Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Anticipation

FlybyknightMarch 18th, 2007, 4:03 am
Milton, DE

Trout season is fast (but not fast enough) approaching, and I for one am looking forward to hauling my camper up to the Catskills for April, May, and possibly June for some serious matching the hatch.

Would you care to share your local venue, and other local interests?(without giving out hot spots, of course!)

Dick
Lightly on the dimpling eddy fling;
the hypocritic fly's unruffled wing.
Thomas Scott
TroutnutMarch 18th, 2007, 5:25 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Ithaca, NY... I'll be spending a lot of time in the Catskills in the next few months before moving to Fairbanks, Alaska. I also want to go to Pennsylvania once or twice and maybe the Adirondacks.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
MartinlfMarch 18th, 2007, 9:01 am
Palmyra PA

Near Harrisburg PA. There are many good streams in the area, and west of Harrisburg descriptions of which can be found on websites of fly shops such as Yellow Breeches Outfitters, Cold Spring Anglers, Fly Fisherman's Paradise. Call Spruce Creek Fly Shop (talk to John or Eric) for more information about Spruce Creek and the Little Juniata. Jason, let me know if you head down my way and want to fish.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
RleePMarch 18th, 2007, 12:04 pm
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

I'm ready to get out for what will be my 8th season here in the Midwest. The streams of the Driftless Region of SW WI and NE IA are my home turf these days and I'm hoping to add some trips to SE MN this year as well.
The fishing here is excellent and it almost makes up for having to pull stakes and leave PA after growing up there and actively chasing fish (mostly wild trout) on my own in PA streams for 30+ years.

The things about PA I miss most (other than my old home streams in Crawford, Venango and Warren counties) are the variety of trout streams within a short drive and good, wadeable smallmouth streams. It was the greatest thing to be able to fish all morning over jaded browns on say, Spring or Penns or some other limestone and then beat the afternoon sun by driving a half hour (or less) to a secluded mountain hollow and start pitching parachute Adams to mixed brooks and browns in a cold, clear little freestone.

On a strict numbers/quality basis, the streams where I am now are probably "better" (whatever the definition of better is..), but the variety is lacking, IMO. Most of the streams in SW WI are pretty much the same drill with the same, endless procession of browns in the 10-15" range. And one after another, mind you. Some days, it's just about all I can do to carry on...:)

But seriously, I do miss PA's variety.

As I said, I also miss my smallmouth fishing in places like French Creek in NW PA and the Clarion River. Not much of that around here. Although I guess that rivers like the Wolf and Peshtigo offer something similar, so I'll have to get up there and have a look.

Or maybe I'm just a little homesick...:)

Season's best to all...

R. Lee, formerly Bob

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.