Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Spring steelhead

Wbranch has attached these 6 pictures to this report. The message is below.
Shown Full Size
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.6X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.8X larger)
Shown Full Size
Shown Full Size
View Full SizeView Full Size (2X larger)

Report at a Glance

General RegionPA section of Lake Erie
Specific LocationLower & upper Elk Creek
Time of Day8 - 12 & 1- 6
Fish CaughtDropbacks, skippers, and fresh fish

Details and Discussion

WbranchMarch 28th, 2012, 3:12 am
York & Starlight PA

My friend and I had three full days of very good spring steelhead action. We don't keep accurate count but I'd say we landed at least thirty fish in three days including two browns, about six 16" - 18" skippers, and the rest adult fish at least 24" long.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
OrnMarch 28th, 2012, 8:24 am

These fish are beautiful, and really big too! Looks like a great start to the summer for you!
OldredbarnMarch 28th, 2012, 12:28 pm
Novi, MI

Matt,

I was at my Monday evening winter tying group a couple Mondays back and the guest tyer was saying he and a couple nephews had a banner trip up to the Pere Marquette just the week before. Wouldn't tell me exactly where they were though...;)

From that smile on your face we can see you were having a great time. :)

Good fishing!

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123March 28th, 2012, 8:27 pm
Oscoda, MI

Geez, Matt, you've been a busy boy lately! Looks like egg patterns with strike indicators?

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
WbranchMarch 29th, 2012, 6:42 pm
York & Starlight PA

Yes, this warm weather has really given me a jump start for the 2012 fishng season. I've fished three days for steelhead and eight days for trout already and it's still March. I've had a good start to my trout fishing and probably landed at least two dozen fish. I'm fortunate to live in a state with many Delayed Harvest or No Kill trout streams and many are within an hour of my home.

Yes, you caught me redhanded! Those are egg patterns - I guess that is as bad a using the infamous Green Weenie (just kidding Louis!) You know what they say "When in Rome do as the Romans do" well eggs and steelhead go together like bacon and eggs or salt and pepper. Besides the creeks I fish are just full of loose shale and if you are using nicely tied nymphs you better be a proficient fly tier, or have lots of money, because it is easy to loose at least a dozen rigs a day. PA permits the use of two flies so you might be losing two dozen a day. Glo-bugs, Blood Dots, and sucker spawn are a lot easier to make and catch just as many fish.

It's funny I never used any kind of indicator when I used to nymph but for steelhead I do use them. Not so much to detect a strike because when a steelhead takes your fly there is no doubt you've had a strike! It yanks the fly line. I use it to keep the fly and split shot suspended off of the bottom to minimize getting snagged.

BTW that net glove I'm wearing is just amazing! My wife got it for my b-day a couple of years ago and it works really well in controlling big fish. It clips to my hip pack with a toggle and is on an accordian cord that has considerable reach to it. When the fish is tired I slip my hand into the glove and tail the fish. It lets you remove the hook and do a photo op without the fish banging around on the rocks or slipping back into the water. I think it cost about $22.00 and is a good purchase if if you land larger fish.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
MartinlfMarch 29th, 2012, 9:44 pm
Palmyra PA

Green Weenie, never heard of it! ;>
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Pryal74March 30th, 2012, 2:30 am
Escanaba, MI

Great pictures and fantastic fish. I use the exact same strike indicator and probably a similar set-up. Keep up the good work!
-James Pryal
Into The Wild Fly Fishing

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.