Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > L.L. Bean fly rods

Msmith14January 22nd, 2012, 8:01 pm
Hi, im looking to get a new fly rod. I want to get the best performing rod I can without spending more than $200.00. im thinking about getting a l.l. bean rod. what do you guys think about them? and what would you subjest me getting?
Thanks.
GldstrmSamJanuary 23rd, 2012, 1:09 pm
Fairbanks, Alaska

I suggest checking out the TFO (Temple Fork Outfitters)rods.
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
OldredbarnJanuary 23rd, 2012, 1:56 pm
Novi, MI

Msmith14,

I have a LL Bean 8' 6" for 3wt, but it was made way back in the 90's sometime when I believe their blanks were actually Loomis. I bought it second hand and it was my small fly (Tricos/Pseudocleon/Baetis) rod El-supreme-o! That was way back when I wasn't ankle-chained to the wage-slave desk and could sneek up north in the summer...:)

Ahhh! Those were the days! Be on the river just before sun-up and fish through the Tricos...If I were lucky I'd get a late morning spattering of E lata's (now D lata's ;), and then toss ant's and small beetles...I'd end up at the cabin across from the Riverside Tavern...Have a little lunch and a cold Molson or two, and take a nap before heading out for the evening activity and to find where I'd left my car..."Summertime and the living was easy! The fish were jumping and Spence was a little buzzed...:)"

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
DoublespeyJanuary 23rd, 2012, 5:26 pm
Any of those co.'s like Bean, or Cabelas' have their rods made by accepting a bid. Some years they are made by co. X, and another year by Co. Y. They then mark them up. I would look for a rod made by a co. I know that makes rods. My other concern, and I always say this, is...I determine what I will use the rod for say...as you said, a small fly rod, light tippets etc., and then I would look for a medium action rod. My fast action rods are for throwing big flies, and throwing more distance than I do with my small fly rod. Action means a lot to me. There are a number of good rods that met your price point..Temple Fork was mentioned. They now have a wide range of price points, and rod actions...and a good waranty that doesn't take a long time to get your rod back, or a replacement. Another highly respected rod maker I think makes a rod in your price catagory is St. Croix.
PaulRobertsJanuary 23rd, 2012, 6:32 pm
Colorado

There are so many good serviceable rods out there now; I wouldn't hesitate. I may be running a camp this coming summer and am having a Bean rod sent to me to look over. The only suggestion I'd have is, if there is something specific you like/want in action or cosmetics, it always pays to look at a rod in hand first.
Pryal74January 23rd, 2012, 11:32 pm
Escanaba, MI

I hear good things about those Temple Forks rods, but I would also suggest a Redington. I got to handle a few and they seem nice enough. You can get a rod and reel for around 200 and get a lifetime warranty with it. What weight rod are you looking at? What would your target species be?
-James Pryal
Into The Wild Fly Fishing
RogueratMarch 1st, 2012, 4:34 pm
I've bought more than a couple 'entry-level' St Croix rods over the years, and find myself using them more than my 'good' rods. Even my Trout-guru fishing Fiend/friend says they have a good action and 'feel' to them..and Chad uses higher-end Sage and Loomis exclusively.

I think Mel Krieger said it best when he advised 'whumping' the rod to check for tip-heaviness and action- I do this before buying any rod.

I Peter 5:7 "Cast your cares upon Him.."

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.