Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Little River Scout Trip

FisherOfMen has attached these 8 pictures to this report. The message is below.
Shown Full Size
Here's the pool from above
Here's the pool from above
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.6X larger)
River flowing into the big 'pool'
River flowing into the big 'pool'
Middle of the Pool
Middle of the Pool
Tail End
Tail End
From a rock above the waterfall downstream
From a rock above the waterfall downstream
Some slower water aside the main current below the waterfall
Some slower water aside the main current below the waterfall
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.1X larger)
A stretch of river upstream the big pool
A stretch of river upstream the big pool
Shown Full Size
Saved me a 1/2 mile of bushwacking!
Saved me a 1/2 mile of bushwacking!

Report at a Glance

General RegionAdirondacks
Specific LocationAldrich Pond State Forest
Time of DayAfternoon

Details and Discussion

FisherOfMenMarch 13th, 2012, 9:03 pm
NY

As trout season does not start until April 1, this is not a true "fishing report", but I thought I'd share my trip anyway. I was scouting Little River to see how and where it could be effectively fished.

Most specifically, I wanted to reach this large "pool" I found on NYDECSLIM, the DEC satellite mapping tool. It's like Google Maps.

I took the trail/road to the blind waterfall, and then headed downstream on the canoe carry footpath. I made it to the canoe launch, and the GPS said the pool was just about 400 yards downstream. That canoe carry really cut my work out for me!

After 250 yards or so a came across a small feeder stream. A bit later I hit the pool. It was impressive. The river is 50ft wide or so average, and this bit is well over 100 ft across.

The pool starts quiet with a few big boulders creating some nice riffles right in the middle. Everywhere else is calm, but still moving water. I'm not good with reading water yet, but I think this place is a good bet for some nice trout.

The water is quite deep, however, and is probably best fished from a canoe or kayak. I might be able to get out some with my waders, but from the looks of it the depth might get into the double digits, also probably making it a better spot in warm weather.

All in all a very exciting day. I discovered quite a few interesting spots, and despite the stained water, I think I saw a nice brown behind a boulder, but I couldn't be sure. It makes me want to take my fly rod next time and find out!

Only two weeks left till April, and I've started drooling over this river. It is much bigger than I expected (the name doesn't add much), and has plenty of potential.
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." -Author Unknown

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
MotroutMarch 20th, 2012, 9:30 am
What a beautiful picture! My gosh I love the Adirondacks...Seeing that takes years off my life.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
FisherOfMenMarch 25th, 2012, 8:49 pm
NY

There - Got the rest of the pics up finally.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
OldredbarnMarch 27th, 2012, 12:22 pm
Novi, MI

That pool does look promising! Looking forward to another "fishing report" with some pics of you showing off that Brown...Good luck and happy exploring...You keep it up you may be the one that tempts Paul Roberts back east...;)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
FisherOfMenMarch 27th, 2012, 3:05 pm
NY

Thanks Spence. 4 days now and I'm starting to have trout hallucinations ;)

OldredbarnMarch 28th, 2012, 12:42 pm
Novi, MI

Thanks Spence. 4 days now and I'm starting to have trout hallucinations ;)

I don't want to bum you out or anything, but when you return you are liable to find Gonzo standing there...He's been missing in action and I know he putz's around in upstate NY from time-to-time so you better just drop what you are doing now and head on up to your pool...:) We all will understand...The wife? I'm not so sure...:)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
FisherOfMenApril 1st, 2012, 9:29 am
NY

Trout season opens today! At church right now, but my brother-in-law is supposed to accompany me to the river in a few hours to try for some of those trout... Can't wait!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.