Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > extended-body dries

RogueratAugust 2nd, 2011, 8:37 pm
has anyone tried the extended body wire 'bases' available from Renzetti? or made their own? I ran across this in an online video and am considering some home-brewed versions.
I fish a fair number of drakes, hexes, etc,and after tying and trying deer-hair, dubbed, and foam extended bodies this new-to-me system looks really interesting.

see ya' on The Rogue!
MartinlfAugust 3rd, 2011, 10:29 pm
Palmyra PA

Haven't tried it. I did get some orthodontic wire from my daughter's orthodontist, thinking it might have a fly tying application, though. Perhaps that would be it. Good luck; let us know how it worked. I made some extended bodies with furled polyyarn this season and they worked OK.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
RogueratAugust 4th, 2011, 10:47 am
I tried paper-clips last night, guess the steel is too soft since I had a lot of flexing when wrapping on...next try is stainless wire (since I've got 2 kids in braces, your method sounds really hopeful!). I'll keep you posted on progress here.

I've also tried the Stalcup method of a needle wrapped with thread/dubbing, it looks great but doesn't hold up well under repeated casting- inadvertantly ended up with a crippled hex dun which also looked great- at least to me.
RogueratAugust 5th, 2011, 12:40 pm
RogueratAugust 5th, 2011, 12:46 pm
well, I tried the SS wire for a base. it doesn't deform under wrapping tension but has a fair amount of 'give' and springiness. If I ever get my camera to upload properly I'll post some pictures of the wire and results as I progress on this effort.

I'm still thinking of sliding stiff mono into the completed extended body, hoping to give it more support and maybe a somewhat longer casting lifespan.

I Peter 5:7...'Cast your cares upon Him'
RogueratAugust 8th, 2011, 10:05 am
making some progress here; after experimentation on Hexes in sz 8 and 10 I dropped down to a sz 12 for a Grey Drake pattern since they'e popping up on The Muskegon now. I waxed the wire-base first then laid down a length of small-dia. stiff mono running length-ways, then the foam over that. the rest of the process is usual of wrapping forward to create segmentation then tying it all on the hook shank.

to keep the extended body from looking too rotund I also switched to 1 mm foam, hence the added mono for strength.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.