Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Today's picture on the top of the screen - BRRRRRR!!!!

Jmd123September 19th, 2011, 1:39 pm
Oscoda, MI

C'mon Jason, it's still technically summer here in the lower 48! We just had the earliest cold snap I can remember here in northern lower Michigan, and a bunch of my friends' gardens just got killed (one even covered them up in plastic sheeting and it didn't help). A big pumpkin patch just north of me got wiped out too, and the poor farmer has almost a month and a half to go until Halloween! Please, no more pictures of SNOW!! Can't we just have some pretty fall colors???

Must be gettin' cold up your way, huh?

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
SofthackleSeptember 19th, 2011, 8:55 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Love it!!!!! Love the fall AND the winter. I'm sure I'll be more sensitive to the cold this year.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Jmd123September 19th, 2011, 9:34 pm
Oscoda, MI

I was personally hoping for some actual FALL weather this year. Seems we got slammed right from hot summer - I was snorkeling a week ago today - into late October, what with our three-nights-in-a-row frosts. Although, it sure seems to have finshed off the mosquitos, and no, I sure don't miss them. Should get our fall colors going pretty soon, too...

BTW Mark, how are you doing these days? I hope all is going well with your treatments and etc. so far!

Jonathon

P.S. I am a cross-country skier and ice fisherman, so I don't mind winter too much, but JUST NOT YET!!!
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
GutcutterSeptember 20th, 2011, 7:01 am
Pennsylvania

Jon
The Troutnut may be yanking our chains a bit with the winter trout stream photos.
From the National Weather Service over the next 24hours

Fairbanks - 64/46
Anchorage - 58/48

From some of our forum members locale:
Buffalo - 58/43
Denver - 61/46
Detroit - 60/44
Grand Rapids - 59/39
Kansas city - 62/46
Milwauke- 57/42
Minneapolis - 56/38
Pittsburgh - 62/42
Seattle - 67/51
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Jmd123September 20th, 2011, 11:32 am
Oscoda, MI

Tony, perhaps I should send Jason a few shots of our impending fall colors once they get underway (pretty soon)...

It's warmed up a bit here now - thank goodness because I'm off to a camping trip this weekend (star party, an amateur astronomers' gathering) and also want to fish those hoppers for a little while longer!

Jonathon
SofthackleSeptember 20th, 2011, 12:00 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Jmd,
Doing fair. Taking it one day at a time. Thanks for asking.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
TroutnutSeptember 22nd, 2011, 12:08 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

The banner photos for each day are selected by an automatic algorithm, which apparently wanted you to think about winter!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Jmd123September 22nd, 2011, 1:53 pm
Oscoda, MI

And I see that today's picture is now looking a bit more fall-like. Good, I'm not quite ready for winter yet! We're just getting our first hints of fall color around here - I took my biology class for a field trip out to Clark's Marsh today and we saw a few red maples turning bright red. Let's have a little autumn before the snow and ice start flying!

Jonathon
OldredbarnSeptember 22nd, 2011, 4:29 pm
Novi, MI

Jonathon,

Isn't it unfortunate that Jason leaves us to the whims of an algorithm?! Lets hope he ain't using any of that funky math up there with his sweetie...They are still newlyweds after all and this old romantic, of the old-school, still thinks that spontaneity is the spice of life...;)and I still have the scars to prove it...

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123September 22nd, 2011, 4:36 pm
Oscoda, MI

Spence, you're absolutely right. I thought Jason was showing us his latest photos of local conditions, but now he tells us that it's just driven by a mathematical formula...how cold. Makes me even colder! Where's the warm, personal touch??? Let's have some seasonally appropriate photos...like the one up there right now!

Jonathon
TroutnutSeptember 22nd, 2011, 10:00 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Isn't it unfortunate that Jason leaves us to the whims of an algorithm?!

But it's a good algorithm!

It cycles through all the photos that haven't been used in the current cycle, and chooses the one closest to the current date. Once they're all used up, it starts the cycle over again. When it restarts the cycle, it usually matches the current date pretty closely, but the matches get farther and farther away as the cycle finishes. In the long run, when I actually have 365 photos in the rotation, it'll steadily track the current time of year fairly well.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
OldredbarnSeptember 22nd, 2011, 10:50 pm
Novi, MI

J...We just playing wit ya...Any algorithm that's a friend of yours is a friend of ours...;)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123September 23rd, 2011, 10:42 am
Oscoda, MI

I am curious, though - how ARE your local conditions right now, Jason? Winter closing in on ya? Still doing any fishing? We had one hell of a cold snap down here in northern lower MI, the earliest I can remember it getting that cold. Sadly, though, it did not kill off the mosquitos! I've gotten at least five bites in the past few days and had to kill two of them last night out on [REDACTED] Pond while chasing brookies! We have seven days left in regular trout season, when almost all of the Pine River system (plus [REDACTED] Pond) closes for the next seven months so I am going to be putting in some last-chance effort this coming weekend and next week...

Jonathon
OldredbarnSeptember 23rd, 2011, 11:32 am
Novi, MI

We have seven days left in regular trout season, when almost all of the Pine River system (plus [REDACTED] Pond) closes for the next seven months so I am going to be putting in some last-chance effort this coming weekend and next week...

Was it Horace Greeley that said, "Go West Young Man"...Some of the quality stretches upstream a ways from you offer year round fishing...Check the regs...

I personally like to leave the little shits alone when they are working on reproduction. I feel it's bad enough when I interupt their dinners, hassling them when they are working so hard on giving us the next generation of fish to chase...Well that's just mean! Coitus interruptus would make just about anyone snarky...

Snarky...I stuck that word in there for Gonzo...He's a vocab-man...:)

Spence

Jmd123September 23rd, 2011, 12:24 pm
Oscoda, MI

Spence, the Rifle River mainstem below Sage Lake Road is open year-round, as there are steelhead, salmon (if there's any left??), and lake-run browns in there. Plus, there's several lakes stocked with rainbows in the Huron NF and the Rifle River Rec Area that are also open all year - more kayak fly fishing! (Perhaps some ice fishing this winter??) And of course, the lower Au Sable within walking distance of my house - gotta start throwing some flies around there soon. But the Pine has captured my heart, as I love small streams and brook trout. I may hike up the feeder creek of [REDACTED] Pond sans fishing gear this fall just to watch them spawn...

Jonathon
Jmd123September 23rd, 2011, 12:28 pm
Oscoda, MI

P.S. Skipped the star party due to cloudy conditions - a star party isn't any fun when you can't see the stars! Plus it's supposed to be kinda rainy...probably gonna be a good weekend to spend behind the tying bench, especially as the brookies have been steadily chewing up my fly supply.

Jonathon
TroutnutSeptember 23rd, 2011, 1:14 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I am curious, though - how ARE your local conditions right now, Jason? Winter closing in on ya? Still doing any fishing?

It's been unseasonably warm in Fairbanks, but that's poised to end this weekend. We still haven't even had a major frost yet.

I haven't been fishing much, though. Grayling fishing really goes downhill at this time of year. Burbot fishing should be picking up in the next few weeks before ice-up on the Tanana, so I might go take a shot at that again.

I did have a pretty adventurous caribou hunt. I didn't succeed, but I came really close. I'll be posting about that when I have the time.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Jmd123September 23rd, 2011, 1:48 pm
Oscoda, MI

"We still haven't even had a major frost yet."

Are you kidding me??? We've already had so much frost that the tomatoes, beans, and pumpkins are DEAD around here! Sadly, though, not the damned mosquitos as I mentioned above...at least those deer flies are long gone. Pretty hard not to believe in climate change when things are so turned on their heads. And we had one hell of a hot summer too.

Jonathon
TroutnutSeptember 25th, 2011, 1:50 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I still have a few tomatoes growing on my vines. We picked everything and brought them inside about a week ago because of frost risk, but we missed a few really tiny ones, and they're still growing. That's insane for Fairbanks in late September.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Jmd123September 25th, 2011, 12:16 pm
Oscoda, MI

Warm enough for tomatoes in Fairbanks, AK but they're already dead in northern lower MI...Oh Mother Earth, forgive us, we know not what we do...

Jonathon

P.S. My friends told me that they usually get another month out of their (now dead) pole beans.
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.