Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Yellow trout

RddDecember 16th, 2006, 9:43 pm
Posts: 2I caught a yellow trout in a western Oklahoma pond that is stocked yearly with rainbow trout from Arkansas. Are these yellow trout common? We have fished this pond regularly through the trout season for three years and this is the first of this kind we have seen. Oh, how do I post a picture?
TroutnutDecember 16th, 2006, 10:59 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Go to the photography section of the forum and start a new topic there. It'll give you the option to "save and add pictures" where there's an easy form to attach a picture.

Sounds like an interesting fish! I'll look forward to the picture.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Upnorth2December 17th, 2006, 12:25 pm
Wisconsin

Rdd

Here's a "Mystery Trout" up north.

http://www.brooktrout.ca/tiger-trout.htm
Kaleem287September 14th, 2011, 3:13 am
Posts: 3here you can find excellent stuf . . . http://www.7mliveonline.com/
SayfuSeptember 14th, 2011, 9:09 am
We have a lake near me, Rigby Lake, that depends on river water to fill it in the high water Spring, and dries up when the river drops in the Fall. The state stocks it with "Banana Trout" they call them that are yellowish rainbows. I do not know the hybridization.
JOHNWSeptember 14th, 2011, 6:33 pm
Chambersburg, PA

In PA they refer to them as Palomino or golden rainbow trout. If I remember correctly they are essentially a cross between a brown and a rainbow and are sterile. So they are only common in place they are stocked.
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
GutcutterSeptember 14th, 2011, 7:17 pm
Pennsylvania

JohnW and Sayfu
A palomino trout or "golden rainbow" trout is actually a distinct color variation of the common "rainbow" trout. They are both Oncorhynchus mykiss. The coloration can be selectively bred by mating like colored adults, much the way fine quality feather hair extensions (I mean dry fly hackle) is bred.
Oh, and they can reproduce in the wild.
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
MotroutSeptember 14th, 2011, 9:06 pm
Yeah, I agree that it is most likely a golden rainbow. You said the hatchery where it came from is in Arkansas, and the state of Arkansas has recently taken to buying these unusual trout from private hatcheries to replace regular rainbows from the federal hatcheries that are lost due to flooding, warm-water temperatures, or disease, as well as to add a "novelty" factor to the tailwater fisheries.

Maybe this fish you caught came from one of the same private hatcheries... I know that they are some genetic mutation of a rainbow trout as opposed to a distinct subspecies, but that is where my knowledge of them ends.

But it is my personal theory that a fisheries biologist got very drunk one night, and thought to himself, "Wow, wouldn't it be neat to expose a trout to vast quantities of radiation and see what happens?" And the golden rainbow, our little glow in the dark trout, was the end result.

I'm pretty sure herons love them.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
EntomanSeptember 15th, 2011, 6:44 am
Northern CA & ID

I seem to remember somebody posting a bunch of photos of yellow trout last Winter. Some of them were pretty big so maybe Jesse?:) Any of you guys remember?

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Jmd123September 15th, 2011, 4:12 pm
Oscoda, MI

' "Wow, wouldn't it be neat to expose a trout to vast quantities of radiation and see what happens?" And the golden rainbow, our little glow in the dark trout, was the end result.'

Maybe they run them through the cooling water system of a nuclear reactor???

Jonathon

No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
JOHNWSeptember 15th, 2011, 5:01 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Wow they really migrated TMI is a looooong way from OK!
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
MotroutSeptember 15th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Maybe they run them through the cooling water system of a nuclear reactor???

Jonathon

Something like that...
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
JesseSeptember 17th, 2011, 12:05 am
palomino?
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
OldredbarnSeptember 18th, 2011, 11:51 pm
Novi, MI

Jess,

Palomino is a coat color in horses, consisting of a gold coat and white mane and tail.
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
SayfuSeptember 19th, 2011, 9:16 am
That's what they do to the Triploid Trout no? They sap them with an Ahhnold S. type of gun, and they grow to gross proportions.
KeystonerOctober 27th, 2011, 11:54 pm
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

Yep, Palomino is what I've always heard them called in PA. Pretty much the most unfortunate trout that could ever be. Whenever there is one present it is obvious to everyone within a 5 mile radius, and it is like that fish is the only one that exists. From the moment they hit the water they are bombarded with everything under the sun. Most don't last very long.

There was actually one in a pool that I was fishing that lasted for about two weeks once. Every morning I would wade in, and there was that yellow form cruising around down there. Then one morning I showed up and it was gone. I'm not afraid to admit I was a little bummed, kinda felt like losing a pal.

Kurt, I believe the thread your thinking of was titled "tanking big stockers with no one around to fish the floods." Although I can't name the poster.
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
KeystonerOctober 27th, 2011, 11:59 pm
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

Found it in the photography section, all the pics are gone though...

http://www.troutnut.com/topic/2663/Tanking-big-stockies-w-no-one-around-to-fish-the-floods
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
EntomanOctober 28th, 2011, 12:23 am
Northern CA & ID

Thanks Matt, good memory. Lets hope Josh reads this and reloads the photos.

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.