Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Lost my waterproof camera

CrepuscularApril 3rd, 2012, 10:12 am
Boiling Springs, PA

OK looking to replace my waterproof point and shoot. My old one, a Pentax Optio W20, was supprising adept at shooting macro. So does anyone have any experience with the new Pentax Opito WG1 or WG-2, or the Nikon AW 100? Specifically with macro performance?
EntomanApril 4th, 2012, 1:44 am
Northern CA & ID

I've heard great things about them, Eric. I think what you lose in image quality to the Canon D10 for general use, you gain in a smaller package and the improved diode lighting for macros of bugs when the natural light is less than perfect. The Canon though has optical stabilization which is a big feature for those times when the critters won't stand still long enough to mount the camera on something. I see you can get a new one online for $250 or thereabouts (WG-1) which is a hundred less than last year.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
JesseApril 4th, 2012, 1:54 am
Olympus waterproof cameras are great man. I have a TG-310 and it takes some great shots!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
TroutnutApril 4th, 2012, 2:28 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I have a Canon D10, which they recently updated with a newer model, the D20 (not to be confused with the old 20D). The D20 looks pretty nice.

Check out the Panasonic Lumix waterproof cameras, too. The Lumix cameras are an excellent product line, though I don't have one of the waterproof ones.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
CrepuscularApril 4th, 2012, 8:57 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Thanks for your input! It is very helpful! My wife has a canon point and shoot but its macro performance is very weak when compared with my old pentax. I'm not too worried about photos other than macro stuff. I guess I'll have to research those cameras a little more. The led's on the pentax specifically for macro makes that camera intriguing, but the cynic in me thinks that that may just be fluff to cover up lack-luster optics. I didn't want to have the spend the money on a new camera, That money could be spent filling up the Tahoe on a weekend fishing excursion...crazy gas prices :(
JesseApril 4th, 2012, 12:01 pm
The TG-310 Olympus that i told you i have comes with a macro, super marcro, and super macro LED settings. I am sure the newer one comes with the same setting maybe even better picture. Check her out!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.