Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Am I missing something??, Page 3

KeystonerOctober 14th, 2011, 6:21 pm
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

Yeah, y'know I guess it could be something about our computers rather than the site itself. Although, I am on a couple of other forums and don't recall being logged off of any other site besides Troutnut. Maybe, I'm just not attempting to write short novels on the VW forums... ...hmmm. That said, I haven't yet tried Spence's little trick yet.

As far as threads gone off track, given the highly philosophical nature of fly fishing, it would almost be un-natural if threads didn't vere off on tangents occasionally. I was actually thinking about this, this very morning as I was, yep, fly fishing.

"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
LastchanceOctober 14th, 2011, 10:29 pm
Portage, PA

I've been politely told that my comments about the lack of honesty in the business world were a bit extreme and insulting. I'm sorry, it's just my opinion. I realize not every business person is dishonest and there are honorable ones. I don't see my comments as any worse than some of the others made on the subject. I have friends that are in business and I tell them the same thing.
I've read my comments again and they don't seem so bad.

Are the rules here different when it comes to politicians?

"Ha! Nor politicians, bureaucrats, or union bosses either. A barrel as big as that must have plenty of bad apples! :)"

WbranchOctober 15th, 2011, 12:35 am
York & Starlight PA

By virtue of the title of the web site "Troutnut" why can't we try and refrain from getting involved in political, religious, of other "hot button" topics? I for one was getting worn out just reading all of the posts on this thread. I've contibuted over 700 posts and threads and have tried to keep them all based in fly fishing for trout, salmon, steelhead, or other gamefish. I come to Troutnut to enjoy myself and not to see guys getting all huffy and pissy about who is writing what about whom.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jmd123October 15th, 2011, 12:57 am
Oscoda, MI

Matt, I'm surprised that you bothered reading them all and didn't get turned off at some point...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
WbranchOctober 15th, 2011, 1:46 am
York & Starlight PA

Jonathon,

I shouldn't of said "reading all the posts on this thread". That was an exaggeration, I read a couple, then got bored, fell asleep and my head bounced off of the keyboard.

Have a great weekend.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
EntomanOctober 15th, 2011, 4:44 am
Northern CA & ID

By virtue of the title of the web site "Troutnut" why can't we try and refrain from getting involved in political, religious, of other "hot button" topics?

Fair admonition, Matt. I hope the answer is yes.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
KeystonerOctober 15th, 2011, 2:30 pm
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

Oops, sorry fellas. Didn't mean to start up a whole big thing here. Let's just call it over. Next thread.

"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
OldredbarnOctober 17th, 2011, 1:14 pm
Novi, MI

Oops, sorry fellas. Didn't mean to start up a whole big thing here. Let's just call it over. Next thread.

Matt,

Except for a couple unintentional misunderstandings I don't see much wrong here...You had a legitimate concern...Are my damn waders made in America? Unfortunately, maybe we should of been more like the "junior scientists" we want to be here and instead of a few mis-choosen words, some actual investigation would of been nice...Maybe sent a reporter over to Simms, whatever.

Afishinado tried to send us in this direction with his post about what's allowed in terms of a percentage of content or whatever to be able to call something made in America. We/I ignored his insight and went on a Rust-Belt rant basically wondering where everyones been on this issue since here in Detroit, as I said, "this boats sailed decades ago."

On my new Simms waders box (purchased waders & boots this last May) there is something that goes like this, "Designed & Tested in Bozeman"...Nothing there about "made"...As afishinado was hinting maybe all it takes these days is some little old local lady in Bozeman sewing on labels to constitute enough to pass muster...

We all are marketed to every minute practically of every day...My wife gets an email from her sister about the new I-Phone and her Sprint provider sent her, almost immediately, an email letting her know that it's available through her plan...How they did that, I don't want to know.

In 1995 I was planning a trip to Montana and spotted a pullover that was called, "Montana Morning Shirt"...It was a basic cold morning pullover, but by calling it a "Montana Morning" one it caught my eye...That's the idea. Madison Ave really doesn't want us asking anyone where in the hell it was made, or whether it was anywhere near Montana...Don't want to screw with our fantasies. It's probably called something else when it's sold in Europe anyway.

To some "Made in America" is a concern and as I said earlier, to others, if it saves me a dime don't bother me with the details.

It the future I will try my damnest to strategicly place my emoticons so those of you who are a little slow on the up-take won't be led astray, or unable to understand Spence's tongue is usually in his cheek, and maybe this will prevent all this...and Jonathon, I wouldn't be so concerned for Matt...He and I are in that place in our lives where we fall asleep for no apparent reason and it doesn't take Spence rambling on to send us to snooze-land...:) Hell! This past spring, after a day astream, I was sleeping through the Wing's games back in my room at the Lodge...I'd wake up and they were doing the post-game and I was fully dressed and not sure at first where I was...One of these days I'll wake up to find myself rocking on the front porch of the old-bullshitter's home...;)

Spence

All the hoop-la and no one called me on to the carpet over the Luang Prabang reference...I thought for sure this one would get me black-listed...:)

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123October 17th, 2011, 3:30 pm
Oscoda, MI

Spence, I'm over this thread and now on to grumbling about the cold, windy weather and the imminent demise of the fly-fishing season...I'm hoping for just a few more days I can throw dry flies & poppers at the bass, panfish, and a few rainbows on a lake not too far from here, but not in this freakin' wind. Maybe big streamers at lake-run browns and/or steelhead on the Rifle...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
OldredbarnOctober 17th, 2011, 5:19 pm
Novi, MI

and now on to grumbling about the cold, windy weather and the imminent demise of the fly-fishing season...

I hear you brother! Well there is tying, ice fishing, cross country skiing, and up until it gets too cold you could drive over towards Grayling and fish some of the year round stuff...You could hook-up with one of them co-eds up that way and chase her around in front of the fireplace until that gets old...;)

I usually try to get a few books under my belt as a distraction until spring. I just ordered Ame's book on mayflies...His caddis book is wonderful and G said that any of his books are worth the read.

I always have big ideas about this time of year...I'm just glad I haven't written any of them down or I'd be depressed for not getting it all done :). I keep meaning to head over toward Jackson...There is a wonderful bird sanctuary there where the Sand Hill Cranes flock up before heading south. I have been there some evenings when there were hundreds and the noise is incredible. There is a Whooper that has been showing up with them the last couple years but I keep missing him...

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
StrmanglrOctober 18th, 2011, 10:50 am
"Go grow a set of claspers buddy and come back when you can hang with the adults."

""You are free to change the channel" there fella...You are holding the remote."

". If someone happens to recognise themselves in a post of mine well...Oops!"

"No matter what, we don't truely know why the !@#$%^&* fish takes our frauds"
Really?

"Are my !@#$%^&* waders made in America?"

"I think what the original boys who started this thread were trying to say, is, that "Made in USA" is a marketing ploy to play in to your fantasy that a manufacturing economy actually exists in the USA and you can rest easy that you are doing your part."
No, re-read the first post.

"They just want you to buy it and shut the hell up"

This is my favorite and probably your best advice-
"You see my name attached you are free to blow by it"

And that's just one thread folks.
EntomanOctober 18th, 2011, 11:36 am
Northern CA & ID

Just when the waters were starting to calm again....
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
TroutnutOctober 19th, 2011, 3:40 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I'm too busy to code a "lock topic" feature onto the site right now, but let's consider this one locked. If it stays alive I'm going to delete the whole shebang.

Everyone find a different topic and go say something about fish! :-P

(Or bugs.)
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Page:123

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.