Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Snow!!!

WiflyfisherFebruary 29th, 2012, 5:40 pm
Wisconsin

Jason, a little bit of snow back home...

Photo was posted on FB some where by Lake Owen.
John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
TroutnutFebruary 29th, 2012, 5:59 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Haha, I just saw that on your Facebook and instant messaged it to my mom, a few minutes before seeing this. She sent me a bunch of pictures of major snow from the Hayward area, although it looks like Bayfield County got a bit more.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
FalsiflyFebruary 29th, 2012, 6:09 pm
Hayward, WI.

I doubt that I will be plowed out in time for the early opener.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
WiflyfisherFebruary 29th, 2012, 6:32 pm
Wisconsin

I doubt that I will be plowed out in time for the early opener.

I bet you could have the river all to yourself this weekend!!

I think I will wait a little while and keep tying flies.
John S.
FalsiflyFebruary 29th, 2012, 6:46 pm
Hayward, WI.

All the more reason to give it a go. I just discovered that without too much finagling I can fit my snowshoes to my wading boots.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
JOHNWFebruary 29th, 2012, 7:30 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Falsifly,
You're worried about the opener and our season closes tomorrow (well actually midnight tonight).
Don't think of it as snow but a slow filtering aquifer recharge ;)
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
WiflyfisherFebruary 29th, 2012, 9:18 pm
Wisconsin

All the more reason to give it a go. I just discovered that without too much finagling I can fit my snowshoes to my wading boots.

I hope we get to see a photo online of you with waders and snowshoes holding a trout. :-)
John S.
OldredbarnMarch 1st, 2012, 11:24 am
Novi, MI

Don't think of it as snow but a slow filtering aquifer recharge ;)

I like that John!

In the 90's sometime I was up fishing with a friend. Every nice day we would have he would talk about heading home to Detroit because he was a roofer and could be making money. At breakfast I would talk him in to staying another day and finally one day he couldn't stand it any longer and said he was taking off.

The day he was going was actually the coldest and grayest of the the whole week. I asked him to spot me before he took off and we put my vehicle at a bridge and I had him drive me way upstream...At the access site it was snowing pretty hard and my friend said that I was crazy...It took me nearly all damn day to get down to the car and I never told him I nearly froze my ass off! :) To call it a "Baetis-Day" is an understatement!

I had those felt fingerless gloves on and would actually pull my finger tips back up into the glove ever so often trying to keep them warm! :) Catching a trout meant wet cold hands, but I had the damn river to myself! :)

Spence

Back then, in the 90's, I went through a TroutBum phase, and spent all my time up on the river. We had some May's back then that were really bad, weather-wise, for a few years in a row. I would get calls and friends would laugh that as soon as Spence crossed over into Crawford County a hugh low-pressure center would camp out over head until he was heading down I-75 for home...They would joke, as I was booking for the following year that they wanted to take either the week before or the week after Spence's week...:)
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
FalsiflyMarch 1st, 2012, 11:39 am
Hayward, WI.

I pulled off the main road and set virgin tracks to the depth of the belly pan hoping to establish my return route from my parking spot, knowing that it might be required in reverse. I exited the vehicle relishing the first breath of exhilaration from on high, and listened to the profound quietness that was left to the canyon breeze. From the rear swinging doors of the Tahoe I swung the heavy vest onto my shoulders as the clanging hemostats, clippers, and plastic flyboxes sang their familiar song. With shirtsleeve cuffs tucked between fingertips and palm, I slid my arms into the sleeves of my wading jacket and zipped up against the late morning cold. The wool hat was pulled over my head and down around my ears, and the fingerless wool gloves were forced into the intersections of thumb and fingers as I intertwined both hands into a tight clasp. From the case I extracted my polarized spectacles, with the light enhancing yellow lens, and I slid the bows into a snug fit behind the ears. Today they would double as goggles. I pulled the hood over my hat and drew just enough string to secure it from the wind but not so much as to become a hindrance. Grabbing the cork handle of the assembled nine foot four weight Scott I back stepped just enough to clear the tip from the door frame and closed the doors, free at last.

Gaining ground to the riverbank, through the knee-deep snow, I keep a close eye on the water surface. The large heavy snowflakes appeared to be hitting the water with such force as to leave rippling dimples, but the closer I got the more the optical illusion started to reveal itself. I wasn’t struck with the reality of the situation like it was a sudden revelation; it was more of a slow building manifestation that increased with each repeating heartbeat. My ticker rate, anxiety and forward progress peaked at the moment the reality dawned on me. They say that only fools rush in, and like a fool my hurried pace had me stumbling to my knees in an attempt to get to the water faster. The trout had the surface covered with dimples from bank to bank, as they slurped the shuck hindered adult midges from their watery bonds.

Falsifly
OldredbarnMarch 1st, 2012, 12:20 pm
Novi, MI

Allan,

You are really trying to hurt me aren't you?! :) You know I'm bound to this office chair like a guy in solitary confinement and you tell me of rising fish...This is some sort of torture at this point, way beyond simple "cabin-fever"...:)

Worse yet, on another post here today I mentioned I won a Scott rod last night at a club meeting and it and the reel are sitting home as I write this, sans fly line, sans leader, and sans any hope of seeing water for maybe a month at least...

I must have a bit of the masochist in me though, because I was with you there mister, tracking in the snow right behind you...

Good stuff!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.