Scientific name search:

> > Anyone with experience fishing trout in Tennesse's stocked streams

Report at a Glance

General RegionTennessee
Conditions & Hatchesfair weather

Details and Discussion

MeridanmanMay 27th, 2007, 7:35 pm
mississippi

Does anyone have experience or advice about fishing the stocked trout waters of Tennessee ?
John3:16
MartinlfMay 29th, 2007, 7:12 am
Palmyra PA

I have very limited experience with these streams, but have heard that wooly buggers work pretty well on Elk River, and suspect that this standby will work almost anywhere. Good luck.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
TrevorCJuly 20th, 2007, 1:10 pm
Interlochen, Michigan

Depends on where you are talking about. What part of the State?
I'll see you down on the river...
ChiefAugust 23rd, 2007, 4:21 pm
Bellevue, Nebraska

I had a guide, Carolyn Hartsell, take me up on the Little River in the Smoky Mt National Park and she used a fly called the Smoky Mt Blackcrow, which she says is her husbands own fly. It worked well, we caught a nice brown in a riffle with it. I only got two fish in 5 hours but considering the water was low she said I had a banner day on the Little River. Try the Holston she told me.
http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com/
this is there web page.
Life's tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid. (John Wayne)
DavezAugust 24th, 2007, 5:42 am
Pennsylvania

i fished the caney fork this year end of june. it was very good. very good.

it is in close proximity to nashville and there is alot of access.

watch for snakes.
JOHNWAugust 24th, 2007, 1:47 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Dave,
I've fished the South Holston, Watauga, Doe, and Beaver Dam. Four very different rivers all uniquely interesting. The TVA tailwaters are tricky due to the release schedule and some access issues. Huge trout in them though.
John
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
TrevorCSeptember 7th, 2007, 11:50 am
Interlochen, Michigan

My best friend just moved to Lebanon TN, and has been fishing the caney fork, and reports great fishing. Different to what he is used to though. He hasn't caught anything on flies, but reports great success using chrome or silver flatfish with a single hook.

My experience is around Gatlinburg TN.

I fished mountain streams in the Smokeys. I caught alot of small trout.

I took a friend of mine's son down to one of the Childrens stocked rivers that flow through Gatlinburg. We had a lot of fun, and he caught his first trout. (I couldn't convince him to throw them back though. He wanted to take them back and have them for dinner. So we did. I'll post a picture on the photography message board. Nothing like a kid catching his first trout, or did the trout catch him?...
I'll see you down on the river...
IrishanglerFebruary 11th, 2008, 7:56 pm
Posts: 12I live in SW VA and enjoy fishing the Tennessee stretch of the South Holston. Its got some really big trout, both rainbows and browns. They see a lot of flies, but woolly buggers still work well. An Orvis guide recommends egg patterns, too. It can be a little tough to get accurate reports for the dam release schedules.
The only downside to fishing the Holston is the growing problem of bad characters breaking into vehicles, specifically those with fly gear in them. They know what they're looking for, so don't leave extra rods, tubes, or gear visible. The local law officials have supposedly stepped up patrols.
2weightfavoMarch 7th, 2008, 6:12 pm
Posts: 1I live in Eastern TN and fish the Great smokey Mountains alot, the Hiwassee, the Little River (which is stocked outside the national park) and tellico. I fish somewhere every week, and I must say for stocked fish its real hard to beat the good ole Pheasant tail. Don't short your drift thogh, for some reason the stockers love to hit it on ther swing. If I had to pick one stream though it would be Tellico. The mix of stocked and wild fish is great, and you have the chance for a HUGE brown..

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.