Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Wooly buggers and what they're taken for, Page 2

KeystonerNovember 25th, 2011, 12:33 pm
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

In my estimation Wolly Buggers are one of the strangest flies to fish. I never quite know what to expect when that thing hits the water. It seems that, for the most part, it's all or nothing. I have had Woolly Buggers incite all out madness in trout streams, and at other times, I have been painfully aware that the fish couldn't care less about it. Often this will occur from one day to the next with nearly identical flies, time of day, etc. There dosen't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

As far as imitative intent, I can't say. It's just "crittery". Sometimes, I'll get A LOT of bumps and pulls on them with no hook up. Probably because the trout are simply curious. This situation really drives me bananas, and I tie my tails quite a bit shorter than most in an attempt to cut down on the "tail grabs" which make your heart leap, but render no hook-up.

Retrieve is another wierd issue. Sometimes you've got to get it moving, fast, or they won't touch it. Other times I have to drag it across the bottom at barely a crawl in order to draw a strike. And there are avout a thousand other methods that may work, or not, depending.

It's just really wierd, and a really fun fly to play with. I hardly ever wrap up a seesion without putting one through at least a few times.

That's my nickel, if you trade it for coffee, you will not get a very good brew!!

"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
Aaron7_8November 25th, 2011, 4:39 pm
Helena Montana

I think the English have it right calling them lures. I have never personally seen anything in a trout stream that resembles a wooly bugger. I have seen pictures of hellgramites but when you see your bugger in the water it isn't quite right. However, I think that it has good action, has the look of a big meal and can be tied in many colors, weights and sizes. I don't necessarily think they take it for anything in particular just some sort of food, kind of like a stimulator pattern or a hare's ear. I think it is just effective.
SayfuNovember 25th, 2011, 4:50 pm
Lots of streamers can be described in the same way. Big meal, action, invasion of a predators space whatever. A very effective fly.
PaulRobertsNovember 28th, 2011, 7:00 pm
Colorado

Depends on how to present it, when and where, and fish's exp[ectations. i've never been able to use one as a midge mimic though.
SayfuNovember 28th, 2011, 7:37 pm
Posts: 560Paul..It's a great midge pattern! Tie it on a small, short shank hook in black with grizzly hackle, and when the midges are out clip off the marabou tail, and you have a great cluster fly...lot like a Griffith Gnat actually. :)
OldredbarnNovember 29th, 2011, 2:19 pm
Novi, MI

I think the English have it right calling them lures.

Aaron,

Where have you been, man!? I haven't seen a post from you in a while. What's new?

Wooly buggers and what they're taken for

Food...;)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
PaulRobertsNovember 29th, 2011, 6:51 pm
Colorado

Ha! I guess you're right, Sayfu.
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.