Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Some last glimpses of liquid water for the year in interior Alaska

Some last glimpses of liquid water for the year in interior Alaska

By Troutnut on November 5th, 2011
Winter's already in full swing up here, except that the rivers haven't finished freezing up. The ice here will be 4 feet deep by March.

Photos by Troutnut from the Tanana River in Alaska

From the Tanana River in Alaska.
StateAlaska
LocationTanana River
Date TakenNov 5, 2011
Date AddedNov 10, 2011
AuthorTroutnut
CameraDMC-LX3
StateAlaska
LocationTanana River
Date TakenNov 5, 2011
Date AddedNov 10, 2011
AuthorTroutnut
CameraDMC-LX3
StateAlaska
LocationTanana River
Date TakenNov 5, 2011
Date AddedNov 10, 2011
AuthorTroutnut
CameraDMC-LX3

Comments / replies

OldredbarnNovember 10th, 2011, 10:46 pm
Novi, MI

Jasn,

It is in the low 30's here in Detroit at 10:40pm...Even though it snowed here for the first time this season, it looks a bit chillier where you are! :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
CrenoNovember 10th, 2011, 11:49 pm
Grants Pass, OR

Jason - as usual great pics of great places.
ya gotta wonder how those critters survive - thank whatever for the hyporheic.
creno
TroutnutNovember 11th, 2011, 12:31 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

We've had quite a bit of below-zero weather already, although that hurricane in the Bering Sea brought some slightly warmer air (teens) up into the interior today.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
SayfuNovember 11th, 2011, 8:42 am
Scary thought to reflect on those pics...went in after my bird dog when taking a walk along the river. She went after a duck sitting in the puddle.
Now we no longer walk along the river in the Winter time.
JesseNovember 12th, 2011, 5:09 am
How beautiful!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
Jmd123November 12th, 2011, 11:00 am
Oscoda, MI

BRRRRRRRR...but, beautiful. Any fishies still in those nearly frozen waters, Jason?

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
TroutnutNovember 12th, 2011, 2:53 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

There are burbot in those waters, Jonathan, but they're safe from anglers until the river freezes enough for ice fishing.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Jmd123November 13th, 2011, 2:38 pm
Oscoda, MI

Ice fishing is the only other form of fishing I do these days besides fly fishing. I haven't pulled out the spinning gear since 2007, just a personal challenge to see if I can catch everything I want to on fly gear. But, since I'm not much of a steelheader - throwing any significant weight on a fly rod is no fun for me and now BOTH pairs of waders have leaks in them - I will be pulling out the ice-fishing gear in the coming months and drilling some holes in the ice...How about you, Jason?

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
TroutnutNovember 14th, 2011, 4:37 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I might do some ice fishing, although I'm not sure about burbot. I don't have an auger, just a spud, and it's crazy hard work spudding through 4 feet of ice to set a burbot line out on the river. Half the time, the hole will punch through to solid ground, a slurry of frazil ice, or muddy water, and you have to go somewhere else. I've never had much luck with it. I put a lot of burbot in the freezer this spring running setlines off the bank for a few weeks after ice-out, though.

I'm more likely to do a bit of ice fishing on lakes with friends who have augers. But I don't do all that much of it.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
WflirisDecember 24th, 2011, 5:03 pm
Lusk, Wyoming

Good to see some well composed Winter pix of the Tanana River. I lived in the village of Tanana for 30 years and took many great shots like yours of the Tanana and Yukon rivers. I had a fish camp 20 miles upriver from Tanana on the Yukon and a homestead on the Tozitna River. I used to operate a test fish wheel project at the mouth of the Tanana that counted migrating salmon into that drainage. I found your site while looking for aquatic insect information relative to trout fishing. Thanks for the great site I'm sure to visit it again.

WF
TroutnutDecember 24th, 2011, 6:35 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Hi WF,

Glad you liked the pictures. I'm sure you've got some great stories from your time in the Alaskan bush... feel free to share them here if you like!

Jason
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.