Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Thinking Isonychia bicolor

Aafloyd has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
Shown Full Size
AafloydOctober 31st, 2011, 10:08 pm
Mouth of Wilson, VA

Since you guys hopped on my last post so quick I thought I'd try to confirm my I.D. of this one. I'm thinking it is Isonychia bicolor? Picture was taken at dusk in late July in Southwest Virginia.

aaron
OldredbarnOctober 31st, 2011, 10:19 pm
Novi, MI

Aaron,

I'm going to squeak in here with an affirmative...White-Gloved Howdy...Look at the white mitts...

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanOctober 31st, 2011, 10:44 pm
Northern CA & ID

Spence,

Right on the determination, but as far as becoming one of the "bug boys" no cigar. You've got to beat 10 minutes unaided twice in a row and be correct before you qualify. Once you hit the milestone you will be contacted by Roger the High-Priest who will inform you of your new status and set the ceremony date. There you will receive a special set of dichotomous keys and your personal de-coder ring for same. You will also receive a special scanner that will immediately send out a signal if an ID request comes in to Troutnut. It's a piece of cake after that. I could get defrocked or worse for divulging this so keep it to yourself (That's why it's a PM).

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
OldredbarnOctober 31st, 2011, 10:51 pm
Novi, MI

I want the ring! I must have the ring. Ich mus die Ring haben! Bitte? :)
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanOctober 31st, 2011, 11:48 pm
Northern CA & ID

Ha! Saying please wont help...:):) BTW - Speaking of BB Rings - That's where Gonzo the Gray is. Back at the great Library of Minas Tirith. In addition to doing esoteric research on bugs, he's also searching out info on the location of the One Ring to rule them all!
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
TaxonOctober 31st, 2011, 11:56 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Spence-

I want the ring! I must have the ring. Ich muss die Ring haben! Bitte? :)

Geduld, Heuschrecke. :-)

Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
EntomanNovember 1st, 2011, 12:09 am
Northern CA & ID

:)
TaxonNovember 1st, 2011, 12:16 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Aaron-

I'm thinking it is Isonychia bicolor?

It does appears to be Isonychia, but there are at least (8) Isonychia species recorded from VA, only one of which is I. bicolor. So, I would suggest either being content with referring to it as Isonychia, or following Spence's lead, and referring to it as a White-Gloved Howdy.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
OldredbarnNovember 1st, 2011, 9:35 am
Novi, MI

Geduld, Heuschrecke. :-)

You are a very , very, funny man, Roger! It is going to be very difficult for me to remove the grin from my face today. I may even forget that the markets are about to crash...Those Greeks and that democracy thing...Who knew?

I guess I'll be forever forbidden from entering those entomological hallowed halls if I keep referring to tarsi as "mitts"...;)

Spence

TaxonNovember 1st, 2011, 1:50 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Spence-

:-)
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.