Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Need help identifying this nymph please!!, Page 3

EntomanFebruary 24th, 2012, 12:56 am
Northern CA & ID

Cussfly -

Guys, as far as the racing stripe one the roach stonefly, I believe that is just from the flash, because he didn't have that marking in the bowl, just in the pic.

Yes, I noticed the photo artifact too. I think the racing stripe that Paul was referring to is the very wide one that runs dorsally on Peltoperla. That is what I was referring to anyway. Here's a link to a photo that looks like yours. http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/487

As far as the other thing with the Quills, Hendricksons, and March Browns goes, I can assure you they make up a significant enough portion to make some good hatches. Perhaps, the info just has not made it out there yet... But once again, thank you guys for all your help..

I'd be very interested to see photo evidence of the "big three" and your reports on their fishable numbers. One of those clingers in your photos could very well be a quill gordon. The three tailed one most likely isn't a march brown, though. In fact, I don't think it's possible to tell for sure from evidence in the photo if it's even in the same genus. The crawler nymph is probably invaria (prev. rotunda) unless the leg banding is no longer a reliable character. Luke?
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
PaulRobertsFebruary 24th, 2012, 12:08 pm
Colorado

I see now that the "racing stripe" is from the flash. The Peltoperla I knew from NY were stripe-less too.
EntomanFebruary 24th, 2012, 2:55 pm
Northern CA & ID

Paul -

Ah.. The racing stripe I thought you were talking about was the wide pale areas between the wingbuds that connect on the thorax. It could certainly be described that way while holding one in the hand. See this photo of a Peltoperla species http://bugguide.net/node/view/529617.

Sometimes the pale areas aren't that stark, so it is not necessarily a reliable character. Often they are just slightly paler. What is dependable are "...very clear dark pigment spots [on the paler areas] located lateral to [the] ecdysial suture on [the] meso- and metanota" (Stewart and Stark, Nymphs of North American Stonefly Genera, p. 292.). Those spots are a defining characteristic of the genus Peltoperla; they are not found on Tallaperla nymphs.

I think we confused each other over the family name Peltoperlidae vs. the genus name Peltoperla. Your find in NY was most likely Tallaperla maria, being the only species reported from NY (as of 2009) according to B.P. Stark, R.W. Baumann, and R.E. DeWalt. NY also has the species Peltoperla arcuata, but as discussed, it isn't sold brown.

Cussfly - SC has more diversity than NY so there are more species that could fit the characters observable in the photo. I still think it is probably Tallaperla maria, but we'd need to turn it over and get a close up of the gills to know for sure.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
PaulRobertsFebruary 24th, 2012, 3:15 pm
Colorado

Yes, they were solid rootbeer brown. Tallaperla it is.
EntomanApril 2nd, 2012, 2:20 am
Northern CA & ID

Cussfly -

This specimen of yours is buried pretty far back in the thread.

Something different with this stone..?

The best I could answer at the time was that it was a perlodid of the Perlodinae or Springfly subfamily. I recognized it, but couldn't remember the name. It's Helopicus subvarians, or Masked Springfly. It is aptly named as the head markings are quite distinctive.
Page:123

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.