Report at a Glance

General Regionoahu
Specific Locationvery small stream
Fish Caughtsmallmouth
Conditions & Hatchesmidges of some sort, mosquitos...crayfish

Details and Discussion

ZzcantonFebruary 6th, 2007, 2:00 am
Fairbanks AK

so we came down with a tasking to provide MEDEVAC coverage on Oahu an the big island while the national guard here was deployed. so the first month i was here i didnt bring my fly rod (idiot). but there are some cool little streams with lots of good pocket water, with waterfalls and plunge pools and the such. so i called around and even contacted fish and game. they couldnt tell me much, but i got ahold of a guide on Wahiawa Res. (lake wilson) who guides for Largemouth, Smallmouth, and Peacock Bass there. the headwaters of the Res have smallies. so i rented a canoe and made my way about 3 1/2 miles up and got into some decent bass and even some sort of a catfish with my 3 wt on a bunny hair minnow pattern. From the guide i also got some info on a stream near downtown Honolulu. so i checked it out. me and a buddie caught 31 smallies with the biggest being 13" or so. on a 3wt it was a blast. i was using a little size 8 or so bunnie crawfish and my buddie was using a rust beadhead wooly bugger #8. i tried a chernoble ant with no luck. my tippet was too thick i think. either way, we had a blast. reminds of the steams i grew up fishing in the Adirondacks in NY. and you are in a Jungle just outside a Major city. kinda weird....but cool. so if anyone goes to Oahu for a vacation, bring the 3 wt and some flies. pretty interesting. Logan
TroutnutFebruary 6th, 2007, 11:46 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Sounds like fun! You're going to make everybody jealous, fly fishing in Hawaii while temps in the northern USA dive below zero... we're separated from the fish by 3 months and/or 12 inches of ice!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
MartinlfFebruary 6th, 2007, 12:22 pm
Palmyra PA

Logan, Hawaii is certainly gorgeous, and what an experience--fly fishing in paradise. Be careful wet-wading those streams, though; some have a nasty bacteria in them that can make you very sick. Check with local authorities. I also understand that there are also a few bonefish around the islands if you can find them, so travelers may want to pack a bigger rod too.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
ZzcantonFebruary 6th, 2007, 11:08 pm
Fairbanks AK

i am definately gonna try to hit up some bonefish while i am here as well. i have never caught them before but know they are a real fight. there are warning signs around the stream we were wet wading, i think it was leptospirosis?? something like that, from rat pee or something. i got a cut on my foot too...i should start twitching an frothing at teh mouth soon...oh well, i am not too worried. i mean you HAVE to fish under all conditions, no matter what. Logan
MartinlfFebruary 7th, 2007, 5:04 am
Palmyra PA

Rat pee or pig poop, I can't remember which. But a dose of antibiotic should stop the twitching. Best of luck with the bones.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.