Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Fishing videos

StrmanglrNovember 29th, 2011, 12:05 pm
After the great video Sayfu posted it reminded me of this one- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4pOOMpFW_8

Maybe you guys have seen it before but I never get tired of it and routinely go back to you tube just to watch this one.

If anyone else has any they want to post here that would be cool.
OldredbarnNovember 29th, 2011, 1:00 pm
Novi, MI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=416Os9V84n8

This is one of my favorites...

Spence

Here is the protocol for posting a link to a vid so we don't have to cut and paste. So we can just go straight to it: The word link goes in before your link address, in brackets, and do the same thing again at the end of your link address but add a / just before the word link...In the same brackets and off we go... Like this /link but with the brackets around it. So, the word link in brackets at the beginning and the link you want us to follow and the word link again in brackets at the end of your address but with the forward slash in front of link like this /link...Clear as mud, no!? You must use [ ] these brackets. I can't show you this because it disappears when used...:)

You can do those nice "quotes" as well where the backround of the quote is highlighted by doing the same as above but substituting the word quote for link. You just cut and paste your quote between these two brackets...

It will look like this...
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanNovember 29th, 2011, 2:56 pm
Northern CA & ID

Here is the protocol for posting a link to a vid so we don't have to cut and paste.

Thanks Spence for pointing it out. I'd appreciate it, guys. I spend a fair amount of time editing these. If some of you wonder why your links suddenly turn blue and direct link, that's why.

{quote}somebody else's words{/quote}
{link}video, picture, or website to share{/link}
{b}enclosed words will show in bold{/b}
{i}italicizes enclosed names for genus, species - or book/article titles{/i}
{u}underlines the enclosed words{/u}

Just use the square brackets instead of the squiggly ones and you're good to go.

Regards,

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
OldredbarnNovember 29th, 2011, 3:55 pm
Novi, MI

I spend a fair amount of time editing these.

...and keeping this cranky old dutchman in line...;)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanNovember 29th, 2011, 4:00 pm
Northern CA & ID

Ha! That'll be the day...:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
SofthackleNovember 30th, 2011, 7:46 am
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Hi,
While these fly fishing videos are wonderful, myself I prefer the incomparable Lee Wulff:

http://youtu.be/-Q6-6A3vCpo

http://youtu.be/KMZYYAl0a3I

One of the all-time greats!

Enjoy,
Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
OldredbarnNovember 30th, 2011, 10:22 am
Novi, MI

Nice stuff Mark! :)

Spence

EntomanNovember 30th, 2011, 3:06 pm
Northern CA & ID

Mark & Spence - I agree. Great stuff. I love those old RKO newsreels. Those old boys had some skills with a canoe, Heh? Standing up with a push-poll through rapids? Amazing!

Do either of you guys remember the specials that Lee Wulff did with Curt Gowdy on the American Sportsman Show? One in particular I remember is of him fishing with Curt in the Minipi country of the Labrador. Boy, I'd like to see those old videos again. Had a chance to go to Cooper's lodges a few years ago, but couldn't make the timing work. Besides your country, Spence, this is the other pilgrimage I need to make.

regards,

Kurt
OldredbarnNovember 30th, 2011, 4:00 pm
Novi, MI

Do either of you guys remember the specials that Lee Wulff did with Curt Gowdy on the American Sportsman Show?

No.

I remember Charles Kuralt visitng Frenchman's Pond and Voelker in an "On the Road" episode.

An aside: I remember discussing with a friend, when the format switched from LP's to CD's, that I thought somethings would be left behind...Some old obscure record or something somewhere wouldn't make it to CD. I pretty much had to eat those words.

Now that we have gone digital and with the internet and all I again have to wonder who might not make a choice somewhere that something be left in the archive and not make it in to the new format. I was really surprised to see the Sawyer YouTube. There has to be tons of stuff stowed somewhere that if it were tranferred to the digital would blow our minds.

I didn't catch the year that Lee Wulff thing was filmed but he looked rather young there. What would most of us give to have been hanging with him and his pals up there back then?! Wow!

Spence

MartinlfNovember 30th, 2011, 4:47 pm
Palmyra PA

As for the mouse video--it reminded me of cicada fishing a while back in central Pennsylvania. Oh, I hope I live to do that again!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
SofthackleNovember 30th, 2011, 6:31 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Kurt,
How could I forget the American Sportsman. Also loved to watch Bing fly fish as well.

As for Lee Wulff, he is duly honored in Bronze at The Catskill Fly Fishing Center and Museum. Also they have his salmon fishing vest and his tying desk there. You can actually sit in his chair, which I've done a number of times. It's inspiring. Lee tied his flies, in hand, and when you sit ay his desk you notice immediately that there is no vise at the desk. His wife, Joan, still teaches at the school they created at Lew Beach.

http://youtu.be/cjIDNMQDHzw

http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotos-g48069-Livingston_Manor_Catskill_Region_New_York.html

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
KeystonerDecember 12th, 2011, 11:08 am
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

Oh!, I see now!
Thank You for pointing that out.
I appreciate it.

"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
KeystonerDecember 12th, 2011, 11:10 am

Also Spence, is Frank Sawyer tying that Pheasant Tail with wire??
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
OldredbarnDecember 12th, 2011, 11:57 am
Novi, MI

Also Spence, is Frank Sawyer tying that Pheasant Tail with wire??

Keystoner,

What I think he was using was fuse wire he had gathered somewhere and from what I understand it was quite thin. Though I'm not so sure it looks that brittle in the video since he's throwing finishing knots in it.

A weird side question to this: I have gathered some coil wire from a computer or something and if I can get it to work, I now have a lifetime supply...My question is whether or not there is any residual radiation or some such stored in these wires? Can there be a danger here?

I have wondered too about the use of lead wire?

Maybe someone here with an engineering bent could answer this.

Spence

KeystonerDecember 12th, 2011, 9:16 pm

Spence,

I have a friend who is married to a chemical engineer. I have forwarded your question to him, so I guess we'll see...
KeystonerDecember 12th, 2011, 9:32 pm

Also, in the spirit of the original topic, here's one of the videos that was instrumental in luring me west.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP3mihkb8nQ

OldredbarnDecember 12th, 2011, 10:17 pm
Novi, MI

Good stuff there Keystoner...I'm packing the Jeep...See you soon!

Spence

KeystonerDecember 12th, 2011, 10:32 pm

Just give a call when you get into town...

Got an answer back from the engineer's wife, she says
Micah said you can tell by the color if it's copper or lead wire. It might have a red coating on it but you can just scrape it off and see the wire color. If it is lead, just don't eat it or get it in your blood stream. He doesn't think there would be any residual radiation from old electronics. Hope that helps. :)

EntomanDecember 12th, 2011, 10:46 pm
Northern CA & ID

Guys,

It's not fuse wire, it's copper transformer wire with a finish that darkens it a little, I assume to help it resist corrosion. Sawyer got it from discarded tiny electric motors and it was fairly fine. Lead is so soft that fuse wire drawn that fine (if there were such a thing) would crumble in your fingers just trying to handle it. As far as radiation goes, unless your electronic gizmos are powered by fission reactors, I wouldn't worry about it.:)

Regards,

Kurt
OldredbarnDecember 13th, 2011, 4:05 pm
Novi, MI

As far as radiation goes, unless your electronic gizmos are powered by fission reactors, I wouldn't worry about it.:)

Just wondering why my fingers glow in the dark? ;)

Thank your friend for me Keystoner...I'm just overly cautious I guess.

Spence

Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.