Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Bug ID From carlisle pa, Page 2

Mahones41 has attached these 3 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (5.6X larger)
FalsiflyFebruary 24th, 2012, 12:25 pm
Hayward, WI.

UFO?
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
EntomanFebruary 24th, 2012, 12:28 pm
Northern CA & ID

Ha! That is certainly the most accurate name posted at this point, Al.:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
OldredbarnFebruary 24th, 2012, 12:50 pm
Novi, MI

hook size 16..

Well that certainly takes my horse-in-the-race out of the race...:)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanFebruary 24th, 2012, 1:22 pm
Northern CA & ID

How about a pale baetid?:) I'm beginning to think Al's diagnosis is as close as we're going to get...
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Mahones41February 24th, 2012, 1:30 pm
How about a pale baetid?:) I'm beginning to think Al's diagnosis is as close as we're going to get...

there was a sporadic baetid hatch. smaller in size then this UFO
PaulRobertsFebruary 24th, 2012, 1:30 pm
Colorado

Guys, I just blew the images up to 2000dpi using PhotoShop (PS) and they are interesting, even potentially revealing.

Mahones, is the first image of the bug on the water's surface?

What I see in the second image is a long front leg and large dark eyes -like a male Heptageniidae. It is a very pale rusty tan with a darker rusty thorax. Also, the wing shows dark areas that appear to be wing vein pigment.

It does look like the "Cream Cahill" image Mahones gave the Troutnut link to.

In the first image it appears to be on the water's surface, and is facing the camera. It has two large dark eyes and a darker contrasting thorax from the very pale abdomen. This image the sun is striking it strongly on one side.. Interestingly, if I sample the color of the sunlit wing, PS selects it as a yellow. While the body parts are selected in the orange.
EntomanFebruary 24th, 2012, 1:59 pm
Northern CA & ID

Hi Paul,

Remember we are talking about the Letort, which is the quintessential spring creek. Not a lot of mayfly diversity to begin with, let alone having habitat conducive to hosting Summer Cahills. But, I suppose anything is possible (though it remains highly unlikely).
Mahones41February 24th, 2012, 2:10 pm
Paul, yes the first one is the bug on the surface. also, referring to your wing pigment statement from what i remember that seems accurate. I am afraid that i have looked at too many pictures on this sight since then and now my memory is tainted.
PaulRobertsFebruary 24th, 2012, 2:55 pm
Colorado

Yeah...I'm not making any guesses. Just the best I could do with the images. It was worth a look.
CrepuscularFebruary 24th, 2012, 3:11 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Well gentelmen there is a "sulphur" that emerges from the upper letort in the winter, personally I have never seen it this late in the winter I have fished over it in January though.I fished the Letort two days last week in the upper sections and there were definitely olives about and even a few rising fish. but i did not see the winter sulphurs. Not sure what this post proves. The green in the water is cress and other aquatic veg. I doubt it is a hepageniid, i've never collected one from the letort but most likely an ephemerellid. By the way dont tell anybody about these winter sulphurs ;)
EntomanFebruary 24th, 2012, 3:20 pm
Northern CA & ID

Hi Crepuscular -

Yeah, that was pretty much the conclusion arrived at earlier in the thread. We continued the speculation... Well, 'cause that's just what we Troutnutter's do this time of year, I guess!:)
JOHNWFebruary 24th, 2012, 4:11 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Crepuscular et al,
I'll go with the sulphur, and yes I'm sticking to common name only. I frequent the Letort this time of year and it is not at all uncommon to see a wayward sulphur type insect on any given day.
Louis will be able to verify this fact. These limestoners are so consistent that it is not unusual for bugs to emerge at "the wrong time of year".
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
OldredbarnFebruary 24th, 2012, 5:12 pm
Novi, MI

Yeah, that was pretty much the conclusion arrived at earlier in the thread. We continued the speculation... Well, 'cause that's just what we Troutnutter's do this time of year, I guess!:)

Kurt...I was beginning to think the same. :) We got a few inches of new snow here last night and our minds are focused more on getting ready for the upcoming season...It isn't the first time we TroutNutter's have come down with Cabin Fever. :) We pounched on this one and bruised it up pretty badly.

Spence

and yes I'm sticking to common name only

By the way dont tell anybody about these winter sulphurs ;)

Got to love them PA Boys! Letort!? What Letort? You think that this old forgotten stream even has hatches anymore??? No way...Ain't no one here but us chickens...Nothing to see here, just move on...Sorry we brought it up...:) How do you spell that? S-U-L-P-H-U-R? If there's any bugs in the Letort that was the last one! :) John & Eric you two are a hoot! You know I love it!
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanFebruary 24th, 2012, 5:47 pm
Northern CA & ID

Spence -

How do you spell that? S-U-L-P-H-U-R?

No, S-U-L-F-U-R. Sulphur is the old latin, though it's still spelled this way occasionally in the UK. Kind of a color vs. colour deal? Gray vs. grey? Geez, I must be bored...:)LOL
JOHNWFebruary 25th, 2012, 9:19 am
Chambersburg, PA

Spence,
No attempt at obfuscation on my part. I'm just not bright enough to ID beyond the common name. Perhaps I should have just gone with medium yellow B!@#$#@ (MYB)

Besides everyone knows the Letort is nothing but a weedy drainage ditch full of nasty little mud sink holes and muskrats!! ;)
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
OldredbarnFebruary 26th, 2012, 9:35 am
Novi, MI

Besides everyone knows the Letort is nothing but a weedy drainage ditch full of nasty little mud sink holes and muskrats!! ;)

Yuk! That's enough to keep me away, John...;)

Spence

MartinlfJanuary 8th, 2013, 4:26 pm
Palmyra PA

OK, I was thinking it was Eric who saw this bug last February, but it was Mahones41. I hear there are some ephemerellids hatching now on the Letort, as Eric mentioned above, and that more than one person has seen them. I'll let them speak for themselves, though, if they wish. Hope someone can photograph a specimen.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PaulRobertsJanuary 8th, 2013, 4:36 pm
Colorado

I hear the muskrats are emerging up there.
CrepuscularJanuary 8th, 2013, 5:45 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

I hear there are some ephemerellids hatching now on the Letort
no nothing happening here
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.