dumbell eyes.

Many guys on the forum could probably throw 40'-50' that little 5/6 8' rod but it wouldn't be pretty and it would be a lot harder to keep the backcast from slapping on the water due to the weight of the fly.

Edit: I just saw your comment "turns out its fiberglass and made by l.l. bean in the 80s."

Save your $40 and throw in another $40 and buy a modern graphite rod. That 1980's fiberglass rod is probably a very soft rod and unless it was fished very little it likely needs to be re-finished. You'll wind up having to spend more money on technology that is thirty years old.

There are numerous new graphite rods there for less than $60. I'm going to PM you a link so you can look at them yourself.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.