Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > 5 must have flies. , Page 3

MinnesotaDecember 1st, 2014, 12:14 am
Caledonia MN/LaCrosse WI

I really catch alot of fish on a larger pheasant tail like a #12 or #10 with alot of fluffy and buggyness to it
Jason Moe
Kschaefer3December 1st, 2014, 10:24 am
St. Paul, MN

These five are for the waters I frequent. There are a lot of other places that would demand a different 5 flies.

1 Woolly Bugger Olive #6
2 BWO comparadun #18
3 Light Cahill #14
4 EHC #16
5 Mellow Yellow #4
WbranchDecember 1st, 2014, 10:31 am
York & Starlight PA

1. #6 Black Woolly Bugger
2. #6 Gray over white Clouser
3. #12 Hare's ear nymph
4. #14 Adams
5. #16 BWO

As Kyle mentions it all depends on where you are fishing for trout. I based my selections on trout fishing in rivers east of the Mississippi. for Western trout rivers my selection would be different.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
TroutnutDecember 2nd, 2014, 3:48 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

1. #14 Galloup's cripple, rusty spinner color
2. #12 Royal doublewing
3. #12 Black foam beetle
4. #14 Pink squirrel nymph
5. #18 Parachute Adams
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Kschaefer3December 2nd, 2014, 10:10 am
St. Paul, MN

You're showing your midwestern roots. I don't know many (any?) people outside the driftless that fish them.
TroutnutDecember 2nd, 2014, 11:40 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

You're showing your midwestern roots. I don't know many (any?) people outside the driftless that fish them.

Yeah, I got hooked on it while fishing in Wisconsin for a summer and reading the Wisconsin fly fishing boards. I think it has a great balance of lifelike features and attention-grabbing features, which is key to a searching / attractor fly. I've had so much success with it that I have more intangible confidence in it than I do in the hare's ear, pheasant tail, prince nymph, etc.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Kschaefer3December 2nd, 2014, 1:55 pm
St. Paul, MN

Yeah, I got hooked on it while fishing in Wisconsin for a summer and reading the Wisconsin fly fishing boards. I think it has a great balance of lifelike features and attention-grabbing features, which is key to a searching / attractor fly. I've had so much success with it that I have more intangible confidence in it than I do in the hare's ear, pheasant tail, prince nymph, etc.

You are far from the only person I know who has that kind of confidence. Most people who know the pattern affectionately refer to it as "trout candy" or "trout crack". I know guys who jokingly (sort of) call fishing them "cheating". The fish almost can't leave them alone. With a tungsten bead bounced through riffles or rocky runs, they are absolute killers.
RMlytleDecember 5th, 2014, 7:24 pm
Connecticut

Black leaches, Soft Hackles, Hare's Ears, Ausable Bombers, and Parachute Adams.
I'd say a black leach is the best fly for anything from Tarpon to Trout at any time. Best fly to have in your box.

I'd choose the Ausable bomber because I've taken trout on it during Hendrickson, Winter and Summer Caddis, Blue Quill, Stonefly (Needlefly and Little Yellow Sally), and Orange Caddis hatches. It gives a great impression of an insect struggling in the surface film as well as high riding mayflies.

Soft Hackles work at almost all times. If your not carrying parachute Adams in sizes 12-22, you are missing out. The work in so many circumstances, as do Hare's Ears.
BigfootFebruary 4th, 2015, 6:26 pm
Southern Indiana

Anyone have links to the best knot tying out there? My eyes are pathetic at best!
WbranchFebruary 4th, 2015, 6:58 pm
York & Starlight PA

All you need to do is Google "Fly fishing knots" and you should get a zillion hits. Actually 2,300,000 hits!

http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/knots.html

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
TNEALFebruary 4th, 2015, 7:23 pm
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

parachute adams should be a style and not a pattern. Post, tail, body, hackle....... vary the size, body color and hackle to make the same style fit all emergers. And make the tail a little heavier than you normally would; it imitates the trailing shuck.
Tomsix1February 18th, 2015, 6:06 am
Posts: 7I Think the May Fly is one of the must have flies or what do you know ?
Live 4 flyfishing
BauseDragonMarch 25th, 2015, 2:11 pm
Montgomery County

I would Have 2 bead head black stone flies size 16 14, 2 wooly buggers size 8 Green with Brown hackle and black on black, and 1 Hellgramite.
PA Flyfisher
OldredbarnMarch 26th, 2015, 5:43 pm
Novi, MI

#14 Pink squirrel nymph

When we going to see this fly? or it's recipe?

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
RleePMarch 27th, 2015, 9:15 am
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

Well, here's my take on the Pink Squirrel after having spent the last 15 years fishing mainly in Wisconsin with occasional trips to the Iowa spring creeks and a few forays to the western UP. The pattern varies depending on who you talk to, but it generally goes something like this:

Hook: Heavy wire scud hook or simply a standard length wet fly hook/Mustad 3906 equiv. I prefer the scud hooks. Size #12-16.

Tail: Two or three strands of pearl krystal flash. Very short, no more than 1/4 inch.

Body - Fox Squirrel body (not belly) hair, kinda rough and spiky. Same stuff you'd use for the thorax of a Whitlock Fox Sq. nymph. I usually mix in a little gray or brown antron to make this crap dub easier, but I have a low frustration threshold. Just a little though..

Rib - Fine or small uni-wire in gold, copper or red. This is a bead head fly and I always tried to make a point of contrasting the rib and bead colors, although I don't think it matters to the fish.

Head - one or two turns of small pink chenille, depending on fly size. This may be unsubstantiated voodoo/bs, but I've found that a hot or fluorescent pink is about useless for the head. You want the duller pink, almost a coral that is labeled shrimp/shell pink or whatever. It seems to make quite a bit of difference.

Bead - Gold or copper bead. 1/8" for size #12 and 3/32 or 5/64 for 14's and 16's.

When you're done, it should look something like this:

http://dubuqueflyfishers.org/Swap11/PinkSquirrel.html

This fly was eerily murderous on the Driftless fish, especially when fished as the front end of a tandem with a #16 or #18 green wire (not olive) Copper John in the trailing position. We'll see how it does on Pennysylvania and Southern Tier of New York fish this year.
Feathers5March 27th, 2015, 9:52 am
#14 Pink squirrel nymph

Spence

This request from a diehard top water guy?????? I won't tell Antonio or Eric. Wow!
TKBMarch 29th, 2015, 11:47 am
Pennsylvania

1. Wolly bugger - Black or olive - #8
2. Golden Stone Nymph - #8
3. Humpy - #16-#18
4. BWO or Sulphur soft hackle -#16
5. Parachute adams - #18
PlanettroutMarch 29th, 2015, 1:46 pm
Los Angeles, CA / Pullman, WA

#14 Pink squirrel nymph

Spence

HERE:

https://vimeo.com/53524062

PT/TB

Daughter to Father: "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
FlyGuy123June 9th, 2016, 5:53 am
Posts: 4Choosing only five flies is a pretty difficult task. But I would not want to find myself without:

Salmon and sea trout fisher that sometimes get the chance to fish brown trout. Occasionally write about trout fishing.
LosthwyJune 10th, 2016, 11:45 pm
Posts: 5For all types of water and only limited to to 5. First- no dry flies, too limiting.
1. Mayfly emerger, pick your poison, mine RS2
2. Caddis emerger, pick your poison, mine Shop Vac
3. Midge emerger, pick your poison, mine All Day Midge
4, Wooley Bugger/Leach
5. Midge Larva, pick your poison, mine Disco Midge
Page:1234

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.