Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > 55 gallon aquarium tank for raising trout

AdirmanAugust 20th, 2012, 11:30 am
Monticello, NY

Guys;

Was wondering if anybody knows anyone or they themselves may have a 55 gal aquarium tank? I'm a teacher and am trying to start a trout in the class room program for my conservation class.

Any info/help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Adirman
PaulRobertsAugust 20th, 2012, 12:40 pm
Colorado

Contact TU -Trout Unlimited. They have a trout in the classroom program that has been running for years now. Google it and you'll likely find some sites discussing it.
WestCOAugust 20th, 2012, 11:48 pm
Palisade, CO

Paul are you involved with TU in the Grand Valley? I tried to do an intro to fly fishing deal in my classroom last year, contacted them, and they had absolutely nothing to offer. I'm just wondering if I got them at a bad time or something. I ended up doing good stuff through the DOW but I really wanted TU to get involved so the kids were familiar with it.
...but fishermen I have noticed, they don't care if I'm rich or poor, wearing robes or waders, all they care about is the fish, the river, and the game we play. For fishermen, the only virtues are patience, tolerance, and humility. I like this.
PaulRobertsAugust 21st, 2012, 1:16 am
Colorado

My exp with local TU in FF education was ... not helpful. Different focus really; Too quick to have kids doing manual labor planting willows or stocking fish before they even knew why. Stewardship requires a sense of ownership which requires quality experiences that inspire, with enough boots in the water and rubber on the road to motivate.

I mention TU only bc I know a guy who runs a trout-in-the-classroom program and he used the national TU model directly. I'd pass you on to him but he flat out does not do computers.

Here's the link:
http://www.troutintheclassroom.org/

EntomanAugust 21st, 2012, 2:35 am
Northern CA & ID

My exp with local TU in FF education was ... not helpful. Different focus really; Too quick to have kids doing manual labor planting willows or stocking fish before they even knew why. Stewardship requires a sense of ownership which requires quality experiences that inspire,...

So true!!!! My experiences with local chapters as well. :(

Once got involved with a "planting of willows and other habitat improvement" on the little Truckee back in the late 70's. All our work (dozens of people worked their asses off over several days) was wiped away the next Spring with very high flows (based on the decisions of bureaucrats dealing with other water use issues). What's more important for these organizations is putting the effort into public awareness and long term projects.

Having said that, I would think your classroom endeavors could be helped immensely by contacting the organization, if not for leads to individuals who have a lot of experience with what you are trying to .
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
AdirmanAugust 21st, 2012, 8:43 am
Monticello, NY

Guys;

I have not contacted TU directly but see its listed as a supporting organization on the troutinthe classroom website and potential funder of the program, along with several others. Once I get up and running, I may contact them for additional info involving trout conservation efforts,stream restoration, etc. I understand that if I attend this conference in the fall, held in Hyde Park,NY I can get the trout eggs from the state hatchery in Debruce. Gonna check Craigslist and maybe E-Bay today for 55 gal. tank. Thanks for the input,

Adirman
GutcutterAugust 21st, 2012, 8:48 am
Pennsylvania

Paul wrote
My experience with local TU in FF education was ... not helpful

I'm sorry to hear that.

Stewardship requires a sense of ownership which requires quality experiences that inspire, with enough boots in the water and rubber on the road to motivate.

I couldn't agree more.

From my local Chapter Newsletter -
PennsWoods West #042 (celebrating 50 years in 2013)

On a chilly Saturday, March 31st morning at North Park, March went out like a lion, or rather a trout...
For a fifth straight year, over 300 families of McKnight Elementary (North Allegheny School District) participated in this year’s Trout in the Classroom Finny Friend Release at North Park. Kids released over 180 brook trout from this year’s project and learned about cold water resources, trout habitat and the life cycle of a trout.
Students from Kindergarten through Fifth Grade named and released their finny friends on Saturday, March 31st at the Upper Pond near the North Park Boathouse. Each student received a “Trout Ticket” and was able to name their Finny Friends prior to the release.
Some of this year’s favorite trout names were
“Fishtina Aguilera,” “Cupcake,” “Sidney Troutby,” “Reeses,” “Google,” “Optimus Finn,” “Sizzle,” “Squirt,” “Jaws,” “Finn McMissile,” and “Pebble.”
McKnight Elementary plans to participate in the 2012-2013 Trout in the Classroom project next school year.

There has to be a motivated instructor.
But also money - from National TU, State TU Council, Local TU Chapter, private donations, and School District budget.

Without leadership, nothing happens.
Without funding, nothing happens.
Without student interest, nothing happens.

It's the instructors job to develop student interest and arrange (beg, borrow and steal) the funding.

A tough job in our current economy.
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Feathers5August 21st, 2012, 9:12 am
Bruce
PaulRobertsAugust 21st, 2012, 11:38 am
Colorado

Let me qualify my comments on TU. I'm not meaning to come off as denigrating them. Each chapter can have a different focus. A major interest is looking for and repairing trouble spots in trout habitat. Many do have an active interest in education, usually lead by individuals who are motivated to make it happen.

In my efforts at FF/aquatic eco education I ended up arguing that you don't start by looking for trouble to fix, unless the students are already invested. I found that if I advertised "ecology" or "science" or "stewardship" I'd end up with a few prof's kids and home-schoolers. When I advertised "fishing", I got everybody. I then built that all important sense of ownership. From there, you can go anywhere.

Adirman, I believe I've managed to take this thread on a different trajectory. I hope I'm not sounding like I don't think T in the C is a good idea, or starting point. I was just going back and remembering some experiences I had with a TU chapter that involved some young kids that were put to work before they even knew what they were working for. It wasn't the TU chapter's fault, but someone who wanted another "photo op". You know, money is important, but not when you lose sight of the ball.
GutcutterAugust 21st, 2012, 3:50 pm
Pennsylvania

Let me qualify my comments on TU. I'm not meaning to come off as denigrating them.

I didn't take it like that at all. Anybody who has been around an orginization like TU for any length of time would be able to tell the same story.

When I advertised "fishing", I got everybody. I then built that all important sense of ownership. From there, you can go anywhere.

If you could only harness that energy to the less glamorous aspects of aquatic stewardship...

It wasn't the TU chapter's fault, but someone who wanted another "photo op". You know, money is important, but not when you lose sight of the ball.

Notice that Mr.Shane (the instructor) was not even mentioned in the article I posted. He will probably be pissed that I mentioned his name here.
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
AdirmanAugust 21st, 2012, 4:27 pm
Monticello, NY

Your comments were very informative and helpful, thank you for sharing your experiences.
WestCOAugust 21st, 2012, 8:34 pm
Palisade, CO

You guys have got me thinking. Each year we get a day called "Enrichment day" where we get to choose our own curriculum and kids sign up for it. Last year I did a thing about fly casting, intro to all the gear, and a segment on beginner ento stuff just so they knew why you use different flies, and what the general flies are trying to do. It was alright, but it could've been better.

Well we are fortunate enough to be a magnet school because we have a program for the best and brightest in the valley. These kids are always looking for something off the grid. If I start now, I wonder if I could get TU to put together something that has to do with understanding streams and ways to help protect and rehabilitate them. I'm not qualified to teach anything like that alone, but man I'd love to be a part of instilling that stewardship.
...but fishermen I have noticed, they don't care if I'm rich or poor, wearing robes or waders, all they care about is the fish, the river, and the game we play. For fishermen, the only virtues are patience, tolerance, and humility. I like this.
AdirmanAugust 22nd, 2012, 6:21 am
Monticello, NY

West CO, are you talking about a high school that you wish to implement this program in? I teach high school and would very much like to bounce ideas off you if you want.TU does have some sample lesson plans and activities on their trout in the classroom website BTW if you're looking for some ideas/structure. PM me if you'd like

Thanks,

Adirman
PaulRobertsAugust 22nd, 2012, 11:34 am
Colorado

When I advertised "fishing", I got everybody. I then built that all important sense of ownership. From there, you can go anywhere.

If you could only harness that energy to the less glamorous aspects of aquatic stewardship...

One can -through mentorship. Kids love to fish. Take them. Support them to do it. Make it happen for them. Show them quality. Kids develop their aesthetic sense in their early teens. If fishing and traipsing around on rivers and streams becomes a real and successful part of their lives, it's apt to stick. When a kid looks at you and says, "I LOVE this!", that's inertia in the right direction. These kids are open to learning, going deeper into what makes watersheds tick. Stewardship requires knowing what you are looking at, which requires education. Education requires motivation to learn. It's a circle. Start at the beginning and it can take on a life of its own.

Oh yes... To do that, to give it expansive "legs" we taught our apprentices to teach. It was part of the "curriculum". Things can go exponential from there.

Ah...I may not be addressing Tony's point above. I always thought, (and am wrong in some instances) that it's harder to inspire and motivate adults. To get motivated to the "grudge work", the supporting infrastructure work, may require having some satisfaction in the other more glamorous realms before seeing the true value of support work. That's another level entirely; One I was not inclined to myself. Any managers/accountants out there that would like to volunteer their time to a "cause"? Maybe such roles would be best covered as a paid position? That's a legitimate question bc I never got too deeply involved with the business aspects of organizations, spending my time in the limelight of the classroom and stream and surf. Tony, that's a great point.
CaseyPAugust 22nd, 2012, 4:05 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

lucky enough to live near two active TU chapters that support TIC. what's cool is that those of us that don't know squat about bugs or how to re-engineer a stream can turn out on Release Day to demonstrate fly tying and fly casting.

it's fun because kids will try eating an ant if you tell them it's tasty (lemony!), and then tying an ant pattern makes sense. works with 5th graders and HS seniors equally well.

even if you're not a teacher, or don't have an aquarium, you might be able to help out a local project.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
PaulRobertsAugust 24th, 2012, 12:03 pm
Colorado

lucky enough to live near two active TU chapters that support TIC. what's cool is that those of us that don't know squat about bugs or how to re-engineer a stream can turn out on Release Day to demonstrate fly tying and fly casting.

it's fun because kids will try eating an ant if you tell them it's tasty (lemony!), and then tying an ant pattern makes sense. works with 5th graders and HS seniors equally well.

even if you're not a teacher, or don't have an aquarium, you might be able to help out a local project.

Share what you love. That's why they call it, "Passin' it on". Keep the love flowing. The alternative today seems to be sitting on one's butt watching a tube/LCD of some sort. Sitting on one's butt is not healthy, esp for children.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.