Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > A Little More Information Please

FalsiflyMarch 12th, 2012, 1:44 pm
Hayward, WI.

In light of the numerous topics presented lately, in identifying various insects to the species level, a lot of specific nomenclature has been used to describe external morphology. I don’t think that I’m alone in admitting that I often have to refer to my meager library or the internet for explanation. I enjoy following the discussions, but at times I’m lost for word definition because I lack the required textbooks or the necessary internet site addresses for reference. I think that it would be beneficial for those of us wanting to further our understanding and to enter into a more detailed discussion if we had available on this site a picture or drawing type of diagram depicting the various body parts by name and a glossary of terms. As an example I would point to chapter two in Patrick McCafferty’s “Aquatic Entomology”, but I think even more expansion in further detail would be welcome. I have no idea how much work would be involved and maybe it would be deemed not worth the effort. Any comments, or am I all alone on this? Just curious.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
EntomanMarch 12th, 2012, 5:10 pm
Northern CA & ID

if we had available on this site a picture or drawing type of diagram depicting the various body parts by name and a glossary of terms.

Heck of an idea, Al. Although we already have a glossary, it would be nice to have it greatly expanded and attached to diagrams. Another thing that has been discussed is putting a taxonomy section in the hatch pages for listing significant morphological details. You're right about it being a lot of work though.

Of course the ultimate would be an interactive key with photos and all the tough words linked to the glossary. Lets hope someday:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
CrepuscularMarch 13th, 2012, 7:23 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

How about a library?
EntomanMarch 13th, 2012, 11:12 pm
Northern CA & ID

Good idea as well, Eric. The problem is links to docs in the public domain come & go so maintaining it would be a PITA after awhile. Also, a lot of the really good stuff isn't in the public domain and we'd run afoul of a lot of copyrights if we posted the material directly.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
CrepuscularMarch 14th, 2012, 7:57 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Yeah I thought of that too. Even if we put together a bibliography, say by family, it would be helpful.
WiflyfisherMarch 14th, 2012, 11:49 am
Wisconsin

In the past, if I wanted to get more detailed (rarely) I have used this mayfly anatomy reference...

http://fishermonk.com/programs/keys/shortkey.html#ANATOMY

John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.