Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > On-Stream Camera Operation

FisherOfMenMarch 27th, 2012, 3:17 pm
NY

Hey guys-

I'm not figuring out how I'm going to snap a few photos of the fish I'm maybe going to be catching. I have a DSLR and don't use a net. I can keep the camera around my neck the whole time, but it will still be awkward and more risky to the camera. I fish solo 99% of the time. -How do you guys do it?

How long can fish be out of water and still succefully released? I don't want to harm the trout but still would like proof for my fish stories!
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." -Author Unknown

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
EntomanMarch 27th, 2012, 3:32 pm
Northern CA & ID

Fishing with an SLR around your neck is a recipe for disaster. Keep it in a waterproof plastic bag if you have to carry it with you and break it out only on shore for use. You will be far better of with a cheap P & S (or a more expensive waterproof model) for onstream use. Many of the cheap ones take pretty good pictures now. Look for one with good macro capabilities.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
FalsiflyMarch 27th, 2012, 4:07 pm
Hayward, WI.

How long can fish be out of water and still succefully released?

Probably longer than your DSLR can be under water and still take pictures.:)
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
OrnMarch 27th, 2012, 4:25 pm

I also fish solo 99% of the time and I take a lot of photos without any trouble(see my signature). I carry a P&S in my pocket all the time and I also have a very small pocket tripod if I want to use a timer to take self images. I carry a net with me and use it to keep the fish in the water while I work on the setup. I also tag the fish in my river so I need to be able to keep the fish with me longer than usual.
The fish can easily though survive 30 seconds out of the water and maybe more. In the summer of 2010 I didn't use a net and I kept the fish in the water while taking the fly out, then I put the fish on the bank, took the camera out of the pocket and took maybe two or three photos. That procedure never took more than 30 seconds and all fish were returned safely to the water.

Good luck and hopefully you'll have some good photos for us after the summer :)

P.s. don't use SLR, not worth the risk and travelling light is always more fun. If it doesn't fit in a pocket I dont need it(the net being an exception)
TroutnutMarch 27th, 2012, 11:06 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Carrying a DSLR with you for routine fishing is tough. I spend a lot of time on the river with my DSLR to take pictures for this site, but I usually don't take the pictures at the same time as I'm fishing. (I have a go-anywhere waterproof point & shoot for that.) I take my DSLR in a safe case when I'm going on a canoe trip or something, and often I'll snap some pictures with it near the car and put it back before or after I fish. Sometimes I'll bring it with me on a very sturdy tripod, leave it in a dry place along the bank while I fish a pool, and then bring it with me when I move between pools. It's certainly annoying, but most DSLRs take better pictures than even the best waterproof point & shoots (some non-waterproof P+S are better than older DSLRs).
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
WbranchMarch 28th, 2012, 3:55 am
York & Starlight PA

Often I try to keep the fish hooked until after the picture taking. I use a net and when the fish is tired I scoop the fish and come to shore and kneel down and keep the fish in the water. Then quickly get the point & shoot out, pose the fish next to the rod, take the picture, remove the hook, make sure the fish is revived and slip it into the calmest water right near shore. Don't release a tired, played out, fish back into swift water as it will likely not be prepared to maintain itself and go belly up and be swept away.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Feathers5March 28th, 2012, 9:30 am
Posts: 287A couple of whacks in the head and the fish pose nicely for me.
Feathers5March 29th, 2012, 10:47 am
A couple of whacks in the head and the fish pose nicely for me.

C'mon, nobody is going to jump on this? I'm very disappointed. I was just playing.
Bruce
TroutnutMarch 29th, 2012, 12:41 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

You have to give it time! At least more than an hour and 17 minutes. ;)
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
OrnMarch 29th, 2012, 1:02 pm

25 hours and 17 minutes(check the date) ;)

But I have no problem with whacking fish in the head. I release 90% of the fish I catch but if I want to keep one or two for eating than I have no problem with that. This one here got the whack and posed nicely for me :)

Feathers5March 29th, 2012, 1:18 pm
You have to give it time! At least more than an hour and 17 minutes. ;)

I posted it yesterday, Jason. LOL!
TroutnutMarch 29th, 2012, 4:35 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Oops! That's what I get for checking the forum right after I wake up in the morning.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
EntomanMarch 29th, 2012, 4:51 pm
Northern CA & ID

Just give yourself "a couple of whacks in the head" in the morning, Jason. That'll clear away the cobwebs better than a cup of joe (just don't do it too hard)... :)LOL
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
WiflyfisherMarch 29th, 2012, 9:04 pm
Wisconsin

A couple of whacks in the head and the fish pose nicely for me.

Okay, I will bite.. Whack the FF'er on the head and he will look gr8 and still in the photo!

My $.02, if I want great pics I leave the fly rod in the car and go down to the river with my DSLR. If I want to fish and shoot pics I use a point & click and hold the fish I catch barely out of the water and shoot the photo from the side...
I have the P&C camera around my neck tucked in a pocket. Just don't lean too far over when taking the photos. :-) Also, if the fish is too "hot" or to worn out I don't take any photos.

Lastly, I don't care if no one believes me. If it takes a photo to believe me than screw them.
John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
WbranchMarch 30th, 2012, 8:42 pm
York & Starlight PA

"It will only get worse as I get older :P"

Yes, much worse! I can hardly remember fish I caught two weeks ago but in reality, after you catch 10,000 trout, it really doesn't matter all that much anymore. Not that the fishing doesn't matter because it surely does but catching another 20 incher isn't going to change your life one iota.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.