Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > No fish but some beautiful scenery and a big scary (true) bug!

Jmd123 has attached these 4 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.8X larger)
Lethocerus sp. (Hemiptera: Belostomatidae)
Lethocerus sp. (Hemiptera: Belostomatidae)
Good thing they don't get any bigger!
Good thing they don't get any bigger!
Jmd123November 2nd, 2011, 12:12 pm
Oscoda, MI

Yesterday I checked out another lake stocked with trout that is open all year long. I didn't catch anything and in fact saw no fish rising or anything, but it was a really beautiful place so I couldn't resist taking a few pictures. Then, while walking along the shoreline to stretch my legs, I saw this Lethocerus sp. - giant water bug - swimming along in the shallows. This thing actually came at my boot!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
EntomanNovember 2nd, 2011, 1:44 pm
Northern CA & ID

Jonathon - Ahh... The ol' Toe Biters.

Go to Taxon's forum and check out the few he's got there. There's one that has an extreme close-up with his microscope of the biting parts. Or should I say skewering parts?

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Jmd123November 2nd, 2011, 2:48 pm
Oscoda, MI

Trust me, I knew better than to pick the darned thing up...I collected a specimen once and they have the equivalent of probably a 16-guage needle for a mouth. Plus, there is actually supposed to be some venom involved...

Once upon a time at the University of Michigan Biological Station (a.k.a. Bug Camp), I did pick up a Ranatra sp. "water scorpion" (Hemiptera: Nepidae) without getting poked somehow. I did not try to restrain said bug, just lifted it in a handful of water. It eventually flew away, leaving me unharmed.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
EntomanNovember 2nd, 2011, 4:39 pm
Northern CA & ID

Jonathon -

:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.