Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Good Hoppers (for previous post)

Jesse has attached these 3 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (4.5X larger)
JesseAugust 15th, 2011, 1:04 pm
Some excellent foam tied hoppers!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
TroutnutAugust 15th, 2011, 9:10 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Very nice! How well do they ride on the water?
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
FredHAugust 16th, 2011, 9:02 am
Lake Charles , Louisiana

very cool Jesse
http://www.realisticflytying.net
JesseAugust 16th, 2011, 10:23 am
Jason they ride great on the water!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
OldredbarnAugust 16th, 2011, 4:38 pm
Novi, MI

Why am I always the damn contrarian?! When I saw these my first response was, "How do you spell L.U.R.E.?"

You would think that a guy that is a vegetarian since he was 16 would be rather fond of plastic materials as opposed to the "natural" stuff, but I personally would not tie one of these on...I'm not trying to dredge up any old arguments, I understand "to each their own", but there you have it...

In terms of craftiness I suppose they are cute.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
FalsiflyAugust 16th, 2011, 5:04 pm
Hayward, WI.

Careful Spence, lest the locust plague descendith upon you and render you helpless, leaving your only salvation repenting your blasphemous ways.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
OldredbarnAugust 16th, 2011, 5:22 pm
Novi, MI

Allan...It's just an opinion, blasphemous though it may be...What do I know anyway? The old Au Sable isn't really known as much of a hopper stream...I have no memory of ever tossing one there...Ever! Slough Creek on the other hand...;) The Henry's Fork...I remember arriving at the Harriman Ranch fairly early a couple mornings and you can find them in the grass still a bit too cold to move very fast...I may of had an odd "young boys" curiousity and wanted to see if they could swim...It really wasn't fair and very scientific since they weren't moving so fast to begin with...It's an old trick I learned from the Indians...No I think it was some old "PA Boys"...;) They were chumming with Jap Beetles though...

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
JesseAugust 16th, 2011, 5:35 pm
FOAM hoppers spence, and if you were on some water where fish loved hoppers, and you were watching me wack them with this pattern more so then normal...i think you might want to try one out ha!
TNEALAugust 16th, 2011, 5:54 pm
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

The East Branch of Michigan's AuSable used to be prime-time hopper fishing... that's pretty much gone now... the upper AuSable still is pretty good.. browns have replaced what used to be mostly brookies... but the browns are much larger... okay trade-off, I guess...
OldredbarnAugust 16th, 2011, 11:38 pm
Novi, MI

FOAM hoppers spence, and if you were on some water where fish loved hoppers, and you were watching me wack them with this pattern more so then normal...i think you might want to try one out ha!

Jess,

You know I'd be getting a kick out of your success and having the chance to share a stream somewhere with you, but some old dogs are stubborn and don't get too rattled when you young whipper-snappers out fish them...:)

I'll have to somehow figure out some way of getting a picture or two of the hoppers I've used up here...I have to remember before I do whether or not its a pattern I've been sworn to secrecy on or not...:)

Tight Lines!

Spence

Shawnny3August 17th, 2011, 4:34 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

You know I'd be getting a kick out of your success and having the chance to share a stream somewhere with you, but some old dogs are stubborn and don't get too rattled when you young whipper-snappers out fish them...:)

Nicely put, Spence. These are pretty flies, Jess. I personally wouldn't fish them, but you've certainly attended to making them convincing imitations of the originals, and I'm sure they are great fish catchers.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
JesseAugust 18th, 2011, 6:46 pm
Well thanks boys and i can't lie i do have some old letort, parachute, and other more 'old school' custimized hopper patterns that work excellently. But yeah spence maybe next time i head north we'll have to get in touch and do some fishing!
OldredbarnAugust 19th, 2011, 12:54 pm
Novi, MI

But yeah spence maybe next time i head north we'll have to get in touch and do some fishing!

Jess...You would feel right at home just about anytime during the month of June...Big Bugs (Brown Drake, Iso's, Gray Drakes, and the lovely little Hexagenia...;) Not to mention all the other mayflies, stones, and caddis bouncing about.

If I may Jess I would like to commend you on how you handled my critique of the hoppers above...You take all this stuff, even from the old river-farts, in stride. That's good because I hope you know I didn't mean anything by it and others here would of seen red and retorted with all guns blazing as if I was personally pissing on their wading boots...You seem to have a great disposition and it would be a pleasure to share a beat with you!

Tight Lines Mister!

Spence

JesseAugust 21st, 2011, 6:52 pm
Spence i must say i surely do appreciate the comments and next time i make my way up north (probably next summer) we'll see what we can do. The Delaware is a river i only fished once and loved and if its not to far a weekend there would be fun stuff. Im leaving for Montana tomorrow morning for my last year of schooling so im pretty excited about that! Western waters here i come!
Shawnny3August 21st, 2011, 8:04 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

If I may Jess I would like to commend you on how you handled my critique of the hoppers above...You take all this stuff, even from the old river-farts, in stride.

Agreed. More than once on this forum I've been impressed with Jessie's attitude (let alone his fish!). You've got to have the right temperament to get along with this group of misfits. Most of us have some strong opinions about things that don't matter to almost anyone else. Or maybe I'm just speaking for me.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
EntomanAugust 22nd, 2011, 4:45 pm
Northern CA & ID

Shawn -

You've got to have the right temperament to get along with this group of misfits. Most of us have some strong opinions about things that don't matter to almost anyone else. Or maybe I'm just speaking for me.

Well, you are speaking for me also, so that's at least two of us.:)

Jesse -

There are no right or wrong ways to apply materials to a hook, just different ways. However, there are two undebatable requirements of well tied flies - neatness and consistency. You score high on both counts. As the lost Jedi said to Luke, "Your skills are complete." At least with this pattern. :)

Regards,

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
JesseAugust 25th, 2011, 1:00 pm
Haha oh man, Shawn, Kurt and Spence...I do thank you for your comments its always great to hear that kind of encouragement from fellow flyers!
AnoraAugust 26th, 2011, 3:09 am
united states

Jesse,

They are looking very cool...
There way of riding in water is amazing....
SayfuAugust 29th, 2011, 10:39 am
Allow me to be the contrarian on the design. The pattern looks great, and definitely a super looking hopper pattern. However, flies that are tied with materials of substance off the back of the hook bend but for a very short distance, result in missed takes as the trout tends to push them out of the way, and miss the hook. Maybe they take that hopper so well that doesn't happen, dunno.
JesseAugust 31st, 2011, 12:57 am
Sayfu i don't mean any disrespect on your comment but i can't say i noticed that problem thus far. Most the takes ive had on it have been really aggressive without being pushed away.
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.