Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > flying materials, Page 2

DUBBNSeptember 2nd, 2012, 7:43 pm
Colorado

Thanks for the tip Softhackle

No birds were run over in the making of this pattern.
It's OK to disagree with me. I can not force you to be right.
SofthackleSeptember 2nd, 2012, 10:38 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

DUBBN,
Nicely done! That'll take fish!

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
OldredbarnSeptember 3rd, 2012, 2:44 pm
Novi, MI

Dubbn & Mark...Nice work there boys! I'll take a couple dozen...:)

Actually, I'll need to try these...They will have to get in line with my other experiments. Besides the "old-reliables" I have these experimental flies that I have been carrying around for some time waiting for the situation, they were tied for, to actually appear. :) My guide buddy keeps asking me, "Spence. When am I going to see some of those experiments in action? Lets get a couple of them wet!"

Maybe I'm over thinking it a bit...

Spence

PS Charlie Craven's site is wonderful and well worth a visit...For years now he has been nice enough to put up with my emails filled with tying questions. He has always been gracious enough to help a tyer out. He is one of those guys that I think can actually crank out flies when he's asleep. He has a million wonderful tricks that are very helpful buried in those tying instructions.

Charlie has always been a supporter of the late Shane Stalcup and some of his flies are in my boxes...
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
SayfuSeptember 3rd, 2012, 3:41 pm
I always have to "tweek" patterns. I added some tail fibers. Then I wire wrapped the abdomen like a Copper John with the exception that I left a small gap between the copper wire wraps...then the gill stem wrap between the copper wire....bumped up thorax of peacock herl, and my Partridge softhackle behind my root beer small glass bead....looks absolutely awesome.
The wire gives it a little sparkle showing through..a little more wt. to initially break the surface some, and the wire protects my gill stem from a toothy break.
SofthackleSeptember 4th, 2012, 8:32 am
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Sayfu,
your variation sounds great! Would love to see it.

Spence,
Charlie is a gem, and while I've never met him, I've been in a couple wingless wet fly swaps with him and we've conversed, some, online.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
DUBBNSeptember 4th, 2012, 4:03 pm
Colorado

Sayfu,
your variation sounds great! Would love to see it.

Spence,
Charlie is a gem, and while I've never met him, I've been in a couple wingless wet fly swaps with him and we've conversed, some, online.

Mark

Mark and Spence, Charlie is as good in person as he is in correspondence. I get to see him a few times per year. If he is not completely over run with customers, he will sit down with you and tye a pattern if you might be struggling with it.

As skilled as he is, I believe he is even more humble. The man has great manners, and always says thank you . Even if you didnt buy anything.

If he has ever seen your picture online, do not be surprised if he recognizes you when you walk in his store.

I swear he knows alot of people, but I have yet to hear him name drop. Thats a quality right there.

If you get a chance, meet him. You won't be disappointed.

Wayne
It's OK to disagree with me. I can not force you to be right.
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.