Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Need help finding a rod and hook manufacturer

Trout11BSeptember 19th, 2011, 9:41 pm
NW Wisconsin

Hello all,

A few months ago I was on here (I think) and ran across a link to a site where a guy had been building fly rods, producing hooks, and even coming out with a fly line that seemed to get good reviews. I believe his name began with an R, but since then I have not been able to remember where I was. I know I'm not really giving a lot of info, but maybe somebody can place the missing puzzle pieces.

Thanks
Balancing school, military, relationships, sports and all the other things in my life with fly fishing.
SayfuSeptember 20th, 2011, 10:01 am
Wow! I see no possibility of that being possible. I know Alex Jackson has his own model hook that he contracted with (the English hook maker!..ugg! I can't think of the name!) to have them make his hook model, but an individual isn't big enough to create hooks, or a flyline. There are only a few flyline makers, and some of their lines are marketed under another name...like Jim Teeny's lines that were made by SA..I don't know if they still do, but I would imagine SA still makes Jim Teeny's lines. Partridge! That was the English hook maker that made a model hook for Alex Jackson.
GutcutterSeptember 20th, 2011, 2:25 pm
Pennsylvania

You may be thinking of "Hook & Hackle" in Homestead, PA. They sell "shop brand" fly line manufactured by Cortland. They also sell shop brand rods etc.
Alec Jackson spey hooks come in odd sizes and are sold by Daiichi.

Hope this helps
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
SayfuSeptember 20th, 2011, 5:17 pm
Posts: 560Gutcutter...Thanks for the correction. I watched Alex tie on his odd sized hooks both being from the Seattle area. His first models were made by Partridge I am fairly certain, then a problem, and now they are made by Daiichi. As I remember they were gold hooks at the time.
OldredbarnSeptember 21st, 2011, 9:54 am
Novi, MI

Our own Shawnny has done some homemade hooks, but I can't remember him experimenting with fly lines or rod construction, but its early yet. :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
FredHSeptember 21st, 2011, 1:57 pm
Lake Charles , Louisiana

If it's salmon fly hooks , you may be thinking about Ronn Lucas
http://www.realisticflytying.net

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.