Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Fish Skulls

StrmanglrOctober 19th, 2011, 6:27 pm
I'm not too big into throwing heavy stuff, but these look good. Anyone using them with success?

http://flymenfishingcompany.org/products/fish-skull%E2%84%A2-products/fish-skull/

Lol, look at feature point #9, is that true?
SayfuOctober 20th, 2011, 8:52 am
I was given a packet of those skulls by our local flyshop to try. I couldn't find a hook that they would fit over properly...not enough figuring out on my part I guess. It would have to be a straight eyed streamer hook, which I have, but forget exactly why it didn't work? I like the concept. Eyes can be a trigger for predatory fish IMO. I do like the wt. up front as well, and you would get some jigging, tipping forward, wounded bait fish effect, as you strip paused. Mine were not that heavy. Out West here they can tie a streamer with lead, dumbell big eyes, and then lead wrap the shank!! Give yourself room, and learn to make the Belgium cast where you never stop the rod....back to the side of you, and raise the rod slightly at the back, and up over the top, and out of harms way. # 9 ? Don't really care, and not into furthering that notion.
StrmanglrOctober 20th, 2011, 1:28 pm
# 9 ? Don't really care
Lol, Sayfu, me neither, I shouldn't have even mentioned it.

Yeah, where I'm at anything can be tied to the hook. Not exactly sure how I feel about that from a purist point of view. Some of these things that people are tying are just downright lures. The fish skulls I wouldn't classify like that, but they are getting close, and tied the right way would easily fit the script. They look great and other than the skull, it would be the only weight on the hook for the most part. I'm thinking I'm going to give em a try for steelheading over the next 6 months or so.

I'm not familiar with the "Belgium cast" however I can cast weighted flies, just gotta be a little more attentive in what's going on. It's a trip going from a little 16 dry to my heavier pole and casting weight. Thankfully I've never blasted myself in the head.

Thanks for the response.
EntomanOctober 20th, 2011, 2:03 pm
Northern CA & ID

The lines often get blurred these days between lure/jig making and fly tying. Those metal heads up in the left corner of the webpage link look like they might be interesting to use for sculpin imitations.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
SayfuOctober 20th, 2011, 3:13 pm
Stramangir...With a normal cast you make a pronounced stop. The heavy fly can "bounce"/jerk against the stop, and take a path forward towards you, and not where the line is heading. With the Belgium cast you are making an oval with no stop. Once the wt'd fly gets started it stays under load/tension, and follows the oval path over your head, and not towards the back of it. I have been tying streamers on fly/jig hooks to get a pronounced jigging action to the streamer. I use beads from metal to tungsten at the front of the jig hook. The fish heads displayed would have created that action somewhat, and look very attractive.
JesseOctober 23rd, 2011, 10:51 pm
They look pretty sweet but i haven't had the opportunity to fish them, and i probably would never go out of the way to buy them but hey..they look good!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
StrmanglrOctober 24th, 2011, 11:30 am
Entoman, I saw those and was thinking the same thing.

Sayfu, I'm going to go out and work that, maybe today, low 60's and sunny. Get it while it lasts.

Jesse, why wouldn't you fish em? Do you feel like they are just not necessary based on what you tie/fish now?
JesseOctober 24th, 2011, 1:43 pm
Strmanglr, I guess i wouldn't fish those eyes because i like fishing simple; plain old cone heads and dumb bell eyes have always done me well. I feel that fly fishing these days gets way to complicated. People think that they need the newest of patterns or techniques, but in most cases that's totally unnecessary. I mean when you can go to a fly shop now a days and pretty much get artificial hopper patterns right from a bag, or see 100 new chenille/flashabou materials on the wall every month, somethings kind of wrong. However it is also a business that needs to progress, and some of the stuff is great. The eyes look great don't get me wrong, but just like so many other things surrounding fly fishing today, maybe not needed. And yes, the way i tie and fish doesn't call for them in any case. I won't say that in my boxes all you will find is old fashioned hares ears and buggers, because there are some strange, complicated patterns. However, those are probably the patterns that stay in my box the majority of the time.
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
SayfuOctober 26th, 2011, 9:13 am
Jesse. You don't realize how sophisticated fish have become! All but the dinks are Rhodes Scholars! I remember reading a scientific journal entitled "Through the Fishes Eye" I think the book was titled, and how instinctive fish are. An example described was to hang a worm in front of a fish's mouth, and the fish wouldn't accept it....not until it was dropped to the bottom naturally as a worm would naturally fall through the water column. A major point was that the fish didn't relate the one event to the other..the static worm vs. the falling worm. They don't have the power of cognitive thought, and the ability to relate to past events. And then I fish over cutthroat that are supposed to be the easiest trout to catch on a fly, and they drift back observing my fly as it floats, turning away after seeing a fault in my creation/presentation! I too have a number of streamers tied up with the wt'd heads you describe, but those skulls do look attractive.
KeegyNovember 21st, 2011, 3:19 pm
SLC

I use them and like the effect they can give to my large flies. I haven't had the problem with them not fitting over hooks, but I use the medium and small-medium sizes. As you mention, they are fairly heavy and I need to change my casting style on my 5 weight. Here's one of my favorites that has had some success with the trouts.

StrmanglrNovember 22nd, 2011, 11:20 am
Nice tie Keegy. Looks like your not using any other weight than that of the skull. They seem as though they have great potential.
Jmd123November 22nd, 2011, 12:08 pm
Oscoda, MI

I agree - beautiful fly! I bet it works well too.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
OldredbarnNovember 22nd, 2011, 12:09 pm
Novi, MI

I feel that fly fishing these days gets way to complicated. People think that they need the newest of patterns or techniques, but in most cases that's totally unnecessary.

I'm with you Jess..."Simplify, simplify, simplify." Whoever said that ;) ?

I'm already over-burdened with weight and stuff in my vest...Myself I just want to toss a few bugs at them and just see how it goes...

Jesse. You don't realize how sophisticated fish have become!

Sayfu...That's the draw for me. The more lettered they are (PhD's and such) the better. :) I've said it here before, if I were to catch a fish on every cast I would consider it done, problem solved, and move on to something else...We shouldn't let ourselves get so up tight and forget that the poor lowly salmonid's brain really isn't all that big...I know that there are times when us anglers lose sight of this when the little shits aren't playing our game. I haven't won every game of chess I've played either. It shouldn't be easy.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
KeegyNovember 23rd, 2011, 1:49 pm
SLC

strmanglr, yes there is not additional weight, the skull is plenty heavy for my tastes. Thanks for the kind remarks gents.

I'm a bit on the opposite of simplify, but am also drawn by challenging fishing. I like the challenge of catching fish with different patterns and fishing styles. Once a certain pattern/technique combo has led to a few fish, its time for me to change up and try it another way.

JesseNovember 24th, 2011, 10:28 am
Like i have said before, i am always for trying new patterns and techniques, with a few exceptions. Some of these exceptions include when my patterns or techniques won't work. Not to boast, but in most cases i don't have trouble finding ways of catching fish with 'old fashioned' ways. I never really have. There have been days that are slow, and the lines aren't tight very much throughout the day. But on those days its not necessarily about the fly, the presentation, the angler..rather it's about the fish and the conditions and the way that no matter what your using or how naturally your presenting, they aren't having it. The pattern looks great and im sure those eyes make for a great streamer, extended nymph, or whatever it may be. But like i said and spence commented, people today believe that they can't catch fish unless they use the newest techniques and materials (and this goes beyond just those eyes - to make myself clear). Fishes brains are the size of a pea (Spence) and im not going to go way out of my way to think i need the best and newest to catch them.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.