Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Couple of big brookies from [REDACTED] Pond

Jmd123 has attached these 2 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.2X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (5.6X larger)
Jmd123August 7th, 2012, 10:34 pm
Oscoda, MI

Here's a couple of 13-inch brookies from my favorite pond, both caught on a #10 Joe's Hopper (slightly modified). With the summer heat and drought, they're stacking up in the nice cold feeder creek and hitting just about anything! The first one I got a couple of weeks ago with a buddy (hence the pic of me actually holding the fish!), the second one (in the blurry photo) tonight as the sun was going down. Got more nice 9-11 inchers tonight than little guys too, all on the hoppers. You gotta love brookies!

Jonathon

P.S. This is my personal record for brookies! But, only a matter of time before this record gets broken too, probably on the same pond...
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
PaulRobertsAugust 8th, 2012, 12:56 pm
Colorado

Nice Jonathon! I love those brookies too. Nice to have them corralled too. You probably will break that record.
LastchanceAugust 8th, 2012, 6:53 pm
Portage, PA

Nice and thanks for the photos. I dream about catching brookies of that size.
OldredbarnAugust 9th, 2012
Novi, MI

Looks like its summertime and the living is easy...:) You sure are getting your use out of that kayak up there.

Michigan has been sweeter than we should be allowed to expect this summer...Despite the heat.

Got to love it.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Pryal74August 9th, 2012, 4:08 pm
Escanaba, MI

Great job on the Brook Trout! They are dark and gorgeous too!
-James Pryal
Into The Wild Fly Fishing
Jmd123August 9th, 2012, 10:47 pm
Oscoda, MI

Even though the hot and dry weather is putting a damper on much of the stream fishing around here, this situation - with these fish having a nice coldwater refuge - is keeping me going through the "dog days" of summer. And this creek is COLD - I have snorkeled it on hot days and by the time it gets too shallow to go any further upstream I am just about freezing my ass off! We're talking mid-fifties at most, even in August. So, I don't worry about stressing them too much, though I won't hit it more often than once a week until things cool off a little. Heck, I had to tie up some more hoppers tonight since they chewed two of them to pieces!

Jonathon

P.S. Checked out the Pine River tonight (didn't fish, it started raining - not enough though) and it looked like it had gone up a foot since last week! Could bode well for my next trip there too...
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.