User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Fun time with Cutthroats

Report at a Glance

Fish CaughtCutthroat & Brook

Details and Discussion

BigTroutMay 30th, 2012, 11:34 pm
Had a great time this past Memorial Day weekend with my little nephew. I took him to a small stream around that held fish. My nephew who is 6 years old had the time of his life and was full of questions as we caught a few fish! I caught these guys on a little dry may fly! It was way fun and planning on getting back to the area soon!

Brook Trout

Cutts

The great charm about fly fishing is that we are always learning; no matter how long we have been at it, we are constantly making some new wrinkle. - Theodore Gordon
PaulRobertsMay 31st, 2012, 8:57 am
Colorado

Those cutts sure are neat. Thanks.
Jmd123May 31st, 2012, 10:33 pm
Oscoda, MI

Very pretty fish! I'm sure your nephew thinks so too.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
OldredbarnJune 1st, 2012, 12:18 pm
Novi, MI

Big Trout,

I love this quote you found!

The great charm about fly fishing is that we are always learning; no matter how long we have been at it, we are constantly making some new wrinkle. - Theodore Gordon

It's wonderful to see you taking the time to let the nephew tag a long...You never know the effect you can have on a youngster...My grandfather is responsible for my obsession with the woods and though he's been gone since Christmas of 1992 I thank him nearly every time I'm out there.

I finally got around to mourning his passing one late afternoon in 1995 when I was the only angler on DePuy's Spring Creek...I couldn't believe where I was sitting and that I had never taken him out there. The shadows were getting long and the Absaroka's just to the east were glowing from the setting sun...I wouldn't of been sitting there if it weren't for some old man taking the time to just spend some time with me.

I too have taken some nephews up north with me and we have had some great moments. My nephew and I had stopped for a streamside snack and a dragonfly nymph crawled out on the log between us and proceeded to emerge...He watched the whole thing with his jaw a gape...I told him to explain what he saw to his science teacher and ask for some extra credit. :)

We were staying in a cabin and one evening came home to a snapper laying her eggs in a hole she had dug in the middle of the drive, of all places. I grabbed a Mag light and we watched as her eggs fell in to the hole...There's no "app" for something like this! :)

Good stuff! He looks hooked.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123June 1st, 2012, 7:33 pm
Oscoda, MI

"There's no "app" for something like this!"

You got that one right, Spence. I wish all kids could understand that!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.