Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Dry fly help

Tshowa04June 29th, 2012, 4:39 am
Months now. I consider myself
An adequate caster and I have a general idea of how the art works. I have moved to Jackson hole Wyoming for the summer and was humbled
By the fishing results out here. The flat creek runs behind where I live and I have been fishing it every day. I throw mainly dry flies because I have been told that they work best here. However, I need some help with how to be more successful. I've been cast up stream at a 45 degree angle and trying to get a decent drift out of my fly but I feel this may be my main problem. If anyone has experience with dry fly fishing that may be helpful I would appreciate feedback. I would also
Like to hear more about Spotting rising trout and any
Methods thatch serve me better.
EntomanJune 29th, 2012, 12:20 pm
Northern CA & ID

Tshowa -

Welcome to the forum and to our wonderful sport!

I'm fairly familiar with Flat Creek, having fished it quite a bit between float trips over the years while staying in Jackson Hole. It is one of the most technical and difficult spring creeks I've ever fished. Casting must be precise, drifts perfect and fly selection needs to be based on what bug and stage the fish are after. Even then, they are very tough! Besides picking easier water to fish at first, I suggest you make a few friends at one of the many fly shops in your area (I like Jack Dennis' shop). Perhaps take some lessons to speed up the learning curve as funds allow? It will greatly reduce your frustration and it won't be long before things start to click. You are very fortunate to be living in one of the great western "hubs" with some of the finest fly fishing in the world within a two hour drive in almost any direction.

Best regards,

"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
MartinlfJune 29th, 2012, 3:26 pm
Palmyra PA

Tshowa,

Entoman offers good advice when he suggests you take some lessons. I've been fishing over twenty years, and I still take lessons, thankful for the tips and improvements that other offer me. I like High Country Flies, right in Jackson Hole, and I'll bet someone there gives lessons. I'll also second his advice of doing some fishing on easier water to help build confidence and get the hang of things. Many flyfishers do this, stepping up to more and more challenging water as their skills sharpen. At some point, you also might see if someone would give you a lesson on your own turf, so you get a sense of familiar water and some success there. Best of luck, and tight lines,

Louis
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
GutcutterJune 29th, 2012, 9:43 pm
Pennsylvania

Get a good map and head over to Granite Creek, or Hoback Creek near Hoback Junction. Have a half dozen size 16 Royal Wulff dries and a dozen Bitch Creek Nymphs or Montana Nymphs with you and fish a dry/dropper on those freestones. The 10 - 14" cutthroats will keep you busy and advance you up the learning curve.
You can hit Flat Creek later when you have a bit more experience and confidence in your abilities.
And, find a buddy who drifts the Snake, and mooch a drift boat ride...
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.