Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > My New Stuff

SofthackleMarch 8th, 2012, 7:34 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

I have shared this with some friends already, and thought I'd share here. These were gifts from some good friends of mine that know I love fishing wingless wet flies.

The Rod is a custom made S Glass 3 piece 9 ft 2 inches. The reel is classic Hardy Cacapedia III with Hardy fly line. The box is leather fleece lined, loaded with wingless wets.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
EntomanMarch 8th, 2012, 11:06 pm
Northern CA & ID

Gorgeous equipment, Mark. Your friends have excellent taste. I noticed they included a Carrie Stevens streamer as a capper... Very nice. I bet you can't wait for spring!...
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
FisherOfMenMarch 9th, 2012, 4:24 pm
NY

Isn't that a Gray Ghost? Or is it the same thing...?

Very cool stuff BTW!
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." -Author Unknown

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
EntomanMarch 9th, 2012, 4:48 pm
Northern CA & ID

Hi Nick,

You are right about it being a "Ghost." The difference is the Gray Ghost (which is the 'type' for the style) is tied with a hard to find golden orange silk floss body and medium dun wings. At first glance I thought this was Percy Gardner's Brown Ghost, but it looks to have maroon wings and a black body. The color variations of this classic pattern are legion, though. Perhaps Mark can supply you with this one's name, but I think it was a gift.

"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
SofthackleMarch 9th, 2012, 7:21 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Hey, I'll see if I can get a closer photo of the fly and post it.

Mark

Here we go--

"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
EntomanMarch 9th, 2012, 9:41 pm
Northern CA & ID

Well, it's definitely tied in the Rangeley style, though it lacks the peacock underwing. This is more than likely a private pattern, and from a good tier's vise. I've scoured my library and can't find any examples of established patterns in the Grey Ghost (Stevens) style with a black body or maroon wings.
FisherOfMenMarch 10th, 2012, 3:42 pm
NY

It does look like a very good pattern. You totally lost me with all the jargon and everything, though. All in good time...

I can't wait to get my fly boxes looking like that one! I was scouting an unnamed mountain stream while hunting today, and it's getting me all the more enthusiastic with my tying! Who would've thought wrapping some feathers and fur around a hook could be so much fun?!
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." -Author Unknown

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.