User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > The Honor of owning a ANTIQUE book

BrookymanOctober 25th, 2012, 10:46 pm
Banned
The Honor of owning a ANTIQUE book

In the late 1970 I saw a book and wanted it for Christmas. The
book was Hatches. At the age of 14 in 1982 I got a copy of that book. A quest started that very day. In the reference section I saw two books that I thought would be the ultimate to read or maybe one day own. What kid wants this kind of stuff, me I was into bugs and fly fishing at the age of 7 and in a club too.

The books listed that I wanted where. The biology of a mayfly, and the Taxonomy & Ecology of Stenonema Mayflies. I dream that one day I might be able to own maybe just one, of them.

May years had gone by, and I now possess both books.

The reason for sharing this is, we here all have that love of this sport and science. And by very rare opportunity I was able to obtain a

[ never used brand new FIRST addition of the biology of mayflies ].

Ironically this book sat on the shelf of a bookstore in Vermont from 1937 till last year when I had the pleasure to a get hold of it for $ 75 bucks. What a great gift !!!

The other thing to share regarding that book is . If you own a copy and wish to protect it, do like I have done. Look around for one of the hard cases for National Geographic magazines. As you can see in one of the photos it is a “PERFECT” fit.

Mack.

Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
OldredbarnOctober 27th, 2012
Novi, MI

Mack,

Very nice. It looks in wonderful shape...I don't know whats been going on with me lately, but I suppose its due to losing some friends from the WWII generation over the last few years...I attended a funeral yesterday for a friends mother who was 93.

I've seen some folks who basically had it all together only to lose it rather quickly. Even the best of planning ultimately failed them. What they wanted to happen with their estate after their passing, didn't. Make sure you let others know how special that book is to you and to others and don't let it sit on another shelf for decades or become lost because someone has no clue about its worth.

Back in the late 70's early 80's I had a professor that I was hoping would be my graduate advisor. His name was Wesley Gould and he had written, in 1955, a book called, "An Introduction to International Law". I was trying to impress him and went looking for this book which I obtained and it too was a first edition.

One day, after class, I walked with him back to his office and showed him the book and asked him to autograph it. He was stunned and asked me where I had found it. The book had been out of print for years and other than his own copy he could not find one himself to give to his grown children who were my age.

The book is priceless to me...I need to do something myself to make sure its not lost if something were to happen to me...

I also have a couple nice books autographed by Harrison Salisbury...Not too many remember him :). Chauncey Lively signed a copy of his "Flybox" for me, and Rusty Gates signed his "Season on the Au Sable" to me...

You have a wonderful book there.

Spence

I also have a signed book from Gordie Howe and an autograph to me from Sid Abel on a card they produced when he was inducted in to the Hockey Hall of Fame...It's a great photo showing him holding off another player with one hand and controlling the puck with the other...The ref in the photo was wearing a pull over sweater and a tie! Those were the days...:)
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
BrookymanOctober 27th, 2012, 3:35 pm
Banned
Hi Spence how are you did Have a great trout season. Ya the book is a once in a life time opportunity. Its rarely is out of the case.

Ah Spence the smell alone is GODLY its a jump to the past in seconds. My son is the keeper of all my manuals and this book. Nobody but me can open it for there is not one crease tear, or fold anywhere, and in respect I demanded that it stays that way. Really what was the odds of that find !!! never even opened before.

With a book like that I more so would have guest that they didn't print enough copies. And the fact that it was 75 dollars ??? I see used copies hitting 600 buck quite often.

Your book story in my opinion is much more in impressive, with the internet, and some effort we can find anything, that's how I got mine. But you my friend found yours before the computer age making that a massive quest , well done.

I knew that we here of all people, needed to have the chance to re-minis over this copy, we have all earned that by scratching our heads for knowledge..

Mack.
Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
OldredbarnNovember 2nd, 2012, 1:12 pm
Novi, MI

Mack,

Didn't want to bring it up, but what we gonna do without hockey?

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123November 2nd, 2012, 5:50 pm
Oscoda, MI

Spence, you're just gonna have to go...winter steelhead fishing! I may actually talk myself into giving it a try around here again soon, as I'm hearing fish are in and some are even hitting! Otherwise, I would start untangling my tip-ups if I were you...gonna be a grim one with no hockey...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
OldredbarnNovember 3rd, 2012, 1:10 am
Novi, MI

gonna be a grim one with no hockey...

I hear you brother!

Just heard that they cancelled the Winter Classic that was to be in the Big House at U of M...It was going to be Detroit vs Toronto...Ouch!

Spence

Jmd123November 3rd, 2012, 10:31 am
Oscoda, MI

Oh maaaaan, what a bummer!!! Dang, that would have been a good one, two close rivals from opposite sides of the Detroit River...

BTW, back on subject...Mack, that is truly a treasured find. I too love old books and have a few in my collection, none on mayflies or other fly-fishing topics but some on botany, history, etc. That looks like a fine tome you have there and I would certainly strive to maintain it in good shape. I bet it's interesting reading!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
EntomanNovember 3rd, 2012, 2:34 pm
Northern CA & ID

I wonder who has Ernie's well worn copy with all those notes in the margins... I assume his son Erik or perhaps a museum? Now there's a priceless piece of angling history!!
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
TaxonNovember 4th, 2012, 6:55 am
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Hi Mack-

I too am the proud owner of The Biology Of Mayflies by Needham, Traver, and Hsu. The first thing I did after acquiring a copy perhaps (6) years ago was to create an index, which incorporated the most recent taxonomy. The index saves a lot of time when one wants to look up a mayfly species description. However, there have been numerous taxonomic updates since I originally created the index, so I just finished revising it to reflect the latest (March 12. 2012) Mayfly Central species and synonyms for North America.

If you (or anyone else for that matter) would like a copy of my updated index, please PM me with your email address, and will be happy to email you a PDF copy of it.
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
BrookymanNovember 5th, 2012, 5:56 pm
Banned
How are you Roger.

I did get a copy awhile back and would love the newest up dates.

Mack.
BrookymanNovember 5th, 2012, 11:00 pm
Banned
Hello there Jonathon how was your fishing session.

Ya that book means the world too me. I just yesterday told my sister about the story. I even showed her the highlighter marks in my early Hatch's copy.

What thrilled me was How nice it fits in that National Geographic case.

Everybody in my family knows what that book is, and why it is very well guarded. You can find used copies on ""ABE"""?? books online they range in price from $ 225 and up. I just got major league lucky on mine.

Spence I am not really a sports guy. I had a real bad back injury in football when I was 13 and stop play all sports BUT fly fishing.

Mack.
OldredbarnNovember 5th, 2012, 11:24 pm
Novi, MI

Spence I am not really a sports guy. I had a real bad back injury in football when I was 13 and stop play all sports BUT fly fishing.

Sorry to hear that Mack. My back started to head south on me in 2000. Before that I never had a problem. Turns out it was degenerative and I ended up in surgery in 2005 and then again in 2007.

At one point I had a doctor of physical therapy tell me to give up playing hockey and fly fishing. He thought, at the time, that I had curvature of the spine...This turned out not to be the case. When I was told this I was in a panic and basically tried to ignore it until I could no longer...Hockey stopped in the spring of 2003, during my teams playoffs...I still fished, though in serious pain, and tilted to the left by 30 degrees.

Anyway...Considering how quickly it can be taken away from us, every day astream is pretty damn special in my book.

Thanks for sharing you treasure with us.

Spence

BrookymanNovember 6th, 2012, 4:09 pm
Banned
It truly is a Honor to have the opportunity to own a share that story.

I know all too well about the back surgery. My sons mother died 3 years ago for a spinal fusion many years ago. The back is nothing to play around with. I still watch some sports just the finals and the big game.

(:I love a good Superbowl party:)

Mack.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.