Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Rod Question

GldstrmSamNovember 28th, 2011, 2:35 am
Fairbanks, Alaska

Hi Everyone,

The fly rod I use used to be my grandfather's and I was wondering if anybody could help me figure out what sized fish would be the heaviest that I could catch on it.

It is around a 30 year old fiberglass Dickson Ultra Compact collapsible rod. Fully extended it is around 6.5 to 7 ft. That's all I know about it because most of the label has been scratched off. I could try to post photos if you want some.

Also I would like some ideas on a good inexpensive (50-100$) rod for salmon fishing.

Thanks,

Sam
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
SayfuNovember 28th, 2011, 9:12 am
Posts: 560Just my two bits OK?...I would put a line on it with an old antique fly reel that I got at a garage sale, and make it a display up on the wall. That is what I did with an old, English bamboo rod I have. And it looks nice in my rec room when I dust it off! It would be very hard to learn to cast. There are some modern day glass rods in that length that are nice flyfishing rods.
The size of the fish depends on the skill of the angler, not the rod really. Lee Wulff caught a giant tuna on a fly rod, and a click drag fly reel. Took him a long time, but he did it. I'd put that up so it didn't get broken in transit, or fishing with it, and get a basic outfit. I taught fly fishing schools for over 25 years, and in later years must have sold students at least 100 Cortland line co. outfits...comes with a decent 9 ft. trout rod, a good reel goes with it, their $50 fly line goes with it, a leader...all for under $100. A few flies, and off you go.
StrmanglrNovember 28th, 2011, 11:16 am
I agree with Sayfu here, put that thing up. Sounds like it has some sentimental value. I might fish it once and a while just for the memories but that would be about it.
GldstrmSamNovember 28th, 2011, 2:33 pm
Fairbanks, Alaska

Thanks Sayfu and Strmanglr,

I agree with you. I have I reel on it also an antique (South Bend 1120). I only used the rod for trout fishing ( the trout that I catch are around 10 inches at the most) so I have no worry of breaking it on them.

You said how Lee Wolff caught that giant tuna on a fly rod. A couple of years ago ( if I remember correctly) there was a girl on the Kenai River who who caught around a 50 lb king salmon on 2 lb line.

Is there such a rod that I could enjoyably use on something from small trout to large salmon(25 lb).

Thanks again,
Sam

SayfuNovember 28th, 2011, 2:56 pm
Posts: 560Not if it is a flyrod, and you want to get good pleasure out of using the rod. A flyrod balances up from the fly end to the right tippet size used (end of the leader that you tie the fly to) and to the right line that matches the rod flex to the rod, and the reel that balances the rod. It all fits within a range of flies used, and fish that are fished for. For bigger fish like Salmon you often use bigger flies, and then the bigger fly line that can carry a big fly out to the target to a bigger rod that matches the bigger line, and has the bigger backbone to fight a bigger salmon. That's a balanced outfit designed for the fishing you would do. I lighter outfit could possibly land a bigger salmon, but it would not be a comfortable balanced outfit for the task at hand. Sometimes you choose to use a bigger balanced outfit to say fish for bass that you could easily land on a #5wt outfit, but you use an 8wt. balanced outfit instead. And the reason why is because you may want to throw big, air resistant, bulky deer hair flies, that would be very difficult to cast on a 5wt. outfit.
GldstrmSamNovember 29th, 2011, 11:54 am
Fairbanks, Alaska

Thanks Sayfu,

So what you are saying is to buy a nice trout rod like you mentioned in one of your previous post, and then buy a rod that is around a 8wt for the Salmon. Or do I need to get one rod for every weight of fly I'm casting.

Thanks,

Sam
StrmanglrNovember 29th, 2011, 12:21 pm
Get two rods. . .to start. By the time your fishing career is over you'll probably have several. I've only been at it a relatively short time and I like to have 3 rods, really needing four. I have a 7'5wt, most all of my stream fishing for trout and smallmouth is on this rod. I had an 8' 5wt for bigger streams and it used to be my main fishing stick until it got broke, I got it dirt cheap and cheap it was. I'm looking to replace that with an 8 1/2' 5wt, then the 7' will be just for the smaller creeks. I have an 9' 8wt I use for steelhead and salmon, this is where the fourth rod comes in. My 8wt is pretty slow action and is a bit softer than what I prefer for salmon. I think I could replace the 8wt with a stiffer or faster action 8wt or 9wt and use it for both salmon and steelhead. So, technically that would be three if I replaced the 8wt. But, then I might want a 3wt for finicky dry fly fishing. That will be way down the line, unless I find one at a garage sale or second hand store. Speaking of which you might try hitting up all your local second hand shops. They don't sell fly rods very well and often you can get em pretty inexpensive. Got a buddy who bought his TFO steelhead rod like that. He loves it and got a sweet deal.
GldstrmSamNovember 29th, 2011, 1:47 pm
Fairbanks, Alaska

Thanks Strmanglr,

My grandfather told me that length really matters so I will definitely try to buy a 9' 8wt rod for salmon.

I'll have to get more help on trout rod (a good specific brand) though because of all of the options. I would need a rod that can cast a large variety of trout flies, at least to start with.

Thanks,

Sam

OldredbarnNovember 29th, 2011, 2:14 pm
Novi, MI

I'm a beginning fly fisher ready to learn all there is to learn about fly tying/fishing.

Sam,

Ok lesson #1 ...Let's start here: Since we mentioned the great Lee Wulff above, "A game fish is too valuable a resource to be caught only once."

I know things are different in Alaska, and I don't begrudge anyone a fish for the frying pan, when the fish are as plentiful as they are up your way, but...On your profile picture there with the scrawny fish laid out there on the rocks posing with the fillet knife...Not a good start with me personally. Especially that little one there that can't be legal...Can it?!

It would be counter-productive for me, a guy who has practised catch-and-release with trout since 1968 to share my knowledge of angling with someone, only to make them a better fish killer...

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanNovember 29th, 2011, 3:05 pm
Northern CA & ID

Ha! Careful Spence, remember Troutnut even nets'em up there. As far as scrawny fish, notice that ain't no lower 48 pocket knife!:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
GldstrmSamNovember 29th, 2011, 3:21 pm
Fairbanks, Alaska

OldredBarn,

The only reason that one is there is that at that time I was still fishing with bait and that one swallowed the hook. Now that I started fly fishing I release almost every one I catch, but I still keep a few a for some trout jerky or pan fried trout.

Up here you can keep ten trout per day in the lakes, and when I was bait fishing every fish I caught was amazing whether large or small so I kept it, even then I rarely limited out. Now that I am fly fishing I lose track of the number of trout that I catch and release.

Sam
OldredbarnNovember 29th, 2011, 3:39 pm
Novi, MI

Ha! Careful Spence, remember Troutnut even nets'em up there.

Even this vegetarian has been known to bring home through the ice perch & blue gill for what my mentor called, "Your long suffering wife!"

I hadn't used the fillet knife since I was a teenager...My wife just sort of stayed out of my way and didn't say a damn thing since she loves the pan fried's so much...She didn't want me to may be change my mind...:) I remember telling her that they were so fresh that if I filled the utility tub up and they thawed out they would swim off.

The last trout that was killed and eaten was 1968...I guess I'm a specie-ist or something...;)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
GldstrmSamNovember 29th, 2011, 4:05 pm
Fairbanks, Alaska

I only catch trout for pan frying and jerky like I said earlier. I don't like their flavor otherwise. I use my 5' dip net to catch my main food fish, sockeys.

You can't beat a freshly caught and grilled sockey salmon!!

Sam
EntomanNovember 29th, 2011, 4:17 pm
Northern CA & ID

You can't beat a freshly caught and grilled sockey salmon!!

You got that right! Walleye are pretty good too. High-country brookies from a scud rich lake (where harvesting is encouraged) are right up there. I haven't eaten a stream trout in years, but the white meated ones aren't all that good IMHO. Hmmm... After all the turkey, this conversation is making my mouth water...:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
GldstrmSamNovember 29th, 2011, 4:48 pm
Fairbanks, Alaska

We don't have Walley up here ,but I think that dolly varden are pretty close to brookies. Those are great fresh caught and pan fried in lard and fresh garlic with some hot sauce dribbled over it (just enough to give it some spice).
Now that it AMAZING!!

Sam
EntomanNovember 29th, 2011, 5:38 pm
Northern CA & ID

Stop it!!! You're killing me down here.:)
GldstrmSamNovember 29th, 2011, 6:05 pm
Fairbanks, Alaska

Hey, how do you think I feel. My flies can't hit the water in its liquid form for at least six more months.

Sam

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.