Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Dusting Off the Shack Nasties...

AftonAnglerFebruary 16th, 2007, 12:00 pm
Brule, WI

My appologies for bringing some of the rougher species and the dark elements onto this illustrious board. I thought some of you might enjoy a little slice of the Fight Club from Northern Wisconsin.

I've been feeling a little surley lately...

So here is a little venting to cure some late winter shack nasties. Remembering some of these scenes helps pass the time until I get back out there!

Remember when someone would yell FIGHT out on the school yard and everyone would come a running?

We can start off gentle enough...Driftless in August, little black and white mayflies in the morning and long 8x tippets...careful...

Then remember your first time...here is young Ben deep into his first steelhead...

And a bit older chap - my pal Dynomite Dan breaking his cherry on a nice brown during the Hendrickson hatch...

Not to be out done...another buddy Whahoo with his first musky.

I guess I specialize in portraits featuring the back of folks heads...

Here is the Trout Nut - Jason Neuswanger during the early season with another tough brown.

Here is my good side - deep into the cork with a king over in MI taken by buddy Chris Omer...

And I return the favor with one of Chris slugging it out...

Back to the homeland and Pond Monster showing off his Bass Boat...no glitter and no NASCAR stickers here sportsfans...
(yes there are beer cans and a spinning rod on board but we only act like rednecks when we are off the clock!)

Walk softly and carry a big stick...Robert Tomes showing off why an 8wt. is just not enough rod at times...

Sometimes a 10 wt. just does not do it either! I go around the bend with another king...

If you can't stop em you have to follow em - Big Pike Mike shows off his track shoes with a chrome rocket up on the Brule...

Ya - those Brule bruisers are tough cookies...Bob Bickford with a cannon ball...

Big Pike Mike goes on a bender...

And then sums it all up...

"Dude this feels soooo GOOD!"

Right on brother...Right On.......

See you on the Water.

Brad Bohen

The Afton Angler
www.BradBohen.com
AftonAngler@BradBohen.com
GONZOFebruary 16th, 2007, 12:26 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the great pictorial fishing fix! Even if we can't get out and mix it up ourselves at the moment, your pix certainly help to remind us why we love this crazy sport so much. As for the "rougher species" and "dark elements"...well, let's just say that we all have our crosses to bear. :)

Best,
Gonzo
TroutnutFebruary 16th, 2007, 12:49 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Nice post Brad! I see some familiar spots there.

I like the pic of me fighting a tough brown... let's keep secret the fact that it was hooked back near the tail. ;) I think it was originally in the mouth but that one slipped out and the trailing fly of the 2-nymph rig caught it in front of the tail...

In the future if you want to post a lot of pictures, you might want to upload them in the photography forum instead of embedding them in a post here. It's completely my fault, but embedding a bunch of pictures makes the page load REALLY slowly. It's an issue with the way I programmed the forum, designed to prevent oversized images from overflowing the layout, but it uses some stuff in the back end that ends up running very very slowly for lots of pictures. I'll make a little announcement when I get around to fixing this but in the meantime uploading on the photo sharing forum will work better. Sorry bout that.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
GONZOFebruary 16th, 2007, 1:01 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Aha, that explains the slow loading! Thanks Jason, I was ready to go a few rounds with this ancient computer of mine. And those tail-hooked browns are a handful, aren't they? Too funny. :)
AftonAnglerFebruary 16th, 2007, 5:13 pm
Brule, WI

Ya a bit slooowww there eh?

Sorry...worth the wait though?

I have a few more TroutNut battle scenes too and the Triple catch...almost the trifecta! Remember the brookie, creek chub, brown three fly rig you nabbed? If it would have been a rainbow it would have been a near perfect 10. I'll still give you an 8.

I have a hundred or so of these mini theme slide shows. Can't wait to get out to shoot some more. When I get the new camera I'll get some better stuff.

Glad you liked it Gonzo. I enjoy capturing Anglers and Angling Scenes almost as much as I like being in them myself...sometimes more. Someday I want to devote an entire season behind the camera. Sometimes you learn more.

I'll post some more eventually...the correct way. Downloading sucks with the slow dial-up I live with in the Northwoods.

See you on the Water.

Brad Bohen

The Afton Angler
www.BradBohen.com
AftonAngler@BradBohen.com
Shawnny3February 16th, 2007, 5:31 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Thanks, Brad. You can see the smiles on their faces even from behind. Awesome.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
MartinlfFebruary 16th, 2007, 6:50 pm
Palmyra PA

portentificae imagines

(Guys, I just have to bug Taxon some; thanks for the photos, Brad.)
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
TaxonFebruary 16th, 2007, 8:15 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Brad-

Wow, imagine the aggregate joy represented in those photos.

Louis-

If "portentificae imagines" can be loosely translated to mean "great photos", I certainly agree.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
MartinlfFebruary 17th, 2007, 5:04 am
Palmyra PA

It is a bit hard to get an exact Latin equivalent for photographs. "Imago, imaginis f." sometimes defined as "image, copy, likeness, representation" was the best I could do.

See, friends, all it takes is a bit of Latin to bring Taxon out of the woodwork. :)
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.