Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Advice for a young fisherman, Page 2

AvidMay 12th, 2011, 12:50 am
Oregon

Another new guy checking in and wanted to bump this thread because there is a lot of great information with a big thanks! So you asked for links to free picture hosts them so I thought I'd post my own < />Fish pictures gallery
You can check out most on www.google.com

Site links:

< />Braggin' Board
< />Fishing Tackle
< />Saltwater Fishing
< />Freshwater Fishing
< />Fishing Women
< />Trout fishing pictures
< />Bass fishing pictures
< />Salmon fishing pictures
< />Walleye fishing pictures
< />Catfish fishing
< />Crappie fishing pictures
< />Striper fishing pictures
< />Deep Sea Fishing
< />game fish pictures
< />Billfish pictures
< />Grouper fishing pictures
< />snook fishing pictures
< />Tuna fishing pictures
< />Tarpon fishing pictures
< />Cobia fishing pictures
< />Snapper fishing pictures
< />Halibut fishing pictures
< />King Mackerel fishing pictures
< />Barracuda fishing pictures
< />Fly Fishing pictures
< />Bowfishing pictures
< />Kayak Fishing pictures
< />Spear Fishing pictures
< />Ice Fishing pictures
< />Fly tying pictures
< />Rod Building
< />Taxidermy pictures

Flyman85May 12th, 2011, 7:20 pm
Posts: 30without being cheeky does that apply to me? i would pay postage somehow.
/
Flyman85May 13th, 2011, 6:28 am
best advice i could give as a relative newcomer myself is to read read read and read more to get basics of insect information then learn the rest out on the water or off fellow fisherman, dont be afraid to ask people when you see them out. fly fishing is an amazing sport upheld by the best of people who would only be too happy to help, i know i would, not that we,ll cross lines with you in greece and me in england.haha
tight lines and screamin reels
Flyman85May 13th, 2011, 4:48 pm
Posts: 30when you talk of leaders what x5 etc is that the breaking stain? in england its the breaking strain in lbs
TroutnutMay 14th, 2011, 1:40 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

when you talk of leaders what x5 etc is that the breaking stain? in england its the breaking strain in lbs

The breaking strain is referred to as the "pound test" over here, for all fishing line including fly leaders. The 1X 2X 3X etc system, which only applies to fly leaders/tippets, applies to the diameter of the line, so the breaking strain can vary, although generally higher diameter lines (lower numbers like 1X) are of course stronger than thin lines like 7X.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Flyman85May 15th, 2011, 3:04 am
i mainly use airflo 4lb fluorocarbon and sometimes 6lb mono if im stripping lures!
JesseMay 16th, 2011, 10:59 pm
Just throw a wooly buuggger in any color really and you should see some instant action ha. And the way your describing the area and climate, perfect frog habitat!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
SayfuAugust 16th, 2011, 6:05 pm
Posts: 560Let me mention an outstanding approach I have often used in the last handful of years. And that is wet fly swinging the soft hackle flies. Casting across river, and slightly down, mend, follow with the rod tip, fishing a swinging, emerging bug that has action/motion in the soft hackles allows you to fish a slightly bigger tippet, allows you to be above the fish where they can't see flyline and leader, allows you to fish a fly that deploys drag that seldom is effective using any other method, and is problematic for most fly anglers. You cover lots of water with one cast. I tie them with beads at the head...small dark, plastic beads that look like a bug head, and allow me to fish just under the surface, or use a metal bead that sinks the fly deeper. Dark metal beads can be used if the angler thinks a silver, or a gold bead is too flashy/spooky. I tie them up in larger sizes, say a longer shank #8 and can us a mallard flank feather that is long, or a pheasant rump feather than is long with lots of motion. I use all the game bird feathers, and tie them in sizes from on #18 short shank hooks to number #8's, and longer shanked hooks that fish like streamers. It is one dynamite approach to catching trout, and I seldom us anything but a dry line.
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.