Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Compara duns

Wbranch has attached these 6 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (2X larger)
Front view CDC Red Quill
Front view CDC Red Quill
Side view CDC Red Quill
Side view CDC Red Quill
Front view CDC Hendrickson
Front view CDC Hendrickson
Side view CDC Hendrickson
Side view CDC Hendrickson
Front view hair wing March Brown
Front view hair wing March Brown
Side view March Brown
Side view March Brown
WbranchJanuary 25th, 2012, 9:42 am
York & Starlight PA

All this talk about Compara-duns got me to tie some - since I no longer am able to post full size pictures on the regular forum area (something went awry) I'll post them here. I've tied CDC compara-dun wings before but never on any fly larger than a #16. Also included a conventional hair wing March Brown.

The Red Quill/Hendrickson is #14 the March Brown a #10.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
OldredbarnJanuary 25th, 2012, 9:52 am
Novi, MI

Nice Matt! I'll take 20 dozen! ;)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
PaulRobertsJanuary 25th, 2012, 11:11 am
Colorado

Very nice, Matt!
WbranchJanuary 25th, 2012, 11:46 am
York & Starlight PA

Paul, Spence,

Thanks! Spence, I'll PM you with where to send the check LOL!
OldredbarnJanuary 25th, 2012, 12:25 pm
Novi, MI

Matt,

Maybe you could give us some tying tips re: your CDC wings...I am tying up a version of Loren Williams' "Breakout Emerger" substituting CDC for the wing and finding "proper" feathers is like finding a needle in a haystack. I have whole packs of feathers poured out on a table next to my tying area so I can sift through them...Your feather wing looks wonderful and I'm wondering where you get your feathers...

Thanks!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
WbranchJanuary 25th, 2012, 5:20 pm
York & Starlight PA

Spence,

Thanks!

"...Your feather wing looks wonderful and I'm wondering where you get your feathers..."

I buy all my CDC from Trouthunters in Last Chance, ID. They have an on-line store at www.trouthunt.com

I typically buy the bulk bags at $17.50 each. Those wings are "Premium CDC Natural Dark Dun". I also like their "Premium CDC Light Dun" which I think is dyed but it is still easily the best dyed CDC I've ever found.

Those CDC wings are constructed of four select feathers laid one at a time on my tying table - concave side up, you want to lay them so the tips are even - it is a little tricky! Then I pick them up in my left hand and stroke the fibers so they are nice and straight - while holding them tightly lay them down with the tips facing over the eye. Make 3 - 4 loose wraps then make multiple tight wraps (I use Uni 8/0) After I feel they are tight, and won't rotate on the shank, I lift the CDC to a vertical position, build a thread dam in front so the fibers stay vertical. Then I lift up the ends and clip them off short, on an angle, and cover them with thread. Wrap back to the bend, apply a shuck and woodduck fibers over, tie in the rib, dub the body, wind the rib and tie off, add a little more dubbing and build up in front of the wing, half hitch and whip finish.

EntomanJanuary 25th, 2012, 6:58 pm
Northern CA & ID

Ha! I see you got the photo snafu fixed. Those are really nice flies, Matt. Your proportions are perfect.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
OldredbarnJanuary 25th, 2012, 7:14 pm
Novi, MI

Thanks Matt...Mr Harrop does it right, no?! I have some of his smaller packs. Four feathers!? Maybe I'm going too skimpy and cheap and should just use more feathers. :)

Spence

WbranchJanuary 25th, 2012, 7:49 pm
York & Starlight PA

Spence,

"Four feathers!? Maybe I'm going too skimpy and cheap and should just use more feathers. :)"

Yes, spend some of your money for crying out loud! You can't take it with you. Besides the bulk bag lasts me a little longer than a year and I doubt if you tie more flies than I do. On #16's I use 3 feathers, on #18 & #20 I use two. However with my downwing caddis in #16 - #18 I do use three tips to get a full silouhette - spelling?

Kurt, No not really, I still can't post bigger pictures of the general forum. I can only put them up when I go to the Photography forum where there is the Browse button that allows me to UL from my computer directly.
EntomanJanuary 25th, 2012, 11:25 pm
Northern CA & ID

Hmmm... You're right. I tried to move the topic over to fly tying for you and it didn't take the pictures with it. There's gotta be something going on with your settings, either on your PC or your Photobucket account.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
JOHNWJanuary 26th, 2012, 6:36 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Matt,
Beautiful flies!!!!! Wish I could tie a decent comparadun.
Leave abox of those Hennies/quills setting out on your porch for Louis and I when we're up that way in late April please. ;)

JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
WbranchJanuary 26th, 2012, 6:42 pm
York & Starlight PA

John,

"Wish I could tie a decent comparadun."

Hey man, practice, practice, practice!

Actually it is much easier to tie a proportioned CDC wing compara-dun than a conventional hair wing. Practice with some CDC or Poly yarn to get the knack of appying the materials to the hook and securing them. Then try some hair but remember you want hair with the least likelihood of flaring too much. I don't exactly know which animal has hair that is less hollow though - but I can tell from looking at, and touching, it.
WbranchJanuary 26th, 2012, 6:44 pm
York & Starlight PA

Oh, BTW what size Hennies do you want? Have you guys actually set aside a trip date? If so maybe I can meet you and give you a couple flies. Hey, who knows maybe I'll even row the boat for you and set you up on some fish.
GldstrmSamJanuary 26th, 2012, 7:15 pm
Fairbanks, Alaska

Impressive!
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
JOHNWJanuary 26th, 2012, 9:20 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Matt,
PM inbound
I've tried it a million times and just don't care for my end results. Now parachutes are an diferent story.
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
WbranchJanuary 26th, 2012, 9:29 pm
York & Starlight PA

I'm an inexperienced parachute tier! Never figured out how to tie off and not get my hackle fibers stuck in the whip finish. I am getting a little better.
GutcutterJanuary 26th, 2012, 9:53 pm
Pennsylvania

Beautiful Comparaduns and Sparkleduns, Matt. As usual. Or is that a Philip's Usual? :)

On the larger CDC patterns (14 and up), I find that a short/fat CDC "under tail" helps them float a little bit longer.
Nicely done!!
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
PaulRobertsJanuary 27th, 2012, 11:21 am
Colorado

I'm an inexperienced parachute tier! Never figured out how to tie off and not get my hackle fibers stuck in the whip finish. I am getting a little better.

I pull em up out of the way to finish -pretty firmly. Then pull em back down after. Helps to leave enough shank for the head to begin with -not crowd the head. I start with the post, tying it in a bit further back on the shank than one might think -about a third way back. Hope this helps.
OldredbarnJanuary 27th, 2012, 11:59 am
Novi, MI

I pull em up out of the way to finish -pretty firmly. Then pull em back down after. Helps to leave enough shank for the head to begin with -not crowd the head. I start with the post, tying it in a bit further back on the shank than one might think -about a third way back. Hope this helps.

Paul....Since I've already poked some fun at the dutch side of my genetic pool elsewhere...Hans van Klinken ties his parachutes (Klinkhammer Special)completely on the post. He ties the hackle straight up along the post where it stays up and out of the way. You can then finish a bunch of flies, setting them off to the side, and after place the fly back in the vise, hook eye down. He then wraps "spider wire thread" on to the post, wraps the hackle down and whip-finishes it off on the base of the post...

There are probably a million places to see this done on the web.

Spence

PaulRobertsJanuary 27th, 2012, 12:07 pm
Colorado

That's neat.
Page:1234

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.