Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Southeast Mayflies, Page 2

This topic is about the Mayfly Species Leptophlebia cupida

Most anglers encounter these large mayflies every Spring in the East and Midwest. They are omnipresent in small portions, providing filler action in the days or hours between the prolific hatches of the early season Ephemerella flies.

See the main Leptophlebia page for details about their nymphs, hatching, and egg-laying behavior. This is by far the most important species of that genus. Read more...

There are 14 more specimens...

The Discussion

GONZOFebruary 23rd, 2007, 10:39 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Thanks, Roger. I'm hoping for clarification as well. By the way, you might want to amend your last post to refer to Ameletus rather than Isonychia and March rather than May. Or are you just trying to further confuse me? :)

PS-The comment about ludens/lineatus simply reflects the fact that I am never entirely sure that I have the latest taxonomic info available, and that there seems to have been some debate about whether they truly deserve the species distinction. I'll certainly trust Mayfly Central on such matters. (As I do you.)
TaxonFebruary 23rd, 2007, 11:08 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Thanks, Gonzo. My introduction of more confusion was not intentional. Have corrected with bolding in the post.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
TaxonFebruary 23rd, 2007, 12:07 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

PS-The comment about ludens/lineatus simply reflects the fact that I am never entirely sure that I have the latest taxonomic info available, and that there seems to have been some debate about whether they truly deserve the species distinction. I'll certainly trust Mayfly Central on such matters. (As I do you.)

Gonzo-

Wasn't aware of any debate. I have emailed Dr. Jacek Zloty, Department of Biological Science, University of Calgary, and requested a copy of his publication: Zloty J. 1996. A revision of the Nearctic Ameletus mayflies based on adult males, with descriptions of seven new species (Ephemeroptera: Ameletidae). Canadian Entomologist 128:293-346
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
DarkDunMarch 4th, 2007, 8:48 am
The dun I have descibed for early Spring is definitely a 3 Tailed species of 12MM (Black Quill) and the one I have seen in Autumn or late summer is probably the Isonychia (As TAXON defines as Drunella Walkeri)
I hope this will clarify my notes.
I have pretty much resolved that the Dun which I have been observing is a Black Quill (L.Cupida)in the Spring, from late Feb and early March in our SW area of NC. The middle tail does seem to be a bit shorter by maybe 1/8".
I will follow up on the Isonychia as the season progresses or determine that it is still another species???

Dark Dun
TaxonMarch 4th, 2007, 10:10 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

DarkDun-

The species of interest to flyfishers, which are found in the North Carolina, would come reasonably close to your body description of deep brownish and wing description of smoky dark gray, and have a dun length range encompassing the length you describe, would be the following:

Leptophlebia cupida (Black Quill) - emerges mid-Apr to late-Aug
Drunella walkeri (Slate Drake) - emerges mid-Jul to mid-Sep

So, I would guess you are encountering Black Quills in March, and (somewhat-delayed-emerging) Slate Drakes in October.

Oops. Should have said:

So, I would guess you are encountering Black Quills in March, and (somewhat-delayed-emerging) Drunella walkeri (Large Blue-Winged Olives) in October.

Didn't mean to suggest Isonychia by use of the common name, Slate Drake.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.